Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Importance of A+B Power?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Importance of A+B Power?

Would anyone want this or pay more for it? It applies to dedicated servers, but also VPS that comes out of it.

Especially seeing that a power failure could possible destroy RAID cards and the data etc causing a huge mess as well.

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

A power failure is an obviously catastrophic failure, it comes down to if you care about redundancy.

Edit: to more directly answer your question, if your clients care about their data, or uptime, then I'm sure they'll have an interest in this. If not immediately, most definitely through an up-sell on your part if you explain the benefits.

• @RobertClarke said:
    A power failure is an obviously catastrophic failure, it comes down to if you care about redundancy.

Yeah well, that's the question. You just rephrased it :)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:
    Yeah well, that's the question. You just rephrased it :)

Edited what I said to better respond to your question.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

As we have seen in cases as BuyVM and FH, the power can fail on one leg pretty often, be it because of a wire failure, maintenance error, a fuse or a UPS reboot.
    In this case you do not wish to have single psu or single power leg.
    For my colo server where i test the network, it can be without, after all, the raid card already failed of old age and now there are 2 sata drives without any raid, so, if it fails, nothing much will happen, except i have to go there to collect the corpse, but if I have customers on it, that will be a very different story.

• @Maounique said:
    As we have seen in cases as BuyVM and FH, the power can fail on one leg pretty often

A+B isn't even available at FH still apparently, so enough said, but agrees on the rest.

Do you have A+B @ Prometueus?

• @concerto49 said:
    Would anyone want this or pay more for it? It applies to dedicated servers, but also VPS that comes out of it.

Especially seeing that a power failure could possible destroy RAID cards and the data etc causing a huge mess as well.

I wouldn't pay more for it, I more of less expect a host to do this. It's their business on the line if a server fails and they can't easily recover. I've got some experience with a messed up RAID set and it's always very ugly.

• @mpkossen said:
    I wouldn't pay more for it, I more of less expect a host to do this. It's their business on the line if a server fails and they can't easily recover. I've got some experience with a messed up RAID set and it's always very ugly.

For a $7/5GB VPS? 0.o

• This is BUDGET hosting we're talking about here. This isn't Linode, or some other high-end provider. Power is already spendy, adding another layer of cost onto it isn't going to keep stuff below $7 per month.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Very few non enterprise customers buy A/B from us.

• @concerto49 said:
    For a $7/5GB VPS? 0.o

Even for those. Not that I would buy it, but still. It's an investment in your own equipment as well. If it breaks down, you've got to buy new stuff. Saving it may be cheaper.

• A+B power on supermicro at least both connect to the a single power interface board and introduces an additional single point of failure.