Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new Mac Pro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The new Mac Pro

erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
edited June 2013 in General

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

What do people think despite the beautiful presentation and the pretty intuitive design?

I love the design, won't be buying though, because:

a) overpriced

b) overpowered

c) I prefer building my own workstations

Comments

• 12 core Xeon, ECC 1866Mhz Memory, PCI-E Disk.
    I think it would be double 6 core Xeons?

• I cant be the only one that seems the resemblance between the new mac pro and a baby diaper trash can

VS

• Overpriced? They havent revealed the pricing yet.

• Got to say, I'm actually quite impressed. Shame I don't have the money to buy Mac computers anymore (despite having an iPhone, iPad and MacBookPro..)

• @eric1212 said:
    Overpriced? They havent revealed the pricing yet.

Just the price of the hardware without the Apple pricetag is already not worth it...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I thought the pci-e was an interesting route.

If I had the money I would probably buy one. For those that had been waiting for the next version for a while, I doubt they will be disappointed.

• Ivy Bridge E. Lots of RAM!

• earlearl Member

Would be neat if it doubles as an air purifier..

• Well, at least if it falls off your desk, it'll just roll around a bit. And hit some walls and stuff. Hmm... Maybe not such a good thing.

• Advantage : You can easily roll your updates and perfectly be able to rollback...

• Wonder if I could get a ping pong ball to float on top

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2013

Can't be overpriced because you can't build that kind of hardware for anything close to just about any price they would throw on it. If anyone here can build a system with Xeon, ECC, dual GPU, audio, sufficient USB ports, thunderbolt or equivalent, have at it. Quite simply, they don't make motherboards like this (or with enough expansion slots to make equivalent) for you to purchase. Anything can be rigged but then try to fit it in a nice case where you can control air flow and not have a huge oversized mess on your hands, not to mention how much more it'd cost you because you'd have to daisy chain so many things ;)

Now if it's too much or just not the right product for your needs, sure don't buy it. These things are typically marketed to high end production needs anyway like 3D, high end video editing, powerful audio processing, etc.

It's a beast of a machine from what we know so far. The design seems like it could be quite useful for cooling, and the thunderbolt can easily handle external expansions of even very demanding hardware. I'll not likely be considering one, but in the next year or so when it comes time to replace my video rig I'll not rule it out from anything I know right now. Interested in seeing how much flash memory they shove in it. I'm doubting less than 2TB with them boasting all flash storage, unless I misheard that part.

• rds100rds100 Member

It's R2D2's evil cousin :)

• GaNiGaNi Member

• tommytommy Member

trash bag :P