Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to know it's the right time to switch to own servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to know it's the right time to switch to own servers?

Suppose you are providing shared hosting on a reseller. How can you know that it's the time to switch to own servers?

P.S. Sorry that I've been making lots of post on LET.

Comments

• blackblack Member

For me it would be when the performance is no longer consistent, the performance has degraded drastically since the initial purchase, or it's overall cheaper to move to your own server.

• It depends what number of users you have on a shared reselling hosting and what resources you have currently on a reseller hosting plan.

• From my experience, after 50 cpanel accounts

• @jetchirag said:
    Suppose you are providing shared hosting on a reseller. How can you know that it's the time to switch to own servers?

You should never apologize when asking legitimate questions and trying to better your own knowledge.

I was in a situation where my host's performance wasn't enough for what I wanted to do. I was paying a reasonable amount and DDoS attacks happened occasionally.

I was so hell bent on looking for a reseller hosting provider that could cover my needs even if it meant spending $40/mo at the time. DDoS attacks weren't just my issue either. The server was compromised at one point and that's when I knew I had to do something.

It's big and scary to consider moving to your own setup but if you're using cPanel it's honestly pretty straight forward. The installer does pretty much everything for you.

There's no magic number as to when you should switch but if you're asking the question now it's likely your performance is suffering already and you're doubting the setup in place.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • @jetchirag said:

From a business perspective you need to consider if it's feasible and that you can actually cover the costs of doing it - If you have no experience managing your own company you might need a managed server.

Rather than going to a Dedicated Server from a reseller account it would probably be best to go for a VPS first, and scale up as you need, eventually reaching up to a dedicated server.

Thanked by 1Jorbox
  • @WSCallum said:

@jetchirag said:

From a business perspective you need to consider if it's feasible and that you can actually cover the costs of doing it - If you have no experience managing your own company you might need a managed server.

Rather than going to a Dedicated Server from a reseller account it would probably be best to go for a VPS first, and scale up as you need, eventually reaching up to a dedicated server.

Right
    For dns setup, editing, managing etc
    After you know how to play
    Move to didi

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Do you have any current customers ? Getting shared customers can be more difficult than vps .

• @IThinkUFailed said:

@jetchirag said:

You should never apologize when asking legitimate questions and trying to better your own knowledge.

I was in a situation where my host's performance wasn't enough for what I wanted to do. I was paying a reasonable amount and DDoS attacks happened occasionally.

I was so hell bent on looking for a reseller hosting provider that could cover my needs even if it meant spending $40/mo at the time. DDoS attacks weren't just my issue either. The server was compromised at one point and that's when I knew I had to do something.

It's big and scary to consider moving to your own setup but if you're using cPanel it's honestly pretty straight forward. The installer does pretty much everything for you.

There's no magic number as to when you should switch but if you're asking the question now it's likely your performance is suffering already and you're doubting the setup in place.

I am worried about same, I have already sorted DDOS protected server and some people. I hope there wouldn't be any incident like that.

@WSCallum said:

@jetchirag said:

Will the VPS be able to handle my needs? Can I pm you with stat?

@Jorbox said:
    Right
    For dns setup, editing, managing etc
    After you know how to play
    Move to didi

Yes, already handling many VPS, and this that of Shared hosting customers.

hostdare said: Do you have any current customers ? Getting shared customers can be more difficult than vps .

Numbers of customers are increasing and that's why I am considering to move.

• @black said:
    For me it would be when the performance is no longer consistent, the performance has degraded drastically since the initial purchase, or it's overall cheaper to move to your own server.

Won't be cheaper but 10x more expensive than current. But I'll get total control of server to provide better support.

Thanked by 1Jorbox