Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are features you as a client want to see
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are features you as a client want to see

I'm interested in seeing what the community wants to see as an additional value-added service to their VPS. Things like DNS and off-loaded SQL are becoming more and more standard (less so with SQL, but it's popping up more frequently now than in the past). What is a feature you wish more providers offered, or cannot find anywhere on the market right now?

What draws your attention to a provider in this case? Things like KVM vs OpenVZ, the panel they use, IPv6 support, SSD-Cache/SSD VPS, so on.

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited June 2013

@SkylarM said:
    What draws your attention to a provider in this case? Things like KVM vs OpenVZ, the panel they use, IPv6 support, SSD-Cache/SSD VPS, so on.

I get a real kick out of having a 1Gbit port..not that I really download anything but recently it seems to play a big part in my purchasing decision.. you can thank Ramnode for this!

• @earl said:
    I get a real kick out of having a 1Gbit port..not that I really download anything but recently it seems to play a big part in my purchasing decision.. you can thank Ramnode for this!

1Gbit ports are basically awesome. Gotta love these.

• trexostrexos Member
    edited June 2013

I look at:

1) minimal images of debian 6.0 and if possible 7.0 64bit
    2) SolusVM
    3) TUN/TAP and PPP
    4) good ping to Germany/Europe

Why?

1) I like a clean system without any extras and more ram :)
    2) it works and it's clear
    3) sometimes I need a VPN :D
    4) because I live there and need a good connection

• Use KVM, though with lower resource allowance on paper, is more welcomed by low end users.
    IPv6s don't seem to be much big a deal.
    SSD-Cache looks attractive, but most users won't ever reach such an insane IO as bandwidth and traffic are quite limited on low end level. Also, this generally would decrease the storage quota due to the cost, which may stop some users.

Apart from these, I think pre-made templates with Kloxo-ready or VNC-ready would be quite useful.

• earlearl Member

Being able to cap your monthly bandwidth, or lower the port speed after you have consumed your monthly bandwidth allowance would also be a plus IMO.. it sure would give you piece of mind that you won't get charged BW overages unless you wish to purchase more BW..

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited June 2013

@earl said:
    Being able to cap your monthly bandwidth, or lower the port speed after you have consumed your monthly bandwidth allowance would also be a plus IMO.. it sure would give you piece of mind that you won't get charged BW overages unless you wish to purchase more BW..

This is something that I have been considering for a while now. A proposed amendment to our TOS(edit: yeah we're gonna go ahead and do that):

Crissic Solutions, LLC does not charge for bandwidth overages. If a client goes over their allocated bandwidth, the service will be port limited until the beginning of the next pay period at a rate of 10Mbps. Customers may contact sales to purchase additional bandwidth at the rate of $2.50/TB as a monthly addon or at a one time fee for the current pay period.

• krokro Member
    edited June 2013

I wrote instant rdns into kgo vps panel but DCs wont allow rdns delegation. HE.net tunnel instant rdns working in NZ only

instant as in automated.

• @Zen said:
    Standards:

Instant R-DNS

Not really possible, if you mean you click a button and it instantly propagates. Propagation can take 24-48 hours sometimes. If you mean you put in a request and it's applied to the IP immediately, THAT requires the host to have their OWN IP's, which takes a financial commitment a new host might not be able to make. If they're reasonably quick about passing the request along to the Datacenter, though, it's not too bad.

• krokro Member

I think he means automated.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Not really possible, if you mean you click a button and it instantly propagates. Propagation can take 24-48 hours sometimes. If you mean you put in a request and it's applied to the IP immediately, THAT requires the host to have their OWN IP's, which takes a financial commitment a new host might not be able to make. If they're reasonably quick about passing the request along to the Datacenter, though, it's not too bad.

We don't own our IPs, but we did get dns delegation. Own the servers though.

• @Magiobiwan I think you're looking at that from a particular perspective as a vps customer instant rDNS can be

Easily had assuming a unique host name perhaps and my assigned primary Ip

+1 @Zen

• Properly priced KVM machines with IPv6 and an SSL-secured SolusVM with a valid commercial certificate.