Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[i-83.net] is this over-over-provisioned ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[i-83.net] is this over-over-provisioned ?

maylimayli Member
edited April 2017 in General

I got extremely slow IO operations on my i-83 NAT vps at North Carolina. IO was fine at early this year, and become this.

root@nc:~# time touch newfile

real    0m5.998s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.001s
root@nc:~# time rm newfile

real    0m1.953s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.002s

Did any one have similar experience?

Did your i-83 vps slow down recently?
  1. Did your i-83 vps slow down recently?58 votes
    1. Yes
      46.55%
    2. No
      12.07%
    3. what is I-83?
      41.38%

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Have you submitted a ticket?

• For that price I am really not surprise if its overprovision.

• maylimayli Member
    edited April 2017

@trewq said:
    Have you submitted a ticket?

Yes

@masterqqq said:
    For that price I am really not surprise if its overprovision.

It was overprovision for sure, but I didn't expect it was that OVER provisioned. 5.9 seconds to create an empty file is way beyond my expectation.

This annually service ends at 14/04/2017. I had to decide should I continue this service.

Thanked by 3trewq sayem314 Dormeo
  • WSSWSS Member

If your $0.02/day isn't being fulfilled, you might as well move on.

• HxxxHxxx Member

@WSS this guy. Good job

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • if anyone wants to sell me a 128 or 256 box, im lookin to buy. send me ur offers plz

• This is because of RAID rebuilding.
    Check their network status page.
    Https://quadhost.net/account/serverstatus.php

Unfortunately, these servers will take a very long time to rebuild, and you will have to take the inconvenience during that time.

Thanked by 1mayli
  • nah they are so slow and shit. sell them to me before you regret it
    SELL SELL SELL

Thanked by 1switsys
  • DaipuX said: This is because of RAID rebuilding. Check their network status page. Https://quadhost.net/account/serverstatus.php

Unfortunately, these servers will take a very long time to rebuild, and you will have to take the inconvenience during that time.

Well, almost a month to take rebuild?

• nah 12 months, crazy i know, i heard its best to just sell em now while you have the chance.

you should PM that guy looking to buy em, what a crazy person to want to purchase such crappy vps'

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • Speaking for just me, I'd rather have a server taken completely offline for a day or so to rebuild (with a bit of warning if possible), than to stay online but degraded for weeks or months, while also under heightened risk of an additional drive failure.

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • @theqkash said:

DaipuX said: This is because of RAID rebuilding. Check their network status page. Https://quadhost.net/account/serverstatus.php

Well, almost a month to take rebuild?

Yes. Really.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    Speaking for just me, I'd rather have a server taken completely offline for a day or so to rebuild (with a bit of warning if possible), than to stay online but degraded for weeks or months, while also under heightened risk of an additional drive failure.

That also sounds like a recipe for another disk failing during a month-long rebuild. Seriously, take it offline for a day and let it rebuild.

Thanked by 2Francisco klikli
  • nah nah, run the risk.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • maylimayli Member

@Harambe said:

@willie said:
    Speaking for just me, I'd rather have a server taken completely offline for a day or so to rebuild (with a bit of warning if possible), than to stay online but degraded for weeks or months, while also under heightened risk of an additional drive failure.

That also sounds like a recipe for another disk failing during a month-long rebuild. Seriously, take it offline for a day and let it rebuild.

Doing it offline won't accelerate it a lot, it's just the HDD was too slow.

@DaipuX said:
    This is because of RAID rebuilding.
    Check their network status page.
    Https://quadhost.net/account/serverstatus.php

Thanks, good to know why it becomes so slow recently.

• edited April 2017

I ran the same tests as you did on both my servers with NAT i-83, and got significantly better results, so I think (alongside what others have said) the degraded performance you're experiencing is most likely due to the RAID rebuild, hopefully meaning that the performance improves soon.

Here are my results:

Naaldwijk, Netherlands

root@ndk1-nl:~# time touch newfile

real    0m0.001s
    user    0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.000s
    root@ndk1-nl:~# time rm newfile   

real    0m0.009s
    user    0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.001s

Falkenstein, Germany

root@flk1-de:~# time touch newfile

real    0m0.106s
    user    0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.000s
    root@flk1-de:~# time rm newfile

real    0m0.001s
    user    0m0.000s
    sys 0m0.001s

For the price I'm paying, I'm pleased with the performance of the servers.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

mayli said: Doing it offline won't accelerate it a lot, it's just the HDD was too slow.

You'll only make slow disks even slower by having dozens or hundreds of containers trying to function on top of them. I don't think you understand how hard drives work.

• matthewkilpatrick said: real 0m0.001s

That's the ram cache.

• @willie said:

matthewkilpatrick said: real 0m0.001s

That's the ram cache.

Oh, that'd make sense.
    Doesn't matter now anyway as I've cancelled all my services with them due to their lack of communication. I should have made sure I was testing it to the actual disk when I ran those tests.

• matthewkilpatrick said: cancelled all my services with them due to their lack of communication.

Did that even work? You have a credit balance with them now, or what? How will you use it?

• @willie said:

matthewkilpatrick said: cancelled all my services with them due to their lack of communication.

Did that even work? You have a credit balance with them now, or what? How will you use it?

I chose to cancel at the end of the billing cycle: so I've got 1 VPS sat idle for that time, and I presume the other sat offline until then. So no credit balance - just going at the end of the time - I felt that was better than immediate cancellation.

• Oh I see. Mine are paid through this November. They are a pretty good deal if i83 ever gets its act together, but I'm pessimistic these days.

Thanked by 1matthewkilpatrick
  • Has anyone heard anything (ticket response, forum post, tweet...) from i83/QH since April 14?

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    Has anyone heard anything (ticket response, forum post, tweet...) from i83/QH since April 14?

Perhaps they're trapped in a private network with no way OUT?!

Thanked by 1default
  • @willie said:

matthewkilpatrick said: cancelled all my services with them due to their lack of communication.

Service gets terminated in a day without refund if you choose immediate cancellation.

• advarisk said: Service gets terminated in a day without refund if you choose immediate cancellation.

Wow, you mean the unused part isn't even converted to credit? That's what happens with most hosts I know of. Getting actual refunds is a different story but they're usually ok with swapping one service for another.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@willie said:

advarisk said: Service gets terminated in a day without refund if you choose immediate cancellation.

Wow, you mean the unused part isn't even converted to credit? That's what happens with most hosts I know of. Getting actual refunds is a different story but they're usually ok with swapping one service for another.

WHMCS cancels the service without credit automaticly, if providers credit your account without hou sending in a ticket, they either monitor cancellations or have had an hook installed.

Thanked by 1willie
  • WSSWSS Member

@mikho said:
    WHMCS cancels the service without credit automaticly, if providers credit your account without hou sending in a ticket, they either monitor cancellations or have had an hook installed.

@quadhost already had a hook.

"Don't give a shit."

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

"Don't give a shit."

True dat.