Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM - Installing OS from ISO [SOLVED]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM - Installing OS from ISO [SOLVED]

aglodekaglodek Member
edited June 2013 in Help

Setting up networking when installing OS from ISO on KVM requires netmask and gateway IP address. Shouldn't the VPS host provide this info? Or is there some way to determine those by yourself without help from VPS provider?

I ordered new KVM's from 2 providers (BlueVM and NodeDeploy) and opened tickets asking to provide info above. No reply from either provider for well over 24 hours! I checked their knowledge base first, of course, but no luck. They don't offer SolusVM OS templates. In fact, BlueVM support directed me to install from ISO but no netmask or gateway info given. I'm at a loss on how to proceed, hence my question above...

Comments

• If no info available on the providers site, they should supply them to you upon request or install the os for you. 24 hour without any reply is terrible IMHO.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited June 2013

Not sure with other KVM but it's the same situation when i use EDIS KVM

Netmask/IP can be found when you login to the solusvm panel, click on the ip and it will show you the netmask/etc

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited June 2013

With BlueVM and ND (both in LA) my gateway was: first.three.octets.1

On Cent, I'm able to get by with just gateway and IP set, not netmask. No idea what netmask would be.

ALSO: BlueVM and NodeDeploy both have the "reconfigure networking" button in Solus -- running this should automatically pop in the required network details.

• You can use DHCP when you first install and it will automatically get the correct info. Then you can use that information when setting it up with a Static IP.

• @johnlth93 said: Netmask/IP can be found when you login to the solusvm panel, click on the ip and it will show you the netmask/etc

Thanks, @johnlth93 :) Solved. Clicking on the IP address opens up a small window with all pertinent info (gateway, netmask, suggested resolvers).

• @Magiobiwan: yeah, already tried that. Could not access VM over SSH and gave up on DHCP. I think the SolusVM way @johnlth93 suggested is much more expedient ;)

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited June 2013

DHCP with solus is a hit or miss.

• @andrzej said:
    Thanks, johnlth93 :) Solved. Clicking on the IP address opens up a small window with all pertinent info (gateway, netmask, suggested resolvers).

glad i could help =)

• wroxwrox Member
    edited June 2013

@johnlth93 said:
    Not sure with other KVM but it's the same situation when i use EDIS KVM

You can find necessary information in the EDIS panel.

• johnlth93johnlth93 Member
    edited June 2013

@wrox said:
    You can find necessary information in the EDIS panel.

I was referring to the situation where as DHCP isn't configured.

Not that i am having any issue "logging into EDIS panel and take a look at my server's ip"

Nope =)