Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oneprovider Bandwidth Caps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oneprovider Bandwidth Caps

Hi,

I have been looking at picking up a dedi from Oneprovider that I think is being resold from online.net (the i3 in Paris for 10 euros/mo) and I saw that it mentioned some sort of fair use policy for the 1gbps port on the server - I was wondering what that actually meant. Obviously an unmetered 1gbps port for 10 euros/mo is nearly impossible so I was a little confused as to how much traffic I could push through before I got limited.

I put in a ticket and got a very vague response:

"If your server is trying to use all the bandwidth all the time, it is no longer considered "fair usage" and thus will be throttled at 100Mbps. There is hard limit, you are free to use the full 1Gbps for short period of times, but trying to use above the server's limit all the time will fall out of the fair usage policy. The limit may range from 200Mbps to 500Mbps, depending on the configuration."

So essentially, my question is, what actually is the limit on the port? Is it traffic or average utilisation of the port?

TIA

Comments

• I think they are trying to say that you shouldn't push 1Gbps 24/7 and you're fine. ;)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2017

There is now an i3-530 2.93 GHz 4GB RAM dedi on sale with 2x1TB disks in HW RAID for 10 EUR, and you come here with this mundane shit, and not to post the news of this sale for us?... http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

• @rm_ said:
    There is now an i3-530 2.93 GHz 4GB RAM dedi on sale with 2x1TB disks in HW RAID for 10 EUR, and you come here with this mundane shit, and not to post the news of this sale for us?... http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france

You've got me there. I thought it was already posted and didn't want to inadvertently add an unnecessary duplicate post

• @Falco33 said:
    I think they are trying to say that you shouldn't push 1Gbps 24/7 and you're fine. ;)

Ah OK. Thanks for the input. I presume about 30TB (on a really bad [or good depending on how you look at it] month) will be fine?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Fair usage policy removal is $105 addon if you're worried about it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jarland said:
    Fair usage policy removal is $105 addon if you're worried about it.

Yeah, thanks, I saw that but was a little unsure about it - especially considering it's for a 10 euro server ;)

Btw oneprovider is totally my jam right now. I'm all over it. Their deals really are great for some of these things. I mean, I've got unmetered E3 in Dallas working as a backup processing machine.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ thagoat
  • @jarland said:
    Btw oneprovider is totally my jam right now. I'm all over it. Their deals really are great for some of these things. I mean, I've got unmetered E3 in Dallas working as a backup processing machine.

That's actually really reassuring to hear - I've heard mixed reviews about their support (not expecting too much though - after all, it's a 10 euro server :s). How have you found their support and response times to be?

edited April 2017

@iamthepizza said:

@jarland said:

That's actually really reassuring to hear - I've heard mixed reviews about their support (not expecting too much though - after all, it's a 10 euro server :s). How have you found their support and response times to be?

About a day, which isn't bad considering their margins have to be pretty thin on most of their sales. They're very friendly and easy to work with though from the conversations we've had through tickets.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • OneProvider is also my jam right now =)

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

What spec at what price point? If you don't mind me asking

Harambe said: What spec at what price point? If you don't mind me asking

It's E3-1270v2, 16GB RAM, 2x 1TB HD, 5 usable IPs, IPMI, Unmetered 1Gbps, $65/m. It's Ubiquity so LeaseWeb since they were acquired a while back.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:

It's E3-1270v2, 16GB RAM, 2x 1TB HD, 5 usable IPs, IPMI, Unmetered 1Gbps, $65/m. It's Ubiquity so LeaseWeb since they were acquired a while back.

Would it not have been cheaper to use DO to start with until you grew to a certain point or do you try and keep things seperate?

On a side note to this it's a shame that the DO block storage doesn't have an NFS mount point.

trewq said: Would it not have been cheaper to use DO to start with until you grew to a certain point or do you try and keep things seperate?

I feel like it's taking advantage to use it much for my production stuff. I have some but it's small stuff. The larger droplets it just feels like taking money out of someone's pocket. No one would be mad, but I don't feel right about it.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

jarland said: I feel like it's taking advantage to use it much for my production stuff. I have some but it's small stuff. The larger droplets it just feels like taking money out of someone's pocket. No one would be mad, but I don't feel right about it.

Sounds like my kind of job perks ;) I get where you're coming from.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland said:

Can you use the pipe 24/7? Or is it similar to their other "fair share" options?

• @Hadriel said:

@jarland said:

Can you use the pipe 24/7? Or is it similar to their other "fair share" options?

take a wild guess

• @mosan7763 said:

@Hadriel said:

@jarland said:

take a wild guess

It was more of a rhetorical question, I was just curious if people are finding that in certain locations the fair share is different than others.