Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disaster recovery for VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disaster recovery for VPS

joshuahjoshuah Member

Hello,

I am considering running Centminmod or serverpilot.

I will be backing up the databases and www files automatically using rsync over SSH and then snapshotting it on a remote storage server every hour.

However, my biggest issue / concern is, if the server dies completely or the provider goes out of business, etc.. what is the quickest way to restore the whole VPS?

My thoughts were:

1. Some kind of live snapshotting system which can allow you to store snapshots remotely and easily restore (including all services, vhosts, etc.)

or

1. Rsync'ing the important configuration files. Then if the server needs to be migrated or rebuilt, I would install all services like normal and then manually copy over the old configuration files, copy across the www files into their old locations and then import the databases?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanked by 1DaipuX

Comments

• RizRiz Member

Build out your setups with configuration management, and then keep copies of the files however you'd like. It really depends on what application(s) your interfacing with. The CM will keep things standard so it's really not a loss when the host goes down.

If it's something critical look at a HA type setup, you could probably orchestrate something with a lockfile and SSH keys established between the two. Then use a monitoring system that has event triggered actions available, or develop a HELLO type system between the two.

• Thanks for the reply.

It is not critical systems that warrant a HA setup.

it is customers websites that are being hosted on VPS and if there is extended outages of host goes bust i want to be able to quickly deploy a new server and restore the most recent backup.

• Is it something that buying a few r1soft licenses would warrant?

• antonpaantonpa Member, Patron Provider

If your provider can do snapshot, so it's the easiest way to do them and store on different place, but with snapshot your new provider must support them (if it was KVM you need new provider to support KVM too).

About 2nd way - easier to install some panel, if you talk about domains hosting (Directadmin, WHMS or other) and make backups from panel to different location. So to restore it you just need to install panel and easily restore this backups to this panel.