Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need urgent help! Would this server be able to handle this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need urgent help! Would this server be able to handle this?

Hey guys im going to try to explain it the best i can so i hope you understand what im asking, Anyways i have a small business where i sell a script that people use. Each person that buys i host the script on a server and they access it by going to the server ip/foldename ( folder name would be the name of each person who bought) im wondering if i have 30-40 people hosted on a 4gb,4 core server from VPSCheap if that would be enough to host the script for everyone to access, or would it crash when people try to use it? i had everyone setup on their own server that used 320mb/1cpu, but my old hosting closed down so now im in a rush to switch everyone over. I hope i explained it well enough. Please let me know thanks.

Comments

• No real way to tell without trying it out. I would double check and make sure that your server is up gradable, and if it is, try out that plan you are talking about above. If it does crash, then upgrade to the next highest plan.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

GarrettRocky said: I hope i explained it well enough.

Yes.

• PM me access, I can let you know

• @jamespeach said:
    No real way to tell without trying it out. I would double check and make sure that your server is up gradable, and if it is, try out that plan you are talking about above. If it does crash, then upgrade to the next highest plan.

you know any hosting companies that let you upgrade? i dont think VPSCheap lets you upgrade. Thanks for the help.

• Most "cloud" hosts should let you upgrade. Take a look at Vultr or DigitalOcean

Also I would imagine that other VPS hosts would let you upgrade if you submitted a ticket, but you'd have to check with the host.

• AdamMAdamM Member

@GarrettRocky you provided information, but unfortunately none of the information you provided will help us really answer your question. The following information would be helpful:

1. How long does it take a single execution of your script to run? 10 ms, 10 seconds, 10 minutes, etc. This is an important metric.

2. Is your script CPU bound or IO bound. In other words, does your script spend most of its time reading a database or file (IO bound) or crunching numbers/structures (CPU bound)?

3. What is your general setup? PHP + Apache? perl +?, node.js, jvm, etc.

4. You need to get a sense of the threading strategy of your system. Do each parallel request require a separate thread, or does a single (or small number) of threads handle multiple requests (ala node.js or vert.x).

• @AdamM

1. 30 seconds to 4 minutes TOPS per execution. most of the time it will be on the lower end of that.

2. Not sure. its using API's of different sites.

3. PHP/HTML

4. i have no idea

sorry for the bland answers, i have the script coded for me so im not completely sure about everything.

• RizRiz Member

@GarrettRocky said:
    @AdamM

1. 30 seconds to 4 minutes TOPS per execution. most of the time it will be on the lower end of that.

2. Not sure. its using API's of different sites.

3. PHP/HTML

4. i have no idea

sorry for the bland answers, i have the script coded for me so im not completely sure about everything.

Your best bet is figuring out the answers to 2 & 4 as these will be the keys to figuring out how much resources you need.

• Normally you'd run some load testing to simulate N users accessing the application at the same time, to see if your server is fast enough.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Send me the script and $1, I'll let you know it's spec requirements. I'll donate the money, it's just to create a commercial contract.

• Looks like it's network bound, then. Use any cloud API (DO, Vultr) to spawn instances for each client and set up DNS as clientname.domain.com --you should probably be ok with the 5USD instances, but do try with one trial instance.

• FalzoFalzo Member

besides sounding somewhat shady with secret sauce... ;-)

...you haven't told how often each client will access that script, once a day, twice a week, every five minutes? if your script is simple php, accessing other sides I don't see why any proper installed webbserver /w php shouldn't be able to handle some 30-40 visitors even on a somewhat regular base. timeouts and open connections are probably the things you need to keep an eye on, but 4GB RAM sounds not bad at all.

• AdamMAdamM Member

also, if you can queue the requests (only run them one or two at a time) some clients may need to wait a little bit longer (in the rare case too many users are requesting at the same time), but it will not overload the system, and should chug along fine.

• antonpaantonpa Member, Patron Provider

Many depends on what processess your script, using MySQL or not, or another database etc. Easiest way to check - do simulatious tests to your script with 40-50 users online and you wil known what VPS you will need.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I would take trewq up on his offer.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@pbgben said:

Already did and it's all sorted :)

• @trewq said:

@pbgben said:

Already did and it's all sorted :)

so what was it ? Details please, dont leave us hanging.