Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: vpsRus NAT VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review: vpsRus NAT VPS

psb777psb777 Member
edited April 2017 in Reviews

It's been a month since I've had this NAT VPS with @vpsRus, used mostly for personal IPv4-to-IPv6 VPN. Apparently they've just started offering LXC-based NAT VPS. This is a mini review of my 128MB NAT Plan.

For a service for $3/year (albeit first year only), I didn't expect much, but it turned out to be above my expectations.

• Datacenter is WholeSale Internet, located at Kansas City.
  • Therefore, you're on the HE side of the split IPv6 network, meaning that you can't reach cogentco.com via IPv6.
  • Not instant activiation, but it was brought up within an hour or so.
  • VPS comes with a single IPv6 address, but a /80 subnet can be requested via ticket. That's obviously a shared /64, but it's an NAT VPS anyway.
  • TUN/TAP support can be enabled via ticket. It seems that I have to manually add mknod to boot script, but it works anyway.
  • Tickets were answered really fast, although I haven't opened a lot. Friendly support.
  • I don't know if it's an 1Gbit/s port, but I can easily hit around 300Mbit/s. Definitely not capped to 100Mbit/s.
  • Host CPU is Atom 330 @ 1.60GHz, so rest assured it's not gonna be fast, even when nobody else competes for resources.
  • However, with this rubbish CPU, it is actually usable. apt-get will take a while, but not decades. Much better than some cheap "storage VPS" with rubbish I/O that I've ever used from time to time. That being said, consecutive I/O is not fast, about 30MB/s top.
  • Server was rebooted once or twice within this month, total downtime being around 10 minutes (AFAIR). Otherwise, the network connectivity and server was relatively stable.

Edit:

• Unlike OpenVZ, you don't have to add individual IPv6 addresses in SolusVM. The whole /80 subnet will be routed to your container. You can simply add or remove IPv6 addresses using ip addr or ifconfig.
  • For obvious reasons, outgoing connections to port 25 are filtered. However, for less obvious reasons, POP3, IMAP and IMAPS ports are also blocked. It seems @vpsRus just don't like email-related ports, even checking your mails on their network is not okay.

Comments

• psb777 said: Atom 330

Jeez, a single core Atom from 2009. That has to be a joke, any decent desktop processor is ten times as cost efficient.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

@jgillich said:
    Jeez, a single core Atom from 2009. That has to be a joke, any decent desktop processor is ten times as cost efficient.

I love that WHI still offers Core2Duos for $10/mo, but my god, this really is awful. A shared VPS based on that (Atom)? You'd probably get better threading using DesQview..

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited April 2017

@WSS said:

@jgillich said:

I love that WHI still offers Core2Duos for $10/mo, but my god, this really is awful. A shared VPS based on that (Atom)? You'd probably get better threading using DesQview..

we run all infranscture on an atom at mzungu, with in next 5 year we plan core 2 uphrade.

also: premium Core 2 Duo doesn't have an NSA backdoor

Thanked by 2WSS FHR
  • WSSWSS Member

@maldovia said:
    also: premium Core 2 Duo doesn't have an NSA backdoor

See also: My daily driver laptop. :D

• WSS said: See also: My daily driver laptop. :D

You mean your questionable content laptop.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

WSS said: See also: My daily driver laptop. :D

I had no idea that petrol cars were already banned!!

• @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:

WSS said: See also: My daily driver laptop. :D

I had no idea that petrol cars were already banned!!

Sure they did that at the same time SEX was outlawed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    Sure they did that at the same time SEX was outlawed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even care about getting laid- just leave my cars alone!

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

I would like to thank @psb777 for the review that is very important to us for the feedback, positive or negative, but some information to clear up our NAT services, the first server was really the one describe in the review, Atom 330 and 100Mbit net, however, we are deploying new servers for the NAT, the new server is a dual Xeon E5540, 16 threads, 2.53 Ghz, 24GB RAM, SAS 6 Gbs drives and 1Gbit net, at this server we can offer /64 IPV6 Block, some customers are already tenant of this new server and others that are willing to move from the Atom 330 it is only a matter of a ticket.

Some updates, the new NAT server is up and running and configured, we will start to move VPSs tomorrow, for whom that has no data on the old server we can create a new VPS.

As a test, a benchmark my test VPS and bellow are the results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5540  @ 2.53GHz
    Number of cores      : 16
    CPU frequency        : 2533.000 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 9.8 GB (0.6 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 128 MB (19 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 128 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 1 min
    Load average         : 0.40, 0.37, 0.35
    OS                   : CentOS 6.8
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 4.4.40-1-pve
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 276 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 250 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 220 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 248.7 MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         77.1MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          13.8MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            5.87MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           24.5MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           12.2MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             19.1MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           47.2MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          21.0MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            13.0MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           6.45MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          6.49MB/s

• bdspicebdspice Member

I am from Bangladesh, so if i use this for personal vpn use, will it be slow as 6-7MB/s? i almost got over 110MB/s in my home connection without vpn.

@bdspice, please check your PM

• psb777psb777 Member

@bdspice said:
    I am from Bangladesh, so if i use this for personal vpn use, will it be slow as 6-7MB/s? i almost got over 110MB/s in my home connection without vpn.

Your internet speed largely depends on where the other end of the connection is. If you download something from a local CDN, it might easily saturate your 1 Gbit/s link, hence 110 MB/s. However, I really doubt that you can hit 110MB/s between BD and US (or CA, or EU), unless you have a super premium link from your ISP. Global internet access is slow and expensive in Asia. For average internet users in Bangladesh, it would be very lucky if they could hit 6-7MB/s transferring between BD and US.

That said, @vpsrus moved my VPS to the new NAT node a month ago, and it is much better than the previous Atom one. Network is decent, too. I don't think its network is Asia optimized. Yet it can be as fast as 30MB/s to south/east Asia. Maybe faster if your ISP has truly optimized global reach and you pay really a lot. But 110MB/s? out of the question.

Thanked by 2justvm bdspice

@psb777, thank you for the update

• bdspicebdspice Member

@psb777 said:

@bdspice said:

Your internet speed largely depends on where the other end of the connection is. If you download something from a local CDN, it might easily saturate your 1 Gbit/s link, hence 110 MB/s. However, I really doubt that you can hit 110MB/s between BD and US (or CA, or EU), unless you have a super premium link from your ISP. Global internet access is slow and expensive in Asia. For average internet users in Bangladesh, it would be very lucky if they could hit 6-7MB/s transferring between BD and US.

That said, @vpsrus moved my VPS to the new NAT node a month ago, and it is much better than the previous Atom one. Network is decent, too. I don't think its network is Asia optimized. Yet it can be as fast as 30MB/s to south/east Asia. Maybe faster if your ISP has truly optimized global reach and you pay really a lot. But 110MB/s? out of the question.

it is possible to 110mb or more/s at very cheap rate. because my isp provide an extra facility called BDIX (google it). i forgot to mention it. i will get this speed only on BDIX server (like whole google server and much more.) mostly i download from youtube or google storage server(now a days,most of website use it). but further i got almost 30mb/s download speed on other server from europe or america.

• Im out of luck after several time reinstall and helped enabling TUN by ticket, always run into this error: PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

Support great, always reply, i just think to stop trouble the support guy. ;)

@roykem said:
    Im out of luck after several time reinstall and helped enabling TUN by ticket, always run into this error: PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

Please take a look at your support ticket

• roykemroykem Member
    edited September 2017

@vpsrus said:

@roykem said:
    Im out of luck after several time reinstall and helped enabling TUN by ticket, always run into this error: PTY allocation request failed on channel 0

Please take a look at your support ticket

Hi VPSRUS,

It's been solved. Now i can use VPN.
    Now i know that @VPSRUS is great and respectable provider.

You've provide me with extra support to solve my issue.

Thank you!

Some benchmark info:

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5520  @ 2.27GHz
    CPU Cores   : 16
    Frequency   : 2261.000 MHz
    Memory      : 512 MB
    Swap        : 8191 MB
    Uptime      : 2 days, 22:35,

OS      : CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
    Arch        : i686 (32 Bit)
    Kernel      : 4.4.35-1-pve
    Hostname    : 

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    99.1MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      54.5MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   47.9MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   20.4MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   22.5MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   16.8MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      12.2MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   2.69MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     10.5MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    98.4MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 292 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 260 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 217 MB/s
    Average I/O : 256.333 MB/s

Thanked by 1justvm

@roykem, thank you for the kind words and the NAT server bench

• Since this thread was bumped again, I would add that I bought another NAT VPS with them a month ago. Performance is pretty good, and Support is responsive and helpful. I'd say their support is quite impressive as I was fed up with the "forum support" or "no ticket" Spirit (cough cough). One of my VPS has been taken down for a while and rebooted this month, but another seems stable. That gives short of 99% uptime but that's acceptable for me..

Thanked by 1justvm
  • So this is a post 1-year update. Things have been disconcerting recently...

• Yesterday should be the renewal date for one of my NAT VPS, but I have not yet been invoiced. I don't like free rides, but it appears their WHMCS has been left unmaintained.

• One of their NAT host, on which the other NAT of mine is, has been down for around 5 days as of writing, and it had many daylong downtime in the past months. In sum, its uptime for the past half year has fallen short of 95%.

• I sent my query of these issues via email to [email protected], but after 4 business days I have not yet got a reply. The email address listed on their NAT site (vpsrus.net), i.e. [email protected], cannot be reached as that domain does not have an MX record at all.

It is not that I am complaining about the extended downtime. This is just a factual update to my previous review, and for now I give @vpsrus the benefit of doubt. It used to be pretty good, but I am not sure what's wrong with their WHMCS, hosts and support team now.

Thanked by 1Sauron
  • If the server is nat how do yo use vpn? From the server to you? It should be more interesting if Yo connect to the server no?

• kmaskmas Member

@Osatien said:
    If the server is nat how do yo use vpn? From the server to you? It should be more interesting if Yo connect to the server no?

Like on any other server, just need to use one of your allocated ports for it instead of the default one.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

edit: turns out I am an idiot.

• I don't know if the NAT area is different than regular VPS, but I go here: https://vpsrus.com/clients/client/

• @aaraya1516 said:
    I don't know if the NAT area is different than regular VPS, but I go here: https://vpsrus.com/clients/client/

Yes, it is different, and so did I mention.

psb777 said: on their NAT site (vpsrus.net),

I wrote an email to their support email because

psb777 said: it appears their WHMCS has been left unmaintained

edited April 2018

@psb777 said:
    So this is a post 1-year update. Things have been disconcerting recently...

• Yesterday should be the renewal date for one of my NAT VPS, but I have not yet been invoiced. I don't like free rides, but it appears their WHMCS has been left unmaintained.

• One of their NAT host, on which the other NAT of mine is, has been down for around 5 days as of writing, and it had many daylong downtime in the past months. In sum, its uptime for the past half year has fallen short of 95%.

• I sent my query of these issues via email to [email protected], but after 4 business days I have not yet got a reply. The email address listed on their NAT site (vpsrus.net), i.e. [email protected], cannot be reached as that domain does not have an MX record at all.

It is not that I am complaining about the extended downtime. This is just a factual update to my previous review, and for now I give @vpsrus the benefit of doubt. It used to be pretty good, but I am not sure what's wrong with their WHMCS, hosts and support team now.

I apologize for the delay I have one of our NAT server sending DDoS SYM FLOOD I have done some work on it and it will be online in a few hours also I will not renew the NAT VPS and not accept any more accounts, I will send email to all customers.

Thanked by 1psb777
  • vpsrus said: I apologize for the delay I have one of our NAT server sending DDoS SYM FLOOD I have done some work on it and it will be online in a few hours also I will not renew the NAT VPS and not accept any more accounts, I will send email to all customers.

Thanks. Except recent downtime, your service has been great. It's a pity you're dropping the NAT business. While I look forward to your email, could you give us a time frame in advance about when existing NAT hosts will cease to function?