Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has someone gotten DDoS'd over IPv6 yet?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has someone gotten DDoS'd over IPv6 yet?

Title says all.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I know cloudflare has mentioned that they have been seeing an increase in DDos attacks via ipv6

• bdtechbdtech Member

i DROP all v6 incoming.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@Zen said:
    It's going to be hell on earth.

I think that too. More than decade people at Efnet and IRCnet successfully use IPv6 as defence agains ddos. Now ddos isn't really so much problem of a IRC but when it become problem of a IPv6.. It's going to be hell on earth as you said.

• bdtechbdtech Member

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of VPS owners forget to setup ip6tables rules too

• Yes it's very capable, even the most novice of admins can Google an IPV6 DoS script, I myself have witnessed one user. If you are unsure about IPV6 whilst this slow and painful migration takes over I suggest disabling.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Armstrong said:
    If you are unsure about IPV6 whilst this slow and painful migration takes over I suggest disabling.

I think you mean learn about it and setup proper protection. If everyone just disables it because they don't know how to use it that defeats the point of having it.

• @Armstrong said:
    Yes it's very capable, even the most novice of admins can Google an IPV6 DoS script, I myself have witnessed one user. If you are unsure about IPV6 whilst this slow and painful migration takes over I suggest disabling.

That's DoS, I was talking about (network) DDoS, maxing out packets per second and pipe sizes.

• @erhwegesrgsr said:
    That's DoS, I was talking about (network) DDoS, maxing out packets per second and pipe sizes.

Obviously erhwegesrgsr, it can be easy for a user to upload 5 of those scripts to different servers and use them to DDoS...

• @Armstrong said:
    Obviously erhwegesrgsr, it can be easy for a user to upload 5 of those scripts to different servers and use them to DDoS...

Those "scripts" are fun to read thru. Way too often I've seen them being IPv4 exclusive... although one I saw recently was v6 compatible.

• Yes.

• Have already had a 1mpps ipv6 DDOS no thanks to comcast not rate limiting their DNS servers.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Once or twice

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, a few times, some 2-3 Gbps max iirc.