Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudron - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudron

13»

Comments

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited June 2017

jarland said: I disagree. If you take it's framework without the apps, you end up with an excellent web interface for managing docker containers. That hardly seems like a low value item to me.

Fair enough, but their website doesn't really highlight that fact. And there are many alternatives if you use it for that, from web interfaces that wrap Docker (Shipyard, Rancher) to full PaaS platforms (Flynn, Deis, OpenShift).

Honestly, I'd love to see Cloudron succeed, the Docker architecture is superior to Yunohost where a single app can trash the entire system as mentioned earlier. But this "open source and free but if you want what we advertise it's $8" model? Good luck with that.

iKeyZ said: Uhhh this is not true

I didn't say easy, I said easier. Sure, it's a challenge, Sandstorm tried it and failed. But it does work well for many other projects (nginx, GitLab, Qt to name a few).

• Got a mail with the pricing details for grandfathered accounts:

As mentioned earlier, Cloudron’s vision is to build a future where the original app authors or the community will maintain packages for the Cloudron. We foresee that when that happens, we can fold our paid service into the free tier and Cloudron can focus on being a platform product company and/or build a market place. To realize this vision, we will provide the Pro or Startup plans free of charge for open source projects & Cloudron App maintainers.

Each plan includes an one month free trial. In addition, as an early adopter, you will be given a 25% discount if you sign up for a paid plan in the coming two weeks.

• Does say that the Free version comes with unlimited installs but no auto-update now.

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited June 2017

So Cloudron is 1.0 now.

Free version comes with the caveat that you need to update the apps you install yourself. Doesn't sound like too much trouble, but the wiki instructions does seem a bit difficult for the lay person and me https://git.cloudron.io/cloudron/box/wikis/UpdatingApps

I guess I could stay with my setup after all