Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saint Louis as a DC location, thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Saint Louis as a DC location, thoughts?

edited April 2017 in General

Ive been mulling the idea for quite some time of opening a DC here in Saint Louis. I know there are several very small scale ones around here already but from what ive seen they really are not taking advantage of the great backbone infrastructure here. Most of the big providers pass through here with their core backbone networks and being so central to the USA it seems like it would be a fantastic location.

Obviously costs are exceptionally high for starting a DC and ive also taken that under consideration too and its not an issue. Just wondering about your thoughts and concerns about the location? Would you order service from a reliable provider here?

Comments

• ScammerProutScammerProut Member
    edited April 2017

@Michael_NewEra said:
    Ive been mulling the idea for quite some time of opening a DC here in Saint Louis. I know there are several very small scale ones around here already but from what ive seen they really are not taking advantage of the great backbone infrastructure here. Most of the big providers pass through here with their core backbone networks and being so central to the USA it seems like it would be a fantastic location.

Obviously costs are exceptionally high for starting a DC and ive also taken that under consideration too and its not an issue. Just wondering about your thoughts and concerns about the location? Would you order service from a reliable provider here?

Why not just Kansas City? You might get competitive pricing considering the commercial building vacancy rate is around 9-14%, most providers pass through Kansas City.

• @KeKe said:

@Michael_NewEra said:

Why not just Kansas City? You might get competitive pricing considering the commercial building vacancy rate is around 9-14%, most providers pass through Kansas City.

Relatively speaking STL VS KC... STL is much cheaper and has quite a big talent pool for engineers and techies of the like.

• Have you looked into having the DC here?

NSA internet interception site - US
    2651 Olive St, St Louis, MO
    Operator: AT&T
    Building Owner: AT&T

I'll bet you can get some decent links.

Per https://www.ixmaps.ca/map.php

There is another one around there too.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited April 2017

@Michael_NewEra Where did you go to High School?

• @RXWatcher i saw that one. Intrigured me

@Jiggawattz You must be from STL, everyone down here asks that! Im actually from Minnesota so i didnt attend a highschool down here.

• @Michael_NewEra I'm from Mn..near the MOA(no..I'm not there now).

• edited April 2017

@RXWatcher i grew up in Rochester, moved down to STL a few years back.

• Could it compete with Atlanta and Ashburn? It seems like a good location but does not have the name recognition. Not that it couldn't be as good as a NYC or San Francisco DC. Some people just get an idea in there head about locations.

• edited April 2017

With the major carriers passing through and the multiple ways the backbone can route if there's a fiber cut, it will stay pretty consistent for pings regardless of where users are.

@westplainshosting i suspect your right about the name recognition though that may take some aggressive marketing to get past.