Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have absolutely no idea about Maxmind (buying a box from miniVPS)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Have absolutely no idea about Maxmind (buying a box from miniVPS)

sundaymousesundaymouse Member
edited June 2013 in General

I was trying to purchase a £2 OpenVZ box from miniVPS.co.uk, sitting right in my home in the UK, with the precise address and name, and on no proxy or anything else at all. Chose Paypal and pressed continue. Still get Maxmind error — as usual for the WHMCS based providers.
Well, why am I always assumed to fraud for a £2/m box.
Never mind.

Update: miniVPS has set my order back to pending, and I am now able to complete the purchase. Thank you very much and you are one of the only few providers who is willing to help.

Comments

• Why not submit ticket? I ofter get maxmind error, but everything was solved via ticket.

• @thuvienvps said:
    Why not submit ticket? I ofter get maxmind error, but everything was solved via ticket.

Is it possible that many providers just ignore tickets from account marked as fraud? ( my experience is been ignored = 80% )

• @sundaymouse said:

I dont think so! All of HP solves maxmind errors for me (only serverdragon igroned my ticket). I havent tried minivps but i think they will sort it for you.

• awsonawson Member

IPs are not the only thing that causes MaxMind to flag you. You might have put in false personal details in the signup form.

• Maxmind is odd. I've been flagged a few times with orders in the US with an IP that matches my location for no real reason. Sometimes it's just broken. I'd like to think most providers review each maxmind order to make sure it isn't derping.

• @awson said:
    IPs are not the only thing that causes MaxMind to flag you. You might have put in false personal details in the signup form.

I am sure that all the information I provided is precise and accurate.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Might be your IPs info. What ISP do you use?

• @sundaymouse With Virgin Media by any chance? Some of their IPs are marked as proxy in MaxMind database

Just submit a ticket and I'm sure they'll set you ready

• @Patrick @Ishaq I live in East England and with a monopolised provider called KC Karoo. I am an ADSL user but they seem to give me static IP.

• @Patrick said:
    sundaymouse With Virgin Media by any chance? Some of their IPs are marked as proxy in MaxMind database

Just submit a ticket and I'm sure they'll set you ready

Thanks, I've already submitted a ticket, but don't expect the problem can be solved lol.

• Martin is a great person! I am pretty sure he will sort you out.

• LeeLee Veteran

I have only had one fraud marker and that was with buyvm.net, it was because I was signing up with my personal email mysurname.net and the whois was not public.

Harsh to mark it as fraud right enough however it was sorted when I raised a ticket.

• Update: miniVPS has set my order back to pending, and I am now able to complete the purchase. Thank you very much and you are the only few providers who is willing to help.

• rds100rds100 Member

Did they tell you what was the problem? Was the IP flagged as open proxy, or geolocated somewhere else or what?

• @rds100 said:
    Did they tell you what was the problem? Was the IP flagged as open proxy, or geolocated somewhere else or what?

I just have no idea, as it always happen.
    But I have solved the problem this time, so it's going fine.

• rds100rds100 Member

If it always happens it's probably the same problem over and over. It will keep happening to you. If you can find out what the problem is maybe you can do something to solve it.

• @sundaymouse said:
    Patrick Ishaq I live in East England and with a monopolised provider called KC Karoo. I am an ADSL user but they seem to give me static IP.

Possible that his monopolized provider's IP info is nowhere close to where he even lives.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

It has happened more then once that Maxminds geo ip tool is way off the marker. Strange thing is that even if you have the same ip, you could get different locations.

• I'm nearly always flagged my maxmind as the NodePing headquarters are in Arizona but I work from Colorado. Apparently location ip has to be close to billing address.

That said, it usually only takes a simple ticket to get the billing departments to clear the invoice for payment - had to do that with minivps as well.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@thuvienvps said:
    only serverdragon igroned my ticket

What's your ticket number? I highly doubt we've ignored your ticket, why would we ignore a ticket that could result in a potential sale and new client? That doesn't make sense to me. ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Jack, I mainly work nights so during the day (EST) he handles the majority of the tickets. I try to keep up on my phone on my days off but even then I mainly handle anything technical in the evenings.

• I ran into Maxmind error several times with different providers, sometimes for I was using a proxy and sometimes I couldn't guess the reason, all of them removed that flag after I send a ticked to explain.

• Open a ticket should always help. PROXY AND VPN seems not good for payment.

• xmobxmob Member

@sundaymouse said:
    I live in East England and with a monopolised provider called KC Karoo. I am an ADSL user but they seem to give me static IP.

I feel sorry for you. KC are a horrible company. The amount of support work we have to do because of their incompetence is unbelievable. But they have no incentive. It's ironic that KC was created to prevent a BT monopoly, but now they have a monopoly on the whole area.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

MaxMind can give false positives sometimes, but if MaxMind flags something I generally don't allow the orders thorough. I'm cautious with new orders, especially ones that bring flags up! Not had many so far though.

• @xmob said:
    I feel sorry for you. KC are a horrible company. The amount of support work we have to do because of their incompetence is unbelievable. But they have no incentive. It's ironic that KC was created to prevent a BT monopoly, but now they have a monopoly on the whole area.

Yea, luckily I only need to stay in East Riding for one more year, and can leave for another city afterwards.

• In terms of IP location, it's mainly to stop fake addresses and attempts to hide your identity.

Would mostly review the order and get them to order again, without the proxy/vpn etc instead of just approving it. Rather be safe.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Every order I have ever made from 3 different ISPs in 3 different locations (I move around alot for work) with correct details where MaxMind is involved has been marked as fraud.

So far though all companies have reset to pending after a support ticket. Everytime I have used correct details, possibly they are attempting to match common details such as name and phone number with an address and coming up with multiples.

Mind you every time the ISP has been TPG so maybe their IPs are blacklisted or something.