Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Possible way to share large remote Directory
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Possible way to share large remote Directory

Hi guys

So i have a large Storage Server E3 at some Uk location , purpose for this server is only plex
its with windows 2012 r2. Got very great deal with 1 Year Pre payment 2 Year contract . so in short cant leave it.

Every thing was working fine until recently my isp ( in Asia) decided to change its routing and Its start buffering and etc etc , added hopes in trace routes.

So i also have a so you start server with proxmox install i tried a fresh vm plex server and it seems soyoustart peering still works fine .

now i have approx 16 TB folder on uk server That i want to share with my soyoustart server ( not want to sync or duplicate , "share" in read write able directory . so i will install a backup plex server on soyoustart server .

also tried windows remote sharing but it didn't work , i read somewhere most hosts block windows file sharing ports out of their network .

TLDR version : want to share a large 16 TB meda folder for remote plex mount , both systems have windows , want something like windows share but windows share not working.

Comments

• Why not download the file to some third server and then upload it from there to wherever you want to? Or just download it directly to your sys server or why wouldn't that work?

• ihadpihadp Member

Windows share (Cifs)?

//123.456.789.123/share_name

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Windows share (Cifs)?

well i tried it and its not working , mentioned in my post , the ports are blocked , either on rapidswitch or ovh network .

• Can you not hotlink a zip of your required files? Pw protect it if needed and be done with it

• @Ympker said:
    Can you not hotlink a zip of your required files? Pw protect it if needed and be done with it

didnt understand your question but its a 16 TB media folder under plex so all files / folder need to be present

• ihadpihadp Member

@hammad said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Windows share (Cifs)?

well i tried it and its not working , mentioned in my post , the ports are blocked , either on rapidswitch or ovh network .

I don't believe that's on OVH's side, but without Cifs you are pretty screwed.

OVH offers Cifs for their backup storage which would lead me to believe it's RS side.

Open a ticket.

• @hammad said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Windows share (Cifs)?

Have you enabled the share of the folders correctly and confirmed all the permissions are correct - as I've had no issues using windows shares on OVH.

• I always use ftp.

• ucxoucxo Member
    edited March 2017

Maybe CIFS over a VPN?

Or, you know, use a proper OS and rsync/NFS/glusterfs/...?

Sorry, could not resist.

• Hi
    so i opened support ticket , and they asked for tcp dumps , upon proividng tcp dumps here is the response i got from them , look like windows share ports are blocked

Hello,

Which port are you using? If your using the port 445 for the file share this is blocked on our side.

You can see this at:

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=2708

Sorry it is listed in French, this is the summary:

----------------------

With port block 135,139,445 we have reduced by 70% the
    Table of IP that scans our network. To put it simply:
    Hackers mostly look for vulnerable PCs under Windows.

----------------------

• 4ent04ent0 Member

in this case i would probably create vpn between those two servers

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited April 2017

How about using a FTP server?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I know this is a bit of an old thread now but have you tried contacting your ISPs NOC about the routing issue? Normally they will be more than willing to fix crappy routes.