Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Benchmark] FDCServers "Starter VPS": 5Mbps [sic!] 128MB KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Benchmark] FDCServers "Starter VPS": 5Mbps [sic!] 128MB KVM

Since @jenkki repeatedly mentioned them, I decided to get a $1/month VPS from FDCServers.
I don't know much about them yet, so this a just a quick benchmark, not a review.

As mentioned in the title, it comes with a 5 Mbit/s connection. No typo there.

- 5Mbps unmetered + 128MB RAM + 10GB SSD + 1IP + 1CPU Core
Monthly Fee: $0.99
Setup Fee: $0.00
https://www.fdcservers.net/fdc_order/index_61.php?plan_id=820

They've got LGs and speedtests at https://www.fdcservers.net/lg/.

If this is your first order they require you to call their US number to verify your phone number — which they conveniently only mention after you've paid them. Oh, and you need to leave a message with your order number, which is:

null

I found the order number in the pages GET parameters, called them, and got my account activated 23 minutes later. My VPS was provisioned another 44 minutes after that.

They use a custom thing for billing and service management, and OnApp to control the servers. Next gem: Their OnApp refuses to reinstall VMs that have less than 256 MB RAM and their "mount ISO" feature doesn't load for me, so you might have to get creative.

Now my usual benchmark. This is in their Vienna location (

-------------------------
 nench.sh benchmark
 2017-03-29 20:01:24 UTC

Processor:    QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
CPU cores:    1
Frequency:    2133.408 MHz
RAM:          117M
Swap:         1.0G
Kernel:       Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
vda  9G  HDD
vdb  1G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    4.900 seconds
CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    9.076 seconds
CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    5.749 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 112.3 us / 192.2 us / 8.37 ms / 235.9 us
ioping: sequential speed
    generated 9.06 k requests in 5.00 s, 2.21 GiB, 1.81 k iops, 453.0 MiB/s

dd test
    1st run:    394 MB/s
    2nd run:    401 MB/s
    3rd run:    383 MB/s
    average:    392 MB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4:    50.7.115.64

Cachefly CDN:         timeout (< 2MB/s)
    Leaseweb (NL):        ^C
    Softlayer DAL (US):   ^C
    Online.net (FR):      ^C
    OVH BHS (CA):         ^C

No IPv6 connectivity detected

I didn't bother with the speedtests since the 5 Mbit/s limit is indeed inforced:

--2017-03-29 15:26:31--  http://speedtest.tele2.net/10GB.zip
Resolving speedtest.tele2.net (speedtest.tele2.net)... 90.130.70.73, 2a00:800:1010::1
Connecting to speedtest.tele2.net (speedtest.tele2.net)|90.130.70.73|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 10737418240 (10G) [application/zip]
Saving to: `/dev/null'

0% [                                           ] 34,985,769   594K/s  eta 4h 45m  ^C
Thanked by 2raindog308 JackH

Comments

• Can you do another speed test?

• ucxoucxo Member

@ansiklopedi said:
    Can you do another speed test?

Sure, whereto?

• @ucxo said:

@ansiklopedi said:
    Can you do another speed test?

Sure, whereto?

Host: speedtest.radore.com

ID: 10994 thanks.

• ucxoucxo Member

@ansiklopedi said:
    Host: speedtest.radore.com

ID: 10994 thanks.

And to the closest one, as picked by speedtest-cli:

• @ucxo Ideal for personal VPN/proxy server. But for some, the internet speed may be low.

• BopieBopie Member

Funny thing is that im considering them for coloing a server for a private project as they offer 1Gbps unmetered at a unbelievable price

Thanked by 1JackH
  • hzrhzr Member

they use ubersmith

• blackblack Member

Bopie said: Funny thing is that im considering them for coloing a server for a private project as they offer 1Gbps unmetered at a unbelievable price

Cheaper than X64-60GB from scaleway?

X64-60GB
    €89.99/mo
    €0.15/hour
    10 x86 64bit Cores
    60GB memory
    1Gbit/s Unmetered

• ihadpihadp Member

@black said:

Bopie said: Funny thing is that im considering them for coloing a server for a private project as they offer 1Gbps unmetered at a unbelievable price

Cheaper than X64-60GB from scaleway?

> X64-60GB
    > €89.99/mo
    > €0.15/hour
    > 10 x86 64bit Cores
    > 60GB memory
    > 1Gbit/s Unmetered
    > 

That apples to oranges...It's almost like you don't fucking read before you post.

• JackHJackH Member

I've had a good experience with FDC's colo in London and France - just my £0.02 ;-)

• blackblack Member

IHaveADarkPassenger said: That apples to oranges...It's almost like you don't fucking read before you post.

I did read the coloing part. I was just wondering if it's cheaper than the scaleway's plan for 1 Gbps unmetered because if it is, I would add the cost of the server + colo cost and see if it's cheaper than the whole scaleway package of the server + bandwidth.

• BopieBopie Member

@black said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: That apples to oranges...It's almost like you don't fucking read before you post.

I did read the coloing part. I was just wondering if it's cheaper than the scaleway's plan for 1 Gbps unmetered because if it is, I would add the cost of the server + colo cost and see if it's cheaper than the whole scaleway package of the server + bandwidth.

Its not as cheap no however its dedicated not shared, the server im coloing is a 4u with 4 4 separate units in it and the biggest thing I needed is the colo, price is not the issue, a shared solution is not good for what i need ;)

Thanked by 1JackH
  • blackblack Member

Bopie said: Its not as cheap no however its dedicated not shared, the server im coloing is a 4u with 4 4 separate units in it and the biggest thing I needed is the colo, price is not the issue, a shared solution is not good for what i need ;)

Ah ok. For me the scaleway server should do the job fine but if it was cheaper with FDC I was going to consider it. As for pricing you're quoted is for a way larger system so the pricing might not be relevant in general.

• RizRiz Member

@Bopie said:
    Funny thing is that im considering them for coloing a server for a private project as they offer 1Gbps unmetered at a unbelievable price

Depending on location, FDC is nice. This was almost 10 years ago now, but I used them for a project that needed mass amounts of bandwidth. I had no problem pushing my unmetered pipes, but saw weird routing issues / timeouts happen randomly. They were usually pretty short. All in all I was happy though, and this didn't affect me much. If it's anything critical you may want to review their network SLA.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ucxo said: I found the order number in the pages GET parameters

Aw man, that was great.

hzr said: they use ubersmith

Wow.

• ucxo said: Since @jenkki repeatedly mentioned them

Better to say - since many folks repeatedly asking for cheap $1+ VPS every day. That more correct :)

Thanked by 1ucxo