Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speedykvm 30% 1-time/customer coupon (all products) - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Speedykvm 30% 1-time/customer coupon (all products)

12346»

Comments

• I never really thought about using luks on a kvm but maybe it's worthwhile. How do you do it, i.e. is it possible to partition a kvm's virtual disk when it's the kind where the OS is automatically installed? I haven't tried a speedykvm yet so don't know if they do that.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@dedicados said:
    any coupon code still valid? for any kvm?

Looks like all of them still are. MARCH30 / TWIT30 / FB30 - can each be used once per account.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @willie said: How do you do it, i.e. is it possible to partition a kvm's virtual disk when it's the kind where the OS is automatically installed?

Easiest way without messing around too much is to reboot your KVM into gparted (presumably that will be available) and then to graphically resize your partitions as required to create space for an extra partition. Then boot back into your regular OS and setup LVM+LUKS (or LUKS+LVM) on the free space. Should be a relatively painless one time step.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1willie
  • nullnothere said: reboot your KVM into gparted (presumably that will be available)

Hmm, I don't see that in the install menu: there's just a bunch of OS distros to pick from, no obvious way to mount an ISO or whatever. Would it be a menu option in the initial KVM boot of a distro (Debian 8 in my case)? I guess I could reboot and watch the VNC.

Anyway it's no big deal if I can't repartition this particular VPS since I have enough other ones where it's doable. Thanks!

• @willie said: Hmm, I don't see that in the install menu: there's just a bunch of OS distros to pick from, no obvious way to mount an ISO or whatever.

Well if gparted isn't available see if system rescue cd (sysrescuecd) is available. Of course you can also live boot into one of the Ubuntu distros which come with gparted.

Hopefully one of these will work for you.

• nullnothere said: Of course you can also live boot into one of the Ubuntu distros which come with gparted.

Thanks, I'll see what they have. It's no big deal at all though if I can't encrypt this VPS. I mostly just wanted to know whether it can be done at all. This is on a Vortexnode xmas special but IIRC the OVH VPS-SSD's are set up the same way.

• @willie said: I mostly just wanted to know whether it can be done at all. This is on a Vortexnode xmas special but IIRC the OVH VPS-SSD's are set up the same way.

In case you want to avoid depending on the provider, one other self serve option is to download sysrescuecd (iso, live cd) into your KVM, setup grub (2) to boot off the iso file. sysrescuecd has an option to load the entire CD into memory (~300MB) after which you no longer need the iso or the mount point any more - which makes it possible to use gparted (from in memory iso) to resize the disk. Of course you probably need at least 512MB of RAM in the KVM to do this.

Thanked by 3deadbeef bersy willie
  • Interesting! I'll give that a try. Yes, my xmas KVM is 512MB. Thanks!

•     V-DEDICATED 5
        128GB ECC RAM (127GB usable)
        Quad AMD 6274 (64 CPU)
        6x 2TB HDD (8.5TB usable) Hardware RAID 5
        100TB Transfer, 1gbps Port
        Full KVM Virtualization

Just seen this monster of server....

Does anyone know how this performs ?

• Unfortunately the AMD 6274 cpu is not all that great by modern standards. The 64 AMD cores will be about like 8 current Intel cores at best. Still not bad for the price I guess, and maybe there are some applications where you can use the parallelism especially well.

The AMD Naples (Ryzen server) cpus will be a lot more interesting.

Thanked by 1FredQc