Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server in Los Angeles with DDoS Protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server in Los Angeles with DDoS Protection

So, I'm trying to host a Garry's Mod server, but I also need to be able to use a MySQL database on the same machine or the entire server is worthless, so I HAVE to have a dedicated machine. Is there ANY dedicated server host in Los Angeles that also has "good" DDoS Protection, that isn't insanely expensive?

Comments

• I think a KVM is also capable of hosting it.

• WSSWSS Member

You can run MySQL on a VPS perfectly fine. GM is what.. 2004ish? You could go for a lower end dedi if you really want one, though- http://wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

• GM5GM5 Member, Host Rep

@kingdomkz said:
    So, I'm trying to host a Garry's Mod server, but I also need to be able to use a MySQL database on the same machine or the entire server is worthless, so I HAVE to have a dedicated machine. Is there ANY dedicated server host in Los Angeles that also has "good" DDoS Protection, that isn't insanely expensive?

What's your budget for this? Do you have an idea of the specifications you need?

• IshaqIshaq Member

I'd recommend SSD based storage if the MySQL server is busy.

• @Ishaq said:
    I'd recommend SSD based storage if the MySQL server is busy.

Even when not busy. OP stated that it has to be on the same machine, which makes me think it's synchronous with the engine. Means ssd (or even in ram) has a certain edge.

• @WSS said:
    You can run MySQL on a VPS perfectly fine. GM is what.. 2004ish? You could go for a lower end dedi if you really want one, though- http://wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

Seems kind of sketchy, where are these servers located?

@GM5 said:

@kingdomkz said:

What's your budget for this? Do you have an idea of the specifications you need?

As much as GoMach5 looks great, the fact that it is impossible to get a "Xeon E3-1220" server (out of stock) and that the "L5420" costs $8 per cpu on ebay, makes me extremely worried about performance for $49 per month.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

What's your budget?

• @PhotonVPS said:
    What's your budget?

Aiming for $30 - $40 per month, but it seems like at least $50 is the lowest place where the DDoS protection is available as well.

• WSSWSS Member

Click "Our Facility"- it's in Kansas City. Many LETers have, and continue to have WSI boxes. Can't give you any network insight on WSI.

• @WSS said:
    Click "Our Facility"- it's in Kansas City. Many LETers have, and continue to have WSI boxes. Can't give you any network insight on WSI.

As much as I personally wanted to make a server in the midwest and still do, over 90% of the people that would connect to my server all live in CA, OR, and WA.

• @kingdomkz said:

@WSS said:

As much as I personally wanted to make a server in the midwest and still do, over 90% of the people that would connect to my server all live in CA, OR, and WA.

WSI's network can be described as "budget" last i heard. Also, no ddos protection there afaik (correct me if im wrong)

• IshaqIshaq Member

Wholesale Internet is in Kansas City (KCIX, Cogent, HE). He wants LA.

I don't think you can find a dedicated server in LA with DDoS protection in the $30-40 range. Especially since you don't want L series processors.

LA is an expensive market and even more so with DDoS protection. You can probably find something in the $70 range.

• GM5GM5 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

@kingdomkz said:

@WSS said:

Seems kind of sketchy, where are these servers located?

@GM5 said:

@kingdomkz said:

As much as GoMach5 looks great, the fact that it is impossible to get a "Xeon E3-1220" server (out of stock) and that the "L5420" costs $8 per cpu on ebay, makes me extremely worried about performance for $49 per month.

Completely understandable but it is possible for us to order hardware in for clients. If you could provide some information on your budget then it will help us and other providers to offer you a solution.

Do you at least have an idea of the specifications you're after?

EDIT: Budget was provided and I didn't see as I was too slow - Oops!

$50 will be very tight to fit all those requirements. You might want to consider a VPS.

• WSSWSS Member

@Ishaq said:
    Wholesale Internet is in Kansas City (KCIX, Cogent, HE). He wants LA.

Yeah. He wanted LA, and dedicated for $50. I figured that WSI would possibly be powerful enough for both his needs, and wishes. A 10+ year old Half-Life service can't really take a heck of a lot of resources..

• alberto2345alberto2345 Member
    edited March 2017

I've never tried there service but if I ever need a VPS, BuyVM would be my first option I'd look at.
    They have KVM slices in Las Vegas (if that isn't an issue) for a really good price to performance and you can add ddos protection for $3. It isn't a dedicated server, but for the budget and for what you need to use it for, this may be a good option.
    @Francisco

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Chat with @Francisco about a slice w/ DDoS protection in Las Vegas. Could get a really nice setup for <$50.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Reading what you needed all I could think was "Get a slice!". @Francisco can hook you up.

• BuyVM slices with dedicated CPU core + DDoS IP sounds a good fit.

• Thank you all so much for that BuyVM tip, I had no idea such a thing existed. I'm set now lol.

• AAAAND nevermind, there are no more slices in Las Vegas. RIP

• IshaqIshaq Member

Can do a KVM in Los Angeles with free DDoS protection?

What do you need?

• @Ishaq, I was actually looking at your site because it's actually "compared to" on BuyVM, ironically.

https://clients.budgetnode.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

This special looks pretty impressive, like is it possible to try the 1 month plan then if it actually does work well for me, I can buy a year? And,

I really prefer using Windows, (only because of the case sensitive problems that happen all the time In Garry's Mod with file names when linux is involved), but I noticed it says "Trial" on the Windows options, what does that mean?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@kingdomkz

You can purchase for a month and then contact us to extend for a year, sure.

We provide Windows templates or the ability to upload your own ISO, however we do not license Windows products and as such the templates will come with a 180 day evaluation period unless you activate it.

kingdomkz said: (only because of the case sensitive problems that happen all the time In Garry's Mod with file names when linux is involved)

You should be able to host it on Linux, I am not familiar but have you seen this?

• @ishaq, yeah I know I can host it on linux, I just hate those friggin file name problems. So if I actually buy a 2012 key, I can keep the Windows magic going?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@kingdomkz said:
    @ishaq, yeah I know I can host it on linux, I just hate those friggin file name problems. So if I actually buy a 2012 key, I can keep the Windows magic going?

Yep.

Thanked by 1kingdomkz
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

If you can up your budget to $69 we can do something in LA E3 with SSD drives + DDoS Mitigation otherwise you can check our KVM hosted @ e3 come with free DDoS Mitigation! http://letbox.com/page/KVM

Thanks

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2017

teamacc said: Also, no ddos protection there afaik (correct me if im wrong)

WSI has DDoS protection, the capacity is somewhere between 20 and 50Gbits according to Aaron.