Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unmetered (10mpbs or above) VPS supporting Tor exit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unmetered (10mpbs or above) VPS supporting Tor exit

wywinwywin Member
edited June 2013 in General

Hello you wonderful boxers,

Gandi recently rejiggered their billing, and my lovely 10mbps unmetered box is now pay-per-GB. I am looking for a new place to host my Tor exit node. While Tor is somewhat controversial in hosting circles, Gandi has been hosting me for about 4 months using the "reduced exit policy" designed to allow most non-malicious traffic through, with no trouble from Gandi. I would plan to use that same exit policy on your node, hopefully avoiding any DMCA issues or other nastiness.

My ideal box: 384 MB RAM, 1GB disk (don't need much!), and the network as mentioned.

My usage should max out the metered connection (so set accordingly!), and use ~7-10% CPU.

Thanks, and I hope someone can accommodate!

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am doing that at home with reduced exit policy.

Basically instant messaging, streaming, as well as secure mail ports.
    Didnt have a problem ever and doing this for years, even full exit at the beginning, but that is too dangerous, I think, I cant afford my computers being seized.

• Sorry you should not risk a shared hosting environment but spend the money for a dedicated server, regardless of how little resources you use, to be responsible rather than hiding in a crowd of innocent customers with your Tor exit node.

Blah blah blah, I've heard it before and I used to run Tor exits BUT I ran it all on my own hardware

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

risk a shared hosting environment but spend the money for a dedicated server

Zero difference between doing this on a VPS, vs a dedicated server, if in both cases you use someone else's IP space. What could make sense, is getting your IPv4 SWIPed, so that in /whois of your IPs people see your personal details, and not the provider's.

• The risk is ____________ going through the Tor node (Tor fan boys go crazy when you overly generalize typical Tor exit traffic so I'll let whomever fill in the blanks) receives interest from __________ and when ______ goes to investigate, hopefully all friendly like and not seize servers, the scumbag hiding in the crowd gets the whole VPS node seized.

Nope, cops do not come in and image hard drives then put servers back online. They SEIZE equipment, taking it from the facility.

If he had his server pulled from the DC for running a Tor exit node, sweet - law enforcement/whoever got their person. If the VPS node full of innocent people is seized, that's what typical Tor exit node operators have little or no problem with. Not saying the op falls into this category but from my personal experience, with other Tor exit node operators, is they don't care and the reason why they go with VPS providers is it's cheap, no up front costs like with colo/setup fees and if it goes down off to the next provider.

• Nope, cops do not come in and image hard drives then put servers back >online. They SEIZE equipment

They actually do, i had this happen both in Czech Republic and the USA, the provider was asked to remove 1 HDD from the RAID for them to confiscate, nothing else.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited June 2013

Op asked for an unmetered VPS provider allowing Tor exits. Regardless of the risks, there are ISPs who are wiling to take them.

@wywin, isn't easy to find an ISP with a liberal abuse policy for cheap and you maybe got lucky this 4 months, but I don't think Gandi is one of them.
    You are usually going to need some research to find one, but here you have one from my personal list:

http://infiumhost.com/en/vds-vps.html

I didn't asked but they don't seem to care about abuse (C&Cs on the network, carding, etc), and you can pay anonymously. Just don't abuse the resources.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@William said:
    They actually do, i had this happen both in Czech Republic and the USA, the provider was asked to remove 1 HDD from the RAID for them to confiscate, nothing else.

Hum, then i suppose it was raid 1.

• @Maounique said:
    Hum, then i suppose it was raid 1.

RAID10, which makes the HDD rather worthless, but still.

• rds100rds100 Member

I guess the cops didn't really care then, they just wanted to be able to say "here, we got the job done" and be done with it :)