Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about ServerStatus and chmod 777
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about ServerStatus and chmod 777

Hi,
I was searching for server monitoring solution and came across https://qwdsa.com/converse/threads/serverstatus-rebuild.43/

This one looks promising but to be able to use cache I need to chmod 777 the cache file which consists html file. I hope it's safe since it's html? Also, is there way to prevent uptime.php file from remote server to be readable by any other user except that specific server? without IP limitation? Any other advice regarding it will be really thankful.

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

depending on your webserver setup you normally should not need to set any dir to 777 as your scripts hopefully run as a normal user and therefore apache/php can write to it.
    my guess would be @mun simply specified this in his description to not have to deal with questions of users who don't make proper use of suexec/ruid2/itk etc. ;-)

• @Falzo said:
    depending on your webserver setup you normally should not need to set any dir to 777 as your scripts hopefully run as a normal user and therefore apache/php can write to it.
    my guess would be @mun simply specified this in his description to not have to deal with questions of users who don't make proper use of suexec/ruid2/itk etc. ;-)

I hardly understood second para but yes, cache is working without 777. It was specified in installation docs though. Also, IP limitation also worked fine but I may move the main file to different server which will require me to change IP in all server config. Any way to overcome it?