Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A little market survey on KVM plans - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A little market survey on KVM plans

13»

Comments

• JackHJackH Member

@Bopie said:
    My advice, don't go E7 go with a supermicro 3u blade system and some E3v5's or even E5, much better power wise

Best advice here so far

• JackHJackH Member

Correction: Best advice so far

@raindog308 said:
    Step 1: Borrow $10,000

Step 2: Buy hardware

Step 3: Plan

auriga said: Quad E7-4870

That classic from 2011?

I'm going to throw you a bone here because (a) you haven't been thin-skinned, (b) you seem sincere and can at least borrow $10K, and (c) we've had too far too many venture-capital giants bandied about here, to say nothing of mutant-hosters-from-birth (e.g., @Francisco). We haven't had a good truly garage hoster here in a while.

But here's the thing...LEB/LET is a horrible place to build a business around. As part of the business, sure, but your business plan should have LET as an after thought. And WHT must be an afterthought because it's so noisy you'll never be noticed. So...what's your plan outside of a WHT classified and the provider tag on LET?

There have been threads here, WHT, and vpsboard with titles like "if you had 50,000 to start a hosting company, what would you do with it". I noticed the younger/wannabe hosters talk about hardware, and the older, more experience hosters talk about marketing and customer acquisition.

You need to define:

(1) what differentiates you? at the moment, the answer is "nothing". This is a really hard question but it's the most important one. Yeah, sure, you can look at BuyVM or Ramnode and say "nothing really differentiates them" but they have experience, size, and reputation, which you don't. How will you stand out from everyone else who bought the same ThemeForest template?

(2) who is your customer?

(3) how will you reach him in a cost-effective way?

(4) using different assumptions (poor response, good response, etc.) how does the next 12 months model out in terms of costs, revenue, etc.? Don't forget the sales cycle and chargebacks. Or advertising. Or spare parts for that server. Or what you need to pay the guy who lent you $10K. Or blow for the LET mods.

This is business plan 101.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AuroraZ said: A bit offtopic but did he ever show again?

He came back from vacation but eventually just vanished...yeah, now I recall, angry people were posting contact info for his mother on the internet and I even opened a ticket in his whmcs to say "dude, you might want to reply to this thread..." but he just went permanently silent.

Hasn't been here for 2 years. Site is now squatted.

• raindog308 said: He came back from vacation but eventually just vanished...yeah, now I recall, angry people were posting contact info for his mother on the internet and I even opened a ticket in his whmcs to say "dude, you might want to reply to this thread..." but he just went permanently silent.

Sad man sad he had a good run I suppose. Just seems to happen a lot anymore. So much time and wasted it is a shame. He could have at least sold like every one else does.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

I recognize him! He was also "GotHosting" back in the day.

• The 26% who voted YES are encouraging :)

• WSSWSS Member

@auriga said:
    The 26% who voted YES are encouraging :)

This forum is also filled with spammers, scammers, and other scourge of the internet who will be more than happy to burn the hell out of a new guy. Assume that many of them are on that list.

Thanked by 1auriga
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@auriga said:

@AnthonySmith has had more than a few stories where people showed lots of interest on these forums and then the location doesn't pay for his crumpets.

Francisco

• filefile Member

Anyone can say yes. Putting their money in it is vastly different.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited March 2017

@auriga said:

I've met with quite some investors and consulted some - but I've yet to meet one saying "sounds encouraging" at a 26% affirmation (and that from rather anonymous people).

And they have LOTS of money and actually can afford to fuck up some money.

But hey, if you feel like going that route anyway, great, I wish you good luck. You'll need it.

I feel, however, that after the quoted post of OP this thread can be closed as it's boiling down to talking to a wall.

• WSSWSS Member

Some walls are better conversationalists than some LETziens.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

auriga said: The 26% who voted YES are encouraging :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Francisco said: @AnthonySmith has had more than a few stories where people showed lots of interest on these forums and then the location doesn't pay for his crumpets.

haha, yes and I know a few other hosts who made the mistake of listening to the loud minority too.

It goes a little something like this:

Host: I am thinking about putting up XXYYZZ location.

34 people in the first 6 hours: wow, ooh, great, want, need, 10/10, would buy, gimme, please, yes, cant wait, daddy, cool, interesting, etc etc.

-product launches-

8 people buy it, no one else sees any real world use.

Do a 'pre sale' with a set order volume for launch, if people want it, they will pay, if they don't, you lose a couple of bucks in refund fee's and no real harm done.

That is the only way I would do anything 'different' and expensive again.

• bapbap Member

I will consider $4 for that spec on Asia. Not sure for another region.

• Im am finalizing the node, its located in FDC DC in Chicago, loads of bandwidth available.

Am giving out 15days free trial, anyone interested? :)

• LeviLevi Member

auriga said: Im am finalizing the node

Node specifications...?

• isnt asia optimzed in los angeles not in chicago?

Thanked by 2Falzo raindog308
  • mgilang said: isnt asia optimzed in los angeles not in chicago?

On some networks yes but not all in L.A. I would think that a Chicago D.C. would not be Asia optimized though.