Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudLinux or Litespeed? Which one should I go with?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudLinux or Litespeed? Which one should I go with?

chonkchonk Member

Hello,
I bought new VPS with 2 core, 8GB Ram and 120GB SSD drive. It's for personal websites. I want to make sure my server will work fast and secure.

I can only choose one. CloudLinux or Litespeed. Which one would be good for me? Or should I just go with EasyApache 4?

Litespeed is good and have some good security improvements over Apache.

Cloudlinux have cagefs and makes accounts safe if anything happens to any site.

What do you think?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

chonk said: I can only choose one.

Are you saying this because of cost? (Which is perfectly fair).

• chonkchonk Member

@raindog308 said:

chonk said: I can only choose one.

Are you saying this because of cost? (Which is perfectly fair).

yes. i can't buy both since my budget is low for this project.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

If it's for personal sites you shouldn't need CloudLinux really? Same for LiteSpeed if you get a Nginx setup with proper optimization/changes for WP (assume WP since you said cagefs makes account safe if anything happens to a site)

They both have benefits, but for a personal environment I'd say it's really just your choice.

• chonkchonk Member

@MikeA said:
    If it's for personal sites you shouldn't need CloudLinux really? Same for LiteSpeed if you get a Nginx setup with proper optimization/changes for WP (assume WP since you said cagefs makes account safe if anything happens to a site)

I'm afraid of using Nginx again. I used it before. 2 different professional guy optimized it for me also. My server's avarage load was 8.0 at that times with Nginx. (For 1 year) So I uninstalled it and switched back to apache to see. And somehow my load dropped to 1.50-2.00 average.

So since last year, I hate Nginx.

• k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited March 2017

If it is a cPanel server with just a few personal sites that means you probably ought to trust yourself that the sites are safe, thus no real need for CL. Alas, in that case I'd rather spend the dough on LiteSpeed for that extra performance, even though the yield will likely not be worth mentioning; especially if you opted to save the money altogether and instead took great care to optimize Apache instead -- which would not cost you a thing other than some of your time.

[EDIT: I fixed my reply so that it makes at least some sense; I have to blame lack of sleep for this incoherent mess of a reply.]

• @k0nsl said:
    If it is a cPanel server with just a few personal sites that means you probably ought to trust yourself

What if he's bi-polar?

Thanked by 3k0nsl johnnymatt WSS
  • chonkchonk Member

@k0nsl said:
    If it is a cPanel server with just a few personal sites that means you probably ought to trust yourself that the sites are safe, thus no real need for CL. Alas, in that case I'd rather spend the dough on LiteSpeed for that extra performance even though the yield will likely not be worth mentioning if you took great care to optimize Apache -- which would not cost you a thing other than some of your time.

Even there was sites in server without visitors right now, apache crashed repeatedly yesterday. So it made me afraid of it. I fixed it with reducing some numbers on Apache Configuration settings in cPanel.

Do you know any document to optimize Apache?

• WHTWHT Member

As I know cloudlinux its operating system and litespeed its webserver.
    In my option if you use for a personal sites you wont need cloudlinux nor litespeed. You have 8gb ram so you can use your ram as cache.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

No LiteSpeed is not included in CloudLinux, it is a product by a wholly different company.

@WHT said:
    As I know cloudlinux its operating system and litespeed its webserver.
    In my option if you use for a personal sites you wont need cloudlinux nor litespeed. You have 8gb ram so you can use your ram as cache.

If Nginx caused your load to quadruple then there's definitely something else wrong... If anything every server I've ran Nginx on (serving or not) has helped in some form. EIther way, my opinion would be to get a cheap LiteSpeed license and use it instead of CloudLinux unless one of your sites causes problems that you're unsure how to fix.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited March 2017

@chonk Is litespeed a must ? Otherwise i propose the "cousin" OpenLitespeed (not for costs but for benefits) with CentOS 7.

Pros:

• Low footprint
    • More php versions concurrently
    • Templates Architecture (you create a template, you reuse it many times)
    • Advanced Caching (Module Cache) like Enterprise Version
    • Caching Works out of the box with Wordpress (but you need to tune a bit, its the Open Source cousin after all)
    • You can choose how many cores to assign to your listener
    • Easy (manual) install of Let’s Encrypt and autoupdate (certbot)
    • "Point and click configuration" thanks to WebAdmin Console
    • To compile PHP from source = Damned Fast (a few clicks)
    • Development Team is not "toxic" (if you find bugs you can contact em directly)
    • ...... (try it, the list of pros is huuuuuuuge)

Cons

• Doesn't support apache htaccess out of the box (you have to configure one or more Context and to create your rewrite rules inside that context).
    • Some updates had ugly bugs (at least they are fast releasing a fix if you report 'em your environment)
    • To create a Template for a particular obscure script (not famous) is not the fastest thing in the world if you use OpenLitespeed from a few days.

Guide

Notes

Solid Alternatives

As usually thanks to @eva2000 ;) for the OpenLitespeed guides and the "beautiful creature" called CentMinMod

as @k0nsl said: LiteSpeed is not included in CloudLinux, it is a product by a wholly different company.

Exactly. Just use in your VPS CentOS 7, MariaDB, install OpenLitespeed and whatever else you need.

Thanked by 2raindog308 eva2000
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Are there any cons?

• chonkchonk Member

Openlitespeed doesn't support modsecurity and htaccess.

• @raindog308 said: Are there any cons?

damn, bad forgetfulness
    i update now the msg :)

• I'd say LiteSpeed since you indicated this is for personal use.

• sinsin Member

I wouldn't choose either for personal sites but if you are absolutely set on purchasing one then go with Litespeed.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited March 2017

chonk said: Openlitespeed doesn't support modsecurity and htaccess.

Go for Litespeed, +1

chonk said: I can only choose one. CloudLinux or Litespeed. Which one would be good for me?

Anyway you didnt know that CloudLinux and Litespeed are different things (CloudLinux -> OS, Litespeed -> HTTP server)

[chonk said] my budget is low for this project

I hope you know, at least, that min. cost of Litespeed base ver. (Owned VPS LSWS, max ram 2GB,1 core) is 249.00 USD (one time) and there's a fee every year of 50$ (or something like that).

• HxxxHxxx Member

Make sure that whatever you host on litespeed does not violate their terms. 0 titties ok!

• WSSWSS Member

Also, I'd throw more RAM at it. 8GB should be more than enough, but throwing more RAM at it is always a solution when the software is pure shit.

nginx increasing load is very.. peculiar.

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited March 2017

@chonk said:
    I'm afraid of using Nginx again.

@chonk said:
    apache crashed repeatedly yesterday. So it made me afraid of it.

Thou shalt not fear all the open source projects just because you don't know how to configure them.

nginx is really fast for me, I run 20+ instances of it on one machine and my CPU/RAM usage sits at zero. I have a separate instance of nginx for each site (because my box is split into VMs).

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • thats weird. what panel you use? if you used cpanel with engintron as nginx provider, yes it might increase load, i dont know exactly what engintron do, it makes load high.
    i see you get ssd, and high ram also, it shouldnt make any bottleneck of i/o again.
    You can try also using php 7.

@mgilang said:
    thats weird. what panel you use? if you used cpanel with engintron as nginx provider, yes it might increase load, i dont know exactly what engintron do, it makes load high.
    i see you get ssd, and high ram also, it shouldnt make any bottleneck of i/o again.

I use Engintron w/ cPanel and have never had problems with high load.. it lowered my load from my original Apache server by a fairly noticeable amount.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Go for litespeed
    I dont know any cloudlinux function if you only host your website in that vps

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2017

@chonk said:

When was the last time someone reported a vulnerability in jailshell or cPanel's default PHP handler that allowed one user's compromised website to impact anything above the user directory (besides putting self owned files in /tmp)?

CloudLinux is trash designed purely to help web hosting providers oversell their shared hosting plans to death while not having to worry about any single user getting enough physical resources to cause a problem for someone else. Providers try to market it to you as something more, it's really not. Nothing it does beats default cpanel these days.

I know, "shots fired" :)

But anyway, go with neither. Put apache up front and consider an nginx reverse proxy if it doesn't meet your needs. Save your money.

• chonkchonk Member

@jarland said:

@chonk said:

When was the last time someone reported a vulnerability in jailshell or cPanel's default PHP handler that allowed one user's compromised website to impact anything above the user directory (besides putting self owned files in /tmp)?

CloudLinux is trash designed purely to help web hosting providers oversell their shared hosting plans to death while not having to worry about any single user getting enough physical resources to cause a problem for someone else. Providers try to market it to you as something more, it's really not. Nothing it does beats default cpanel these days.

That makes sense. Do you recommend any settings for cPanel to be safe? Like using mod_rui2 or suphp as default php handler.

• chonkchonk Member

@MikeA said:

@mgilang said:
    thats weird. what panel you use? if you used cpanel with engintron as nginx provider, yes it might increase load, i dont know exactly what engintron do, it makes load high.

I use Engintron w/ cPanel and have never had problems with high load.. it lowered my load from my original Apache server by a fairly noticeable amount.

I just decided to go with Engintron. Is there any confugration settings you recommend with it? I installed it now. It works great.

@chonk said:

@jarland said:

@chonk said:

That makes sense. Do you recommend any settings for cPanel to be safe? Like using mod_rui2 or suphp as default php handler.

Yeah you want suPHP and change apache mpm to event. That's a solid setup for most people.

• chonkchonk Member

@jarland said:
    Yeah you want suPHP and change apache mpm to event. That's a solid setup for most people.

Great, thanks. I was using prefork mpm. I will change it to event now. I also installed Engintron to use Nginx.

edited March 2017

@chonk said:

@jarland said:

Great, thanks. I was using prefork mpm. I will change it to event now. I also installed Engintron to use Nginx.

I noticed something odd with engintron. The reverse proxy seems to do a public DNS lookup of the domain and proxy to it. I'm not a big fan of that. It means either dns is changed to the server or the site doesn't work, no testing it with your host file. Not to mention potentially being a reverse proxy for a remote server without intending to.

Maybe someone who uses it can enlighten me on how to fix that without manually editing it. But I ended up with cpnginx if you find yourself looking for another, if engintron gives you any trouble.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@johnnymatt @raindog308

Main cons include lack of support and lack of integration with cPanel.

People use Litespeed instead of Nginx as it integrates well with cPanel and works out of the box + is supported by both cPanel and Litespeed in case something goes awry.

Openlitespeed doesn't have this benefit, and I believe community around Nginx is bigger.