Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for the cheapest Dedi for OpenVPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for the cheapest Dedi for OpenVPN

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited March 2017 in Requests

BW: 500GB - 1TB per month should be fine

Network: 100 or 1000 Mbits

Price: Cheapest

OS: Able to run openvpn in a Live OS that can be rebooted/wiped and reinstalled anytime.

Thanked by 1victory7

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

If France will work, I've got a Kimsufi KS-2E in it's own account coming up for renewal. It's complete overkill for ovpn, but 4G RAM is certainly nicer to have than 2G that the KS-1 unit has.. It's #9/mo.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @WSS said:
    If France will work, I've got a Kimsufi KS-2E in it's own account coming up for renewal. It's complete overkill for ovpn, but 4G RAM is certainly nicer to have than 2G that the KS-1 unit has.. It's #9/mo.

Tempting but I am El Cheapo on this one so Kimsufi 5$ is lowest atm :P
    Scaleway is cheaper I think but does not offer own images or live images afaik?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@Ympker said:
    Tempting but I am El Cheapo on this one so Kimsufi 5$ is lowest atm :P
    Scaleway is cheaper I think but does not offer own images or live images afaik?

Don't have Scaleway. You could actually just load your machine on KS from a rescue disk and run from that. Reboot? It's all gone. Another good reason for more RAM. :D

Don't have any KS-1 units up for transfer, since they're tied to my meta-account. They'll be dropped in May.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

WSS said: If France will work, I've got a Kimsufi KS-2E in it's own account coming up for renewal. It's complete overkill for ovpn, but 4G RAM is certainly nicer to have than 2G that the KS-1 unit has.. It's #9/mo.

Is this somehow transferable?

• WSSWSS Member

@AlexBarakov said:

WSS said: If France will work, I've got a Kimsufi KS-2E in it's own account coming up for renewal. It's complete overkill for ovpn, but 4G RAM is certainly nicer to have than 2G that the KS-1 unit has.. It's #9/mo.

Is this somehow transferable?

It's an account with one machine and no billing information tied to it. Was for a project that I got the green light for, and then never paid for implementing.

• WSSWSS Member

So, yes, it's not that difficult to transfer. :)

• Haha think I will get a cheap kimsufi

• WSSWSS Member

Your #10 Kimsufi setup and #6/mo billing will take a few months to even out with the #8 (not #9) KS-2E, and you're still short 1.5TB disk and 2GB RAM. Not that it matters to me. :D

• @WSS said:

I'd happily take this off your hands, shoot me a PM if you want rid :)

• @wss still can't beat the KS-4C i get for 8euros a month :P

• WSSWSS Member

@piohost said:
    @wss still can't beat the KS-4C i get for 8euros a month :P

Or my shell with @piohost .. oh, I guess you can.

I'd happily take this off your hands, shoot me a PM if you want rid :)

You want it? You can have it.

• @wss :P shhh you, suppose nothing beats free ay ;) want to test my new server when it goes in the rack ?

• WSSWSS Member

@piohost said:
    @wss :P shhh you, suppose nothing beats free ay ;) want to test my new server when it goes in the rack ?

Thanked by 1PioHost
  • wishosting.com $3/year 256mb ram, 40 gb hdd, unmetered 250mbps, shared
    Think it will help

• Scaleway C1 at 3 euro/month? They're out of stock a lot now, but you can get one if you persist.

• @willie said:
    Scaleway C1 at 3 euro/month? They're out of stock a lot now, but you can get one if you persist.

Not sure but I imagine that I contacted their support once about this and they were not supporting Live OS :P

• FalzoFalzo Member

shouldn't nearly every KVM which offers own ISOs be able to support a Live OS from that image? so maybe @ultravps offer in NL is of interest or @francisco in LU - can't tell if they support custom ISO though ;-)

Thanked by 2Ympker UltraVPS
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

I was about to ask if a vm intead of a dedi couldn't suits you ?

• @Ikoula said:
    I was about to ask if a vm intead of a dedi couldn't suits you ?

Does it support Live OS?

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

yup, you can also bring your own ISO and templates.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WSSWSS Member

KS-2E is gone.

• WSS said: KS-2E is gone.

KS-2E was a good value if you wanted a lot of non-raid disk space, but it wasn't the cheapest possible dedi. Try KS1, or Digicube Via dedi at 5 euro/month iirc, if the C1 doesn't suit.

Thanked by 2Ympker WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said: KS-2E is gone.

KS-2E was a good value if you wanted a lot of non-raid disk space, but it wasn't the cheapest possible dedi. Try KS1, or Digicube Via dedi at 5 euro/month iirc, if the C1 doesn't suit.

When you could have 2TB and double the RAM for a couple bucks more- Why not!?

• WSS said: When you could have 2TB and double the RAM for a couple bucks more- Why not!?

Well, fair enough, but if you only wanted it for vpn and weren't going to use the storage, then why pay the extra bucks? It was 8 euro vs 5 euro apparently. You can get a nice vps for that 3 euro difference :).

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@willie said:

WSS said: When you could have 2TB and double the RAM for a couple bucks more- Why not!?

Well, fair enough, but if you only wanted it for vpn and weren't going to use the storage, then why pay the extra bucks? It was 8 euro vs 5 euro apparently. You can get a nice vps for that 3 euro difference :).

...but can you get a nice 2TB backup PRIVATE VPS for that 3 euro difference? :D

• WSS said: ...but can you get a nice 2TB backup PRIVATE VPS for that 3 euro difference? :D

Probably not, but if I didn't have a use for the storage then I wouldn't be willing to pay the 3 euro for it.

Hmm, right now my kimsufi account only has the ks-2e on it, so maybe I could transfer it. In retrospect I don't think the KS-2E was a good purchase even though I wanted the disk space. I'd have been better off with a storage VPS or other pure storage plan instead of a no-RAID dedi.

Let's see how some unrelated stuff develops over the next few weeks: I might be willing to unload the KS after that, depending.

I just counted and I have 4 dedis now! :O

Thanked by 1WSS