Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IceCast VPS - Suuggetsions?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IceCast VPS - Suuggetsions?

vpsajwvpsajw Member
edited January 2012 in Providers

Any one using IceCast 2.3.2 and have suggestions on the providers/hosts which are

Easy to install and don't have to hunt down 9000000000 libs, modules and dependencies to install IceCa

yum install is fine, but if I've got to go threw finding repos, fidning RPM's etc again. I don't need the hassle.

CentOS 64 5
2GB RAM burstable to 3-4GB
2 Cores
50-60GB disk
As much bandwidth as possible
100MBs port
PHP
Apache
MySQL
PECL
Perl
CPanel/WHM (don't need WHMCS)
Full root access
BASH shell
mail support for BASH (my scripts rely on this)
Horde or some webmail via CPanel would be a plus, but not a must
Internal network to add more VPS

NO FL or CA hosts! Don't need the natural disaster headache.

PA, OH, WV, would be great. Prefer if they don't have any winstuper hosting/serverss any where in the data center.

some that supports sox and streamripper as well would be a plus so I can do some things that iceCast doesn't do for streams that run 24/7

NOTE: Streams are NOT MUSIC.

Its mainly for IceCast but some of the support software for doing some stats needs PHP, PECL libs/modules, Perl, XML modules, apache to view web pages etc..

If you've installed IceCast and are using it on a VPS provider I would love to hear your suggestions. My current one is fine, but I need to trim the cost down if I can.

Thanks

Comments

• We've got some users running Icecast on our cheapy plan, and they say it does just fine. I think that pretty much any LEB provider will do the job, so it's a matter of location and price. :)

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

@vpsajw said: My current one is fine, but I need to trim the cost down if I can.

How much you've paid for current specification ?

• 2GB RAM burstable to 3-4GB

@vpsajw said: CPanel/WHM

Why don't you require management on top of that for the price of LEB?

• LOL 2GB RAM just for icecast and some stats :|

• @yomero said: LOL 2GB RAM just for icecast and some stats :|

He must be running a very, very large station.

• How much you've paid for current specification ?

$80/month

LOL 2GB RAM just for icecast and some stats :|
    He must be running a very, very large station.

The problem in the past has been the buffers needed for larger numbers of listeners.

Last event there were 78 users on one feed, another event 50. It tends to spike up depending on things.

On average there is 15 users on each of 8 feeds

• We've got some users running Icecast on our cheapy plan, and they say it does just >fine. I think that

Which provider would that be?

• IPXCore, 96MB plan

• @vpsajw said: Easy to install and don't have to hunt down 9000000000 libs, modules and dependencies to install IceCa

yum install is fine, but if I've got to go threw finding repos, fidning RPM's etc again. I don't need the hassle.

@vpsajw said: CentOS 64 5

That's how it is with a lot of software on RHEL based OS's. Changing server providers won't change that. On Debian it's available in the official repos, and all dependencies are automatically installed when you install icecast via apt-get install icecast2 :)

You won't be able to run cPanel on Debian, but is there any reason why cPanel is needed at all?

• That's how it is with a lot of software on RHEL based OS's. Changing server providers > won't change that.

I did two installs, both CentOS differing hosts.

One was search for this and that libs because were not going to enable any repo for that.

Another simple

yum install lib

./configure

make

I was done and running in 5 minutes one install. Another was nothing but grief, and thats why I use Debian based on my personal based systems, but on CPanel doesn't work on it and I want CPanel to handle the various tasks.

• I have Icecast + streamripper running on a ChicagoVPS $7 plan, streaming 16kbps police scanner audio, working beautifully so far.

Compiled Icecast from source with Cent 6 by installing libvorbis-devel libogg-devel, libxslt-devel, openssl-devel + the usual requirements for actually compiling things (gcc, gcc-c++, autoconf, automake), took nearly no time at all.

• @vpsajw: what kind of bitrate are your streams running?