Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Help] Using Cron
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Help] Using Cron

HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
edited March 2017 in Help

I've NEVER messed with it and not a clue really on how to use it, which might explain the billions of files I have on my VPS from the past several years which I think are the cause from a File host script I run which provides a temp direct link to an IP for 6 hours. WELL I think this is what the large amount of small files are on my VPS.

Here is what my script says under settings,
Expire direct links 6 hours after generation (CRON should be enabled)

Well I've never messed with it.

This is what the script tells me to do, (sorry for the image, Cloudfare was blocking me from posting that lol)
https://s14.postimg.org/xqlbgz2xd/rgrrg.png

Is it as simple as adding those permiters here? http://www.webuzo.com/wiki/Add_Cron_Job

Thanks so much!

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

EDITOR=nano crontab -e

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited March 2017

I knew of that page but did not get it until I seen that right after I posted,

So I would add https://s14.postimg.org/xqlbgz2xd/rgrrg.png that as the command the path including cd? When I seen cd I just thought of "change directory" lol

And im guessing setting that would run the job within an hour?

• IshaqIshaq Member

Cron simply automates the running of tasks. You're right that cd is for changing directory and they want to do that to run the scripts from that directory.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@HuntersPad said: And im guessing setting that would run the job within an hour?

You have to set the frequency you want it to run at. Webuzo probably allows you to configure this, I have never used it before.

Based on the image they want each command to run at different frequencies. Easier to do it from the command line if you're comfortable.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • @Ishaq said:
    Cron simply automates the running of tasks. You're right that cd is for changing directory and they want to do that to run the scripts from that directory.

Thanks! How would I manually run all set jobs?

Im worried because It has not been done in 3 years that it may only remove whats done after adding this? And I do know this will probably take a few hours if not longer haha.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@HuntersPad said:
    Thanks! How would I manually run all set jobs?

Im worried because It has not been done in 3 years that it may only remove whats done after adding this? And I do know this will probably take a few hours if not longer haha.

Do not do anything. Consult with someone who can audit the scripts to see what they do- you may very well destroy something important, as this has not been run in years.

It looks like you're trying to get up to date with XFileSharing Pro. I'd consult their forum before doing anything.

• Just thought I'd provide a update. My Cronjob setup worked! It deleted over 20GB of rubbish.

• JFYI. Newer script versions add cron jobs automatically. So you don't need to mess with all this low level stuff.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad