Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting downloads for an open-source project - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting downloads for an open-source project

2»

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@advarisk sent you a pm

Thanked by 1ashkulz
  • JasperNL said: Why don't you use github? They provide free file hosting for everything that is open source

Read the OP, GitHub doesn't provide download statistics (I guess it's the same for Gitlab?)

• is that signed (so tampering safe) and rsync-able?

Mirror space generally always available if not too large (ISOs etc. also) and traffic not an issue, we use just like 10 of like 1000TB at Hetzner alone.

• @teamacc said:
    Ye, online.net's international network can be summarized as "quite shit". Try a slice @Francisco.

Heh, I already switched from C1 to VPS based on your recommendation ... and now you tell me? Maybe it was a transient network issue, because now I'm maxing out my connection here (bandwidth to India can be very bad from almost anywhere).

@William said:
    is that signed (so tampering safe) and rsync-able?
    Mirror space generally always available if not too large (ISOs etc. also) and traffic not an issue, we use just like 10 of like 1000TB at Hetzner alone.

I've yet to sign the checksum (MD5/SHA1/SHA256) files, but yes it's rsync-able. I don't want to go in for mirrors, would prefer a single VPS under my control (don't mind paying for it) or a CDN which handles the distribution/mirroring part.

• Thanks for everyone who reached out and offered something! I'll probably stay with Scaleway for now, would've tried @Francisco if @stefeman hadn't lured me into trying a Scaleway C1 first (just received a RPi 3 yesterday, so was curious).

The new hosting is up for both the website and downloads.

• Offload some of that shit to your users, run a small bittorrent tracker with hefur - it gives stats on # of completed downloads and stuff

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited March 2017

advarisk,

Hmm, i've used your tool and it helped me a lot, so...

If you want to, i can give you VM with dedicated ip on a personal server for free, i am sure it can handle your requirements and bandwidth will not be an issue.
    Obviously i am not a provider, and i cannot guarantee anything (and you cannot really trust a stranger on internet...), but it is not a "pc at home", it is rented dedicated server in datacenter. As long as you do things "as usual", with regular backups and everything, you do not actually risk anything.

If you are up to such a thing feel free to pm me...