Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maxmind marks my orders as fraud - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Maxmind marks my orders as fraud

2»

Comments

• blackblack Member

Some say you don't necessarily have to pay for proxy / VPN detection or country blocking.

Thanked by 1drdrake
  • In other words, someone accuses the whole nation and half of the South American continent that they are bad and do not correspond to my ideas about sweet life, without any real proof in hands, so better to go fuck off than.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@jenkki said:
    In other words, someone accuses the whole nation and half of the South American continent that they are bad and do not correspond to my ideas about sweet life, without any real proof in hands, so better to go fuck off than.

He doesn't accuse, he chose not to take any orders from there because taking them cost him more in chargeback fees than revenue it brings.

Some countries are more prone to fraud than others, it may depend on many factors, including laws and enforcement of them, poverty, etc. The business is there to make a profit and one of the elements of it is minimising your exposure to risk.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited March 2017

@jenkki said: Sounds like racism, sort out by color of your skin, isn't?

Maybe im too much politically correct but this is called business. Every single little, medium, or big hosting provider is doing business, searching a profit and if they had in the past clients from a country with a high percentage of fraud is their right (and they are doing that correctly) to stop em immediately to avoid any problem.

On the other hand I'm sure that an hypothetical client from a blocked country, that is not a serial fraudster and try to contact a single hosting provider there on LET (or outside let), will have a rate success 95% for a manual registration and after that paying and by providing documents.

And if a client refuse to give simple documents to his future provider (to be used for legal reasons ofc) there is nothing to blame if provider dont give the service. I assume in that case that client has something to hide...

I dont see any racism there. And to send a scan of identification id (> only for legal purposes with the clause that should not be sold to third parties and it has to be managed internally) does not seem to me an impossible task...

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Clouvider said: He doesn't accuse, he chose not to take any orders from there because taking them cost him more in chargeback fees than revenue it brings.

He just stupidy follow the other member desicion posted 2 days ago on their listing. Nothing else. No proof, no fun.

• VCTVCT Member

Brazilians are generally unethical and untrustworthy. Being brazilian, I've earned the right to say it.

PS: @AnthonySmith, I have two boxes with you, don't ban me :D

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

VCT said: I have two boxes with you, don't ban me :D

Now under control :P

Street crime in Brazil really high..)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2017

@drdrake said:

@time4vps said:

pbgben said: I too wonder if maxmind is any good.

Multiple times Maxmind warned us about Credit card fraud from particular IP or email address. 2 from 10 was false positive.

In my case 2 of my emails were marked as fraud. Maybe it's because of the shared IP. Not sure where they base their detection system but one thing is pretty sure: I never scammed anyone or committed fraud.

It looks like it's impossible to get off the lists.. WTF!

I think that's because people are confused about what maxmind is. Sometimes it's a list of known fraud in a way but that is not its true function, it's a risk probability assessment. Variables that relate to abuse so commonly that their presence statistically increased probability of abuse are recognized and turned into a score. Providers choose how to use that score.

If that's "racist" or works against particular countries so be it, you don't ignore statistical probability because someone cries over it. Facts are ultimately more relevant to the whole than individual feelings.

• WSSWSS Member

@jenkki said:

drdrake said: want me to send ID picture AGAIN

That illegal in several countries,they not have a rights ask for ID, only local police legitimate to check ID. You have rights to refuse it

Like Facebook. They have no right. Fuck them and their "service".

Thanked by 1M66B
  • VCTVCT Member

@jenkki said:

VCT said: I have two boxes with you, don't ban me :D

Now under control :P

Street crime in Brazil really high..)

Not only street crimes... It all comes from the culture of "jeitinho brasileiro" that can be explained as: "being a smart ass". We've recently had a major scandal about meat producers selling rotten meat and changing expiry date. I won't even bother talking about our politicians and their lovely schemes...

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2017

A lot seems to depend on what threshold the provider sets.

I was getting hit with a few 'marked as fraud', though I'm in the UK and creating accounts for a LTD company. I sent Maxmind a harsh email asking why they're materially affected the way I do business and the flagging disappeared. I'm on a floating IP. I've bought hosting from literally thousands of providers and had issues with perhaps 10 of them.

Fact is the responses you get are pretty arbitrary to the real world BS you may have had from past providers, however your country is labeled wrt fraud, and a whole other bunch of parameters that might seem unfair, but generally help providers with the issue of fraud.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Fake cry of racism is not allowed as per let terms

Thanked by 5jar WSS bugrakoc trewq Nekki
  • jamjam Member

Contact maxmind support, i had same issue some years ago trying to buy in ramnode, I contacted the support and they told me it was a mistake, they erased my email and ip from their database.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

jam said: Contact maxmind support

https://youtu.be/o-lVm1dFN-8

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited March 2017

maxmind is suck

I always getting fraud when try to order anything

Even i write my real detail and use real ip

• @add_iT said:
    maxmind is suck

I always getting fraud when try to order anything

Even i write my real detail and use real ip

That already says something about you.

• MagicalTrain said: That already says something about you.

It mean that i never use fake id for transaction

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Maxmind is unreliable, this is why a human screening the order is needed in many cases.
    I found that, if fraud score is over 35% something may be amiss, for over 50 I tend to be very careful in searching for a reason, over 60 I generally do not look further.
    In the beginning we let pass way too many flagged orders and ended up with Uncle being kept in shape by the visits to the police and courts to explain how internet works.
    This is not about payment reversal only, it is about the other related fraud, we maintain a business network and have to be very careful with the risks.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maounique said:
    Maxmind is unreliable, this is why a human screening the order is needed in many cases.
    I found that, if fraud score is over 35% something may be amiss, for over 50 I tend to be very careful in searching for a reason, over 60 I generally do not look further.
    In the beginning we let pass way too many flagged orders and ended up with Uncle being kept in shape by the visits to the police and courts to explain how internet works.
    This is not about payment reversal only, it is about the other related fraud, we maintain a business network and have to be very careful with the risks.

This. It's good data to have, but you should be careful in how you use it.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Well, @jarland...

My IP geolocates to Canada, but in reality.... I'm the Nigerian prince! Send me $100 and I'll buy out MXRoute. ;)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @drdrake

I understand your concerns, but in reality, many hosts rely on MaxMind to screen out fraud. And frankly, it actually works pretty well (there is a portion of users that get incorrectly marked, so creating a ticket is your only option or moving out).

• Maxmind scored your order base ,your CC country,IP country,browser header, your OS, time zone...This is especially true for third world countries (poor country) your order will be marked as fraud.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

anybody knows how to whitelist a country in maxmind ?

• RonalBarbaren said: Maxmind scored your order base ,your CC country,IP country,browser header, your OS, time zone...

That not exactly can be matched all the time, so they a wrong way. My ISP datacenter located 80 Km away in other small near city, so I cant get this works correctly

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

jenkki said: My ISP datacenter located 80 Km away in other small near city, so I cant get this works correctly

I had that problem too when with RDS, for some reason my IP was located in Vaslui, even if dynamic, which is more than 300 Km away, however, Maxmind didn't take issues with it.