Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to buy Dedicated Server with "Bring your Own Drives"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to buy Dedicated Server with "Bring your Own Drives"?

Hi,

I'm looking for hosting companies where I can rent/buy a dedicated server "without disks" and then send to the datacenter my own disks.

This is for a client project that will be mainly be used as a "big" backup server, so I don't need a very powerful server in terms of CPU + RAM, but will need many big disks.

I prefer a Europe location. So if anyone has any advice or suggestion, please say.

Thanks

Comments

• cociucociu Member
    edited March 2017

i can provide the follow in Romania :

2xL5630 processor

16 gb ram (if you pay quarently you will recive 32gb ram)

1 ipv4

14x3.5 hdd caddy or 25x2.5 hdd

1gbps port speed

10 tb/mo traffic included

price will be 37.5 eur/mo

Free hands for install your hdd`s

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited March 2017

Ooops...made this post by mistake. My bad :(

• IMO it will be easier if you just get a second hand server off Ebay and colo.

Besides your requirement for a "big" backup server, you didn't include your bandwidth requirements. Personally, I'd look at Hetzner and OVH before entertaining the thought of sending your own drives.

^ If you insist on using your own drives, you'll also have to send spares in case one fails. If you need a replacement you'll also be paying for remote hands, etc.

Another question would be: Is this a long term client? Have they signed up for at least 1-2 years? Is this a startup?

Depending on the above, again it might just be easier to rent and save a headache in the long term.

EDIT: @cociu offer is quite nice :)

• @cociu said:

2xL5630 processor

1 ipv4

1gbps port speed

That's an amazing offer, although you did not list the ram?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • cociucociu Member

teamacc said: That's an amazing offer, although you did not list the ram?

lol , just edited

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Why not just colo the server as well?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

If you ever decide on the US, Versaweb can probably sort you out.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Thanks all for the suggestions!

It's for a long time client that want a long time solution. Colo is also an option. the Only downside is hardware related problems on the server if it's hosted on a location far or even out of my country.

I will in the next days, continue to look into the suggestions you guys made and also continue to look and search for a hosting company that will perfectly meet my needs.

• Do you mean you want to send the disks with data already on them? If they're blank drives, maybe you could order them and have the vendor ship them to the host's site?

• telephone said:

EDIT: @cociu offer is quite nice :)

Yes, it is! It makes me wonder the cost of shipping disks from RO to the US.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

We are accustomed to receive hard drives from VPS customers with slow internet connections.

We have a process for that.

I guess it would not be a problem to extend it to a physical server subscription.

We are located in France.

Here is our looking glass server if you want to run some tests: http://lg.ikoula.com

Is there any extra opération to do or you just need the disk/s to be plugged to the server ?

You can have a look to our dedicated servers on this page https://express.ikoula.com/en/dedicated-server

But the quickest way to get a quotation based on your needs would be to contact our sales team on [email protected]

• cociu said: 14x3.5 hdd caddy or 25x2.5 hdd

cociu said: Free hands for install your hdd`s

nice @cociu

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

If you did not find anyone in Europe that will do this we can set you up in TEXAS. Just hit me up and we can get something worked out for you.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can do Bulgaria, pricing will be in the 30-45 euros range, depending on the number of HDDs. Dual Quad Core Xeon (L5520/L5630/E5620) with 16GB of RAM.

• CenTexHosting said:

If you did not find anyone in Europe that will do this we can set you up in TEXAS. Just hit me up and we can get something worked out for you.

I might be interested in that. Got anything in mind?

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

Have you considered buying refurbished servers off ebay or amazon? Some even come with warranty. It would be better to buy the server add the disks yourself and ship the whole server for colocation and more convenient price wise.

• serverofferserveroffer Member, Patron Provider

Lithuania, E3/i5 CPU, 16GB RAM, 2u/4u chassis, price range 30-50 €

• SvenSven Member

@cociu said:

2xL5630 processor

16 gb ram (if you pay quarently you will recive 32gb ram)

1 ipv4

1gbps port speed

Free hands for install your hdd`s

Ipmi? Would 8TB drives work this time? ;)

• MadMad Member

@Francisco said:
    If you ever decide on the US, Versaweb can probably sort you out.

Francisco

As far as I know they don't allow it anymore.

They provide managed services only now.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

It is not a big deal.
    How many drives would you like to send? How many servers is needed? Network speed, amount of traffic, etc?

• cociucociu Member

Sven said: Ipmi? Would 8TB drives work this time? ;)

we provide ilo , about 8tb hdd you must to see if p410 is support this hdd`s , we use 4 tb/hdd.

• Thanks all for the suggestions. I will now with my client to take a decision.

• cociu said: about 8tb hdd you must to see if p410 is support this hdd`s , we use 4 tb/hdd.

Capacity wise - It does, the limit is either 2TB (thus 3TB and obscure 2.x TB SAS drives) or none - if 4TB works they are fine.

If this is a DL180 (25x 2.5 could be, but 14x 3,5 is something else) you are also not limited by the controller as the backplane only has 2 uplink ports (8 lanes) but 14 downlink ports (14 lanes), which indicates a port multiplier which needs also ability to run them then.

However, Keep in mind that HE/8TB drives have another mounting scheme making them incompatible with the Mac Pro and many servers.