Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server with min 8 cores and 8GB RAM for 1 week
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server with min 8 cores and 8GB RAM for 1 week

Hi,

I'm a computer science student doing some data mining work. This is a bit of an odd request but I was hoping to rent a fairly beefy dedicated server for a week. I need to run some data mining tasks that would run significantly quicker on a server with a decent CPU (or two) as opposed to my laptop.

Minimum 8 cores and 8GB RAM.

It's a bit of a long shot but it's worth a try. Obviously I'm willing to pay but I'm looking for something fairly cheap as the student budget is a bit limited.

Thanks in advance.

Thanked by 1jgillich

Comments

• RapidDediRapidDedi Member, Patron Provider

I can give you an E3 for a week that is not in use, it will be free of charge, pm me the os.

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

PM me the details on the project. If it is something worthwhile, I can loan you something beefy.

• While there's some Good Samaritans, I'll leave this here for the future:

Check out the Scaleway.com workload intensive range.

Starts at €0.050/Hour for:

• 6 x86 64bit Cores

• 15GB Ram

• 200GB SSD

This would work out to €8.40 for a weeks usage. If 8 cores is a hard limit, then it would be €16.80 for a week.

Thanked by 1titanicsaled
  • I know you've already got a couple of earlier offers but if your work would benefit from another server I have a E3-1241v3 machine that I could loan for a week or two. Feel free to PM me with the required OS and details on the project if you're interested.

• The Scaleway 15gb and 30gb vps are likely to be Xeon D-1531 like the 60gb version, i.e. you get 6 or 8 hardware threads on a machine with 6 physical cores. Because of their lower frequency, total compute speed is about like a 4-core E3. Maybe you can find a way to split your computation across multiple machines.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Google Cloud offers a free $300 trial credit to use within the first year. In their high cpu range there's a 8 core box with 7.2GB ram for $150/mo. Can probably run that for a week and still have plenty of credits left to cover storage + outbound bandwidth.

• I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to this post. There are some great suggestions that I'll definitely remember for the future.

I'd also like to thank everyone that offered to loan me a machine. In the end RapidDedi lent me a server for free, I'm extremely grateful to them for that! Without it I couldn't have got all the work done.

Thanked by 1RapidDedi
  • and what are the results?

• I know you've already solved your problem, but just in case someone googles this in the future, I recently had a similar problem and needed a beefy server to crunch some numbers for a few days.

My 'solution' was to extensively use Azure/Google Cloud's free signup promotions - Think $40/day sized servers. They're offering a few hundred dollars worth of credit apiece at the moment, so luckily everything worked out fine.

• If you are talking about virtual cores, you can try pm @francisco and see what they can do for you, maybe a customized quote? Their KVM dedicated slice looks promising and they should come with a prorated weekly price.

• fanfan Veteran

Packet.net has hourly billing dedicated, not cheap but you can have $25 credit from this page (google it you can find more similar promo pages): https://www.packet.net/promo/kontena/

Thanked by 1xelance
  • KanikaKanika Member
    edited March 2017

Hi,

I'm a spammer who has repeatedly evaded bans at LowEndTalk. This is my third account. I'd like to share with you my company that will most likely be in the dead pool within the next two months. I am a complete scammer, and you should stay far away from my company serverwala.org. Since I can't read the rules and repeatedly create new accounts to get around them, I will no longer be given the courtesy of having my name cleared by the removal of my threads/posts.

http://www.serverwala.org/linux-vps-server.htm

• Thanks @Kanika, we look forward to you providing us with more LET drama