Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changing ports in Shadowsocks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Changing ports in Shadowsocks

I installed the virtual server Shadowsocks. I want to change the port. (TCP 443) I am changing the port to 443 in the configuration file, but it is not connected. How do I change the port?

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

Restart the service, if still not working, check if the port is open in your firewall settings.

• @fan What are the differences between them? Shadowsocks, Shadowsocks-libev, ShadowsocksR.

• Did you change the port on both the server and the client configuration files? Changing either one of those won't work.

• fanfan Veteran

@parca_ne said:
    @fan What are the differences between them? Shadowsocks, Shadowsocks-libev, ShadowsocksR.

Branches of the discontinued original project in different programming languages.

• miaumiau Member
    edited March 2017

@parca_ne said:
    @fan What are the differences between them? Shadowsocks, Shadowsocks-libev, ShadowsocksR.

its just implementation. different method to achieve same purpose. its compatible to each other.

while Shadowsocks (python) was the original and main project, currently shadowsocks-libev is pretty much de facto implementation as server.

• parca_neparca_ne Member
    edited March 2017

@fan, @chinmoy, @miau Thank you all. There will be another responsibility. :) How many people can connect to a port simultaneously? Is there a setting for this? (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shadowsocks) Is it about the 'workers'?

• miaumiau Member
    edited March 2017

@parca_ne said:
    @fan, @chinmoy, @miau Thank you all. There will be another responsibility. :) How many people can connect to a port simultaneously? Is there a setting for this? (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shadowsocks) Is it about the 'workers'?

Number of users doesn't matter.
    What important is total amount of connection made my all users (A single user may make mere couple of connections when browsing a light web page.. or thousands if they use torrent).

Can't say for other implementation as I use only ss-libev on production. But it pretty much depends on your cpu and memory capacity.

for ss-libev it can easily handle thousands of connection even on pretty basic vps.

You can achieve even more stability and capacity when you use KVM and tune the kernel parameters as described in this https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks/wiki/Optimizing-Shadowsocks

worker is, in simplest term is the concurrency of the process. generally you set the worker according to number of cores your server have. If your vps is single core then set worker as 1.

• Don't use a lot of workers if you don't have multi core as it can eat your RAM. Starting from one worker I think they start to create master/child processes so one worker can mean two process IIRC. I heard workers break their UDP relay feature too.

If it still doesn't work, please have a look at your iptables. The way to test it easily is to turn the iptables firewall off temporarily by

service iptables stop

I personally think TCP 443 is not actually that much good of an idea because if they test port 443 and see no HTTPS server then...