Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NodeServ not Serving
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NodeServ not Serving

Until yesterday, I had had few problems with my NodeServe VPS, but that changed last night: The VPS became inaccessible sometime yesterday evening. It's running -- apparently on a new node -- but it doesn't appear to have any route to the Internet. 14 hours later no one has responded to my ticket. A quick scan of this forum reveals a number of similar incidents with this provider since around March 1. Sigh, it was good while it lasted, but regrettably perhaps it's time to move on.

Comments

• Having signed up a few hundred times to providers here, it seems there's an occasional bug where IPs get double assigned in certain setups. You'll just have to wait for a response.

Incidentally I have two containers with them, both running fine.

14 hours isn't long. How much are you paying?

• I consider 14 hours on a weekday without any reply to a "node down" trouble ticket -- even a quick "We're aware of the problem and working on it." -- to be inexcusable regardless of what the customer is paying. It brings to mind Clara Peller's (I'm dating myself here) other famous line in the Wendy's commercial: "I don't think there's anybody back there."

• A quick ping scan of the /24 your IP is assigned to can answer your question

• If it's running Ubuntu 16.04, could be due to network interface being renamed ... bit me quite a few times.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • In my experience 14 hours is typical only for a "I'm now looking at this" response from NodeServ support. Their standard procedure seems to be following up on these content-free, non-response messages with 2-6 days of silence before coming through with a fix (or at least a claim of one).

My VPS had no problems until last month when they force-migrated me from Jacksonville to L.A. (didn't tell me they were doing that, just claimed my old IP was being DDoS'd) fatally corrupting (?) it in the process. Now their Debian 7 image has broken networking out of the box, which it seems they have to manually repair (a process that their support almost never succeeds at on the first attempt).

• topcattopcat Member
    edited March 2017

@advarisk: I'm running CentOS 6. An ifconfig shows the traditional lo + venet0 + venet0:0 so I think the VPS itself is alright. I suspect it's just that someone forgot to swing the IP routing over to the new box, or screwed up doing so, and thus the ability to correct the problem is out of my control.

@doughmanes: Most, but not all IPs in my /24 don't respond, but since some do, I suspect it's a problem of association between an IP and the VPS, not a global class C routing error.

Thanks to you both!

• "global class C" wtf this isn't 1990

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@doughmanes said:
    "global class C" wtf this isn't 1990

I finally found someone to share my pain with ! ;-)

It's amazing how hard coded some people are. It hurts my eyes to read it :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @edgecase: Good to know. I wonder in what area of the country my little slice of a machine will end up. I guess eventually I'll find out, but in the meantime I'm migrating what I can off of it. Thanks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • CoreyCorey Member

@doughmanes said:
    "global class C" wtf this isn't 1990

Yet we are still using ipv4 and the term applies to the situation.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • WSSWSS Member

@topcat Well heavens to Mergatroid!

Thanked by 2raindog308 Janevski
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@WSS said:
    @topcat Well heavens to Mergatroid!

Nice!

• For those still following this little saga, IPv4 access was restored this morning. IPv6 is still out, as is access to the control panel. My trouble ticket remains unanswered -- I have to wonder if they're even aware of it.

I'll swing the glue records to another server this afternoon. (Yes, it's one of my DNS servers.) The box has a nice amount of disk space on it and I can use it for backups and testing. (Just renewed it for another year less than a month ago.) I can take a day or two of downtime in a pinch if I have to, but not a complete lack of feedback as to what's going on.

• goodservgoodserv Member
    edited March 2017

@topcat said:
    For those still following this little saga, IPv4 access was restored this morning. IPv6 is still out, as is access to the control panel. My trouble ticket remains unanswered -- I have to wonder if they're even aware of it.

I'll swing the glue records to another server this afternoon. (Yes, it's one of my DNS servers.) The box has a nice amount of disk space on it and I can use it for backups and testing. (Just renewed it for another year less than a month ago.) I can take a day or two of downtime in a pinch if I have to, but not a complete lack of feedback as to what's going on.

Did they solved your problem please ?
    I am experiencing the same as you from up to 24 hours now !
    I didn't made a backup for my websites, and i am worry in case my server come back without my files in.
    Really need assistance.

• Sorry for the delay -- I just noticed goodserv's post. As of today, March 29th, my server stands as it did on March 16th: It is up and running with all data intact, but without IPv6 access and without full use of the control panel. (The CP lets me add IPv6 addresses, but they are not routeable; It does not let me turn on TUN/TAP, so I can't roll my own IPv6. The control functions (Boot, Shutdown) used to error out, and I don't care to try anything that might kill my running server without any means to reboot it.) The server itself gives every indication of having been moved from Jacksonville FL to Seattle WA although to my knowledge no announcement reflecting the move was ever made. My support ticket remains open since March 15th with no response since the 20th when a tech said he would get back to me with the dates IPv6 and the CP would be functional.

In a word, it's been a very odd experience: I've had servers deadpooled, but never half-moved and then abandoned before.

Goodserv, hope you were able to gain access to your data. Backups are essential in this business.

• me too, :(

• AdamMAdamM Member

I used to be a big fan of NodeServ when Jade was at the wheel. But if you are still onboard, jump ship while you still can.

• AdamM said: I used to be a big fan of NodeServ when Jade was at the wheel

I endorse that statement completely.

It was a well run place back in the day... (it seems so long ago although I'd say it's about 8 months ago).

After the acquisition, it has been a torrid experience in terms of VPS usability and stability. Ticket replies takes a week or two - so it's pretty much really torture of the sustained slow variety.

I have my VPS paid up for the next year or so and will just use it as a test bed (it's pretty much useless even for testing as the network is very unstable).

Sad to see a good place go to the dogs.

• In the interests of full disclosure, this evening the IPv6 access was re-established on the VPS, but some CP problems remain. Provided it remains stable, I'll probably use it as a backup device and spare server, and I'll have to review its reliability when the server comes up for renewal next February. Frankly, I hope it remains stable, as right now it is a peppy little box.

• It's happening to me today. My VPS down since morning. My tickets still not answered. Then I found this thread...
    I'll need to find a new provider, once I can get my files, I'll move out...

• corvidcorvid Member

To my knowledge, My VPS at NodeServ has been offline since Thursday June 29, 2017. Checking server status said server migration. Next day June 30, I submitted support ticket requesting to bring VPS back online. Ticket response has been abysmal. Renewal Invoice is due July 5. I will not renew unless my vps is brought back to the same condition it was on June 29th. It is my expectation if nodeserv on its own discretion decides to perform server migration that they create a backup of my vps in case of any issues. I do not have a backup on June 29th and It should not be my responsibility to act to create a backup if Nodeserv decides to perform server migration on a date of its own choosing.

NodServ has yet to bring VPS back online and are have sent me a suspension notice. I called a phone number (321) 214-0912 three times today found on google. First time no answer, second time some lady answers then goes silent, third time line rings then goes busy.

How can I obtain a backup of my VPS on June 29, 2017 from NodeServ?
    What are my options?
    @donnykurnia , where did you decide to go?
    @AdamM, where did you jump to?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2017

12:21:10 up 47 days, 30 min, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

12:21:21 up 47 days, 27 min, 0 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Just throwing this in here, as my containers are online just now. Doesn't seem like a ship has sunk, or whatnot.

• corvidcorvid Member

@ricardo Good to know that your containers are online. Offers hope to recover a backup of my container that is been offline since 6/29/17. Please advise:
    (1) How can I obtain a backup of my VPS on June 29, 2017 from NodeServ? (2) What are my options? (3) @donnykurnia , where did you decide to go? (4) @AdamM, where did you jump to?

• corvidcorvid Member
    edited July 2017

Tried to post an image of NodeServ support ticket but image would not show

• corvidcorvid Member

any ideas:

`

(1) How can I obtain a backup of my VPS on June 29, 2017 from NodeServ?
    (2) What are my options?
    (3) @donnykurnia , where did you decide to go?
    (4) @AdamM, where did you jump to?`

• WSSWSS Member

Looks like your container is fucked. Ask them to try booting vzctl --verbose to see what else is going on, but they're obviously above their head for the first tier- and no bumping upwards in over a week? Yikes.

• @corvid Did Nodeserv offer you a backup service as part of your service?

Their response seems reasonable. Something is wrong with your container and they're asking you if it's OK to reinstall the OS, on your behalf. A reinstall would probably get the container back up and running, but with your data wiped.

If it boils down to you not having any backups, it's a tough lesson to learn but one that needs to be learnt. You should keep your own backups.

Thanked by 2ucxo maverickp
  • corvidcorvid Member

@ricardo said:
    @corvid Did Nodeserv offer you a backup service as part of your service?

Their response seems reasonable. Something is wrong with your container and they're asking you if it's OK to reinstall the OS, on your behalf. A reinstall would probably get the container back up and running, but with your data wiped.

If it boils down to you not having any backups, it's a tough lesson to learn but one that needs to be learnt. You should keep your own backups.

TOS Data Protection clause expressly states:

"However data loss is always possible and it is up to the client to retain up to date backups in multiple locations - we will not be responsible to any data loss."

When data loss occurs as a result of Nodeserv's own discretion to migrate server then the above clause does not indemnify Nodeserv of liability.

while Nodeserv is not liable for Acts of god, Acts of others, e.g., malicious attacks, VPS provider must exercise care with its own acts.

@WSS said:
    Looks like your container is fucked. Ask them to try booting vzctl --verbose to see what else is going on, but they're obviously above their head for the first tier- and no bumping upwards in over a week? Yikes.

data Wipe will not work. Nodeserv must surrender a June 28 or there abouts backup of my container preceding the action of migrating server which led to "damaging" the container.

Support is now telling me pay for renewal in order to rebuild. No money for NodeServ until they rebuild with my backup and surrender a backup of container.

It is up to NodeServ to act to mitigate further damages. There is NO WAY that Nodeserv damages my container due to their migration and they walk away without consequences.

The entity NodeServ LLC filed voluntary dissolution on 5/1/17 and is no longer active in the state of Florida.

Nodeserv Manager listed is:

Jade Giampietro
    2423 S Orange Ave
    Orlando, FL 32806

Support signs with name Clynt B.

At this point, I will offer up to $100 (1) to obtain a backup of my container preceding NodeServ's action of migrating server and (2) Provide actionable intelligence to Sue owner/s of ServNode.

Acta non Verba

• PwnerPwner Member

@corvid said:
    TOS Data Protection clause expressly states:

"However data loss is always possible and it is up to the client to retain up to date backups in multiple locations - we will not be responsible to any data loss."

When data loss occurs as a result of Nodeserv's own discretion to migrate server then the above clause does not indemnify Nodeserv of liability.

Regardless of the fact that NodeServ botched the migration and ultimately your data, it's strictly on you for making sure you had proper backups in place in the event that anything happens to your server.

while Nodeserv is not liable for Acts of god, Acts of others, e.g., malicious attacks, VPS provider must exercise care with its own acts.
    At this point, I will offer up to $100 (1) to obtain a backup of my container preceding NodeServ's action of migrating server and (2) Provide actionable intelligence to Sue owner/s of ServNode.

Acta non Verba

Yeah...good luck with that. If a provider loses your data during a migration, but you still accepted in the TOS that you are responsible for backing up your data and not them, it's on you. Your fault for accepting those terms, you could have chosen to go with another provider that offers a better TOS to work with.

At this point, your best bet is to salvage what you can and learn from your mistakes, find a better provider to host your critical information with, even if it means paying a premium to prevent disasters like this from happening in the future.

Thanked by 1Aidan