Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a tablet.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a tablet.

DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
edited May 2013 in General

Hi, I'm looking for a tablet with price under $99.89 (All I have in paypal). I need free ship to Colombia (sites like dx, focalprice) and obviously, must accept paypal. Any suggestions?

I've checked this: http://goo.gl/l0JgR and this:http://goo.gl/Iz7hH looks like the difference is the battery, both quadcore at 1.5Ghz (?)

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

ainol is more popular i guess

• shipping cost only will be more than $99.89...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

shipping cost only will be more than $99.89...

Did you not notice Worldwide Free Shipping at that website? And yes, they are for real.

Although I would recommend http://www.aliexpress.com/ , lots more choice and typically lower prices than at "standalone" shops like Focalprice or DX.

@DestroyeRCo as for your tablets, I don't think any of those is good enough, the resolution is too low. You can get 1280x800: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ramos-W28-Tablet-PC-7-dual-core-IPS-Screen-HD-1280x800-pixels-Amlogic-8726-Mx-1/857819952.html

P.S.: oh sorry, after writing all this, I remembered that Aliexpress stopped accepting Paypal some time ago :S

• MikeInMikeIn Member

focalprice says "Worldwide Free Shipping"...
    Is it really worldwide or some specific country?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2013

I just got a Surface and its solidly mediocre.

Yeah, the touch keyboard. I really don't know how I feel about the whole thing just yet.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

try onda also

@Jack said:
    jbiloh yea that's what I have heard it's not too friendly to those who touch type and requires some force for the input to go through.

I'd get a nexus 10 if I could make the choice again.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited May 2013

@jbiloh said:
    I'd get a nexus 10 if I could make the choice again.

I too was on the tablet hunt, thankfully I finished today! I just picked up a Nexus 7 today from Walmart and I'm really happy with it so far. The build quality is excellent, as well as the screen which was the most important factor for me, everything else at a similar price point and form factor had an inferior screen, especially those random china tabs.

Another deciding factor for me was the large community behind the Nexus 7, I looked at some Android forums and there a few brands, Cube, PIPO, with a little bit of support but nothing like the Nexus. Having multiple custom roms and tweaks available are important to me, not to mention Google support behind it. The Nexus feels very fast, the screen looks great, much better then anything I'd find from China probably and it was only about $50 more.

The only real negatives I have found so far are the lack of HDMI & MicroSD, additional storage can be added with a USB OTG cable and a thumbdrive if I really needed it but I bought the larger storage model so I probably won't need any additional. Lacking an HDMI output was a large concern to me at first, but I have enough media capable pc's and I'm thinking of just buying one of those Android sticks for media playing, I'm not sure the video playback would have been all that great from one of those chinatabs anyhow.

8.5/10 on the Nexus 7, it's a quality piece of hardware with a fairly large development community. This is actually my first Android purchase, as I'm still using a WinMobile phone, and it's meeting my expectations so far. The best advice I can offer is don't skip on the screen, it's better to spend a little extra money up front and get something that can do better than the 800x480 resolution my Nokia did in 2005.

All I really want now is a decent keyboard, I'm looking at those keyboard/case combos but I think a stand alone bluetooth keyboard might be a better purchase.

@nunim you made the right choice. Android is the way of the future, and everything else is a 2 bit sham by comparison. The Windows 8 RT app store is the most pathetic thing I've ever experienced -- and I used to have a Palm Pre, so I know bad app stores.

• nunimnunim Member

One small side note, how does Android not have an NX Client???!? I can't go back to VNC...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

Is it really worldwide or some specific country?

Really worldwide. They are not unique too, also check: http://www.dx.com/ http://www.buyincoins.com/ There are dozens more, but these are the largest ones with some reputation (although DX also has a reputation of being slow at processing/shipping orders).

The reason this is possible, postal services are cheap in China (well, like pretty much everything), and also subsidized by the government. But expect that the shipping can easily take 1 month or more.

• @rm_ yes DX is slow, but I trust them. I spent about $500 buying stuff from China hahaha. Thanks for posting buyincoins and aliexpress. Also DHgate has better prices than dx or focalprice, but doens't accept paypal.

• @rm_ It is necessary to have a good resolution? It needs it to run some apps?

• NickGHNickGH Member

Has anyone tried the new tablet from Sony? I am looking at getting that one in a few weeks for both mobile management of my hosting services as well as an all around solid machine. Anyone have experience with it?

• @NickGH Xperia?

• NickGHNickGH Member

Yeah, that is what I was looking at. I have no brand loyalties but it is one of the ones I was looking at.

• @NickGH Is an awesome tablet, is under rated by users. Buy it if you want something with 10/10 quality.

• I would suggest waiting, saving your money, and trying to get a Nexus 7. I suspect you will be highly disappointed and regret buying one of those sub $100 tablets.

• NickGHNickGH Member

@DestroyeRCo said:
    NickGH Is an awesome tablet, is under rated by users. Buy it if you want something with 10/10 quality.

Thanks, it is nice to know I am on the right track :)