Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Services to Iran
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Services to Iran

Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Just came across this article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/05/everything-from-iphones-to-vpns-can-now-be-legally-exported-to-iran/

On Thursday, the Obama Administration lifted digital sanctions that for more than two decades have prevented companies that do business in the US from also selling or distributing digital goods—including mobile phones, hosting services, VPNs, and software updates—to Iran.

Comments

• hosting services,

The sanctions on US hosting companies selling hosting services to Iranian individuals for non-commercial personal communications purposes have been lifted but the sanctions on selling hosting services to Iranian companies/individuals that will be used for commercial endeavors is still prohibited. Domain name registration services are also still prohibited.

(see section 4 on page 3 http://www.scribd.com/doc/144712313/iran-gld

• What about companies that are actively doing business with Iranians? I know the datacenter that owns this site has/is/does done/doing business with Iranians (http://pastebin.com/vF4U27wv).

Does the Treasury Department actually enforce this with any sort of strictness?

While I believe in free trade, the law is the law and it's best just to turn them away. Not worth the risk of having any three letter agencies breathing down your neck in the off chance one of your illegal clients is hosting more than just a recipe blog or something.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@MannDude said:
    What about companies that are actively doing business with Iranians? I know the datacenter that owns this site has/is/does done/doing business with Iranians (http://pastebin.com/vF4U27wv).

While I believe in free trade, the law is the law and it's best just to turn them away. Not worth the risk of having any three letter agencies breathing down your neck in the off chance one of your illegal clients is hosting more than just a recipe blog or something.

I read a while back (I'll have a google for the source now) that there were a large amount of 'permits' granted to US companies to deal with Iran despite the embargo.

It's possible CC was one of those companies. This of course is purely speculation, however.

• How about ICANN having registries in Iran?

• the bullying of Iran by the USA (a state convicted of state terrorism) continues.....

• @ElliotJ said:
    It's possible CC was one of those companies. This of course is purely speculation, however.

Possibly.

/shrugs

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2013

Beware that this does NOT APPLY TO THE EUROPEAN UNION - Dealing with Iranians from the EU is still sanctioned and highly illegal.

@[Deleted User] said:

No, not unlike Cuba, it was never really enforced for digital goods.
    I doubt that CC has a license however, this is normally restricted for dealings with Government entities (i.e. selling Transit to ITC via Turkey, some US carriers are allowed to do that)

• SpiritSpirit Member

@William said:
    Beware that this does NOT APPLY TO THE EUROPEAN UNION - Dealing with Iranians from the EU is still sanctioned and highly illegal.

That's not exactly true. EU sanctions are limited to financial services, energy sectors and technologies and includes a ban on the provision of insurance and reinsurance by EU insurers to the State of Iran and Iranian owned companies.
    The EU is Iran's largest trading partner, accounting for a third of all Iranian exports.

• rds100rds100 Member

Don't know what exactly is forbidden, but i can buy here some fruits imported from Iran (date fruit).

• Yes, the main issue is however that you'd need to find a payment method that does not violate sanctions (= impossible, SWIFT is disabled, you can't use any US infra so no CCs, if he has an US/CA/EU bank acocunt it's again illegal due to SWIFT usage, sending cash is illegal as well IIRC) and compare each name to a (not fully published) EU list and make sure even if he isn't on it that he is in no way connected to any of them (which is not feasible to check for a deal under like 20k EUR)... and so on

• ztecztec Member

I signed a contract with my bank that I would not do business with Iran. I guess using paypal / moneybookers is allowed though.

• @ztec said:
    I signed a contract with my bank that I would not do business with Iran. I guess using paypal / moneybookers is allowed though.

I doubt you can use Paypal (a US company) to do any money transfers with Iran...

And Moneybookers says on their internet site:
    "Due to legal restrictions, our services are not available for residents of Iran"

• Yea, you can't get paid by Iranian clients without violationg embargoes, US, EU or Iranian laws (as Rials are worthless and it is not legal to own foreign currency)

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

Iranian rials aren't worthless. the USA has illegally put sanctions on Iran and has been bullying other countries to follow this policy. This is the main problem. If the Americans don't want to trade with Iran, that's fine. Why stop others from doing so.

One of the largest exports for Iran was caviar. And theirs was also the best.
    They are not allowed to export caviar anymore to USA/EU. Why? Is caviar a threat to world peace. Are those caviar Nookolar weapons grade? Guess which country benefits most from the elimination of Iranian caviar from the world market. It is Israel. Now they are one of the biggest producers and exporters of caviar.

Join the US Army AND get ready to DIE for Israel in the upcoming war against Iran.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@asterisk14 said:
    They are not allowed to export caviar anymore to USA/EU. Why? Is caviar a threat to world peace.

Are you sure about EU? Or that's caviar explicitely? Because Kotanyi (big Austrian company which import herbs and spices from whole world and export them across EU) sell some spices and herbs from Iran across whole EU. Terragon is one of such products from Iran http://www.austria-onlineshop.com/kotanyi-tarragon_2_0_0_1935.html?bild_id=299

• @spirit: i'm certain it's sanctioned by US, and AFAIK EU, as Iran was largest producer, now Israel is one of the largest.

The effects of sanctions in Iran include expensive basic goods and an aging and increasingly unsafe aircraft fleet. "According to reports from Iranian news agencies, 17 planes have crashed over the past 25 years, killing approximately 1,500 people

International Civil Aviation Organization, reported that the U.S. sanctions had endangered the safety of civil aviation in Iran because it prevented Iran from acquiring parts and support essential for aviation safety. It also stated that the sanctions were contrary to article 44 of the Chicago convention (to which the US is a member). The ICAO report said aviation safety affects human lives and human rights, stands above political differences, and that the assembly should bring international public pressure on the United States to lift the sanctions against Iran.

• @Spirit said:
    Because Kotanyi (big Austrian company which import herbs and spices from whole world and export them across EU) sell some spices and herbs from Iran across whole EU

Kotanyi has an exception for imports (which are currently not limited for spices, just payment is the problem - usually done in Gold and Silver now by Turkish middle-men) so an EU embargo would not cause anything anyway.

• @William said:
    ... Gold and Silver ...

Gold and Silver are the real money. Countries using floating currencies without sufficient metal based backup are vulnerable to global economic turmoil.

However using Gold and Silver as means of payment might raise anger to whom control the global currency exchange, IMHO.

• @asterisk14 said:
    One of the largest exports for Iran was caviar. And theirs was also the best.
    Is caviar a threat to world peace.

Iranian caviar is still sold - so I guess there are exceptions for some trading goods.

Even US companies sell them, e.g.: http://www.caviarexpress.com/Iranian-Sevruga-Caviar-2-ounce-Tin

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

@vRozenSch00n said:However using Gold and Silver as means of payment might raise anger to whom control the global currency exchange, IMHO

Yep, Iraq wanted to sell oil in Euro and look what happened to her, Libya wanted to sell oil in Gold and looked what happened to her. Iran wants to sell oil in Euro's, Roubles, Rembi, and some other currencies and look how it is being bullied and forced into war. Make no mistake, the US is bullying the Iranians and trying to get them to fire the first shot so they get an excuse to turn it into rubble just like they have done with Iraq and then American oil companies will be once again free to steal the Iranian peoples oil, like in 1953-1979.