Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers, *please* assign a /64 per server, otherwise your IPv6 will be worthless - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers, *please* assign a /64 per server, otherwise your IPv6 will be worthless

13»

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

Maounique said: So the customer can select the IP he likes more instead of being assigned at random. I think random is best, if people cant take a deal because they like dead beef cafe more, their business, once we had a customer say he wants the IPv4 to end in 88 because will bring him good luck. This is childish, if you really want it that bad, you get a KVM or Xen and have plenty of dead beef cafes to choose from.

The point is there are no other customers within the same /64.

Really, you seem to be the kind of person who when they don't know how to do something, will invent ALL SORTS of reasons how they "don't understand" why this must be done, or why this isn't really necessary at all.

Instead of just learning.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2017

rm_ said: The point is there are no other customers within the same /64.

Yes, so? The only difference is we give them IPs from different /64, as noted, one per /64, instead of allowing them to select a few from one /64. If the VM is larger and has more IPv6, it has the equivalent of more /64, one /128 from each, is like having multiple IPv4 from the point of blacklisting as those /64 do not shed other IPv6 to other customers .
    But, as I said, the problem is wrongly put on the table, if your provider does not tackle spam, your own /64 or not, you will still have issues, better to move to a clean provider and leave the spammers behind.
    Not to mention that a provider which does not care about one illegal thing may not care about others, so...
    I still have not seen one argument on how IPv6 allocations to a provider can become useless if they do not allocate full /64. It is not like RIPE or ARIN will check random IPv6 from their stack and if they do not ping will take the /32 back, this is not IPv4, you know.

• ucxoucxo Member

@Maounique said: The only difference is we give them IPs from different /64, as noted, one per /64, instead of allowing them to select a few from one /64. If the VM is larger and has more IPv6, it has the equivalent of more /64, one /128 from each, is like having multiple IPv4 from the point of blacklisting as those /64 do not shed other IPv6 to other customers .

I have no idea what you just said. Could you rephrase that, please?

Maounique said: if your provider does not tackle spam, your own /64 or not, you will still have issues, better to move to a clean provider and leave the spammers behind.

Even a "clean" provider will usually only notice that a customer is spamming when the abuse reports start pouring in and the IP is already blacklisted. A good provider will then warn the customer, or perhaps remove him right away, and request delistings for the IP.
    All that takes time; time during which my mailserver in that shared /64 would be blacklisted and thus worthless.

Also, you seem to think that the first action of every blacklist is to block the entire /24 IPv4, or perhaps even the whole provider. That's simply not true.
    Try these two IPs from vStoike's network: 77.73.64.61 (17 listings) vs 77.73.64.63 (0 listings)
    Among them are listings from SORBS and Barracuda, so those aren't some no-name lists either.

Any reputable blacklist will work its way up the hierarchy, first blocking individual /32 IPv4 or /64 IPv6, and eventually block the whole subnet if the provider doesn't act against the abuse. So yes, with a spammy provider, everything is lost. But on the other hand, even a good provider will have the occasional bad customer, and I don't want that to cut me off from mail, IRC, or wherever else the server gets blacklisted.

Thanked by 1default
  • WSSWSS Member

My ISP routes me a /128. There's someone above, and beneath me- which is really odd because I seem to be the only person here who actually has IPv6. Wonder how many routers are setup to take DHCPv6, and just absolutely ignore it.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:
    My ISP routes me a /128. There's someone above, and beneath me- which is really odd because I seem to be the only person here who actually has IPv6. Wonder how many routers are setup to take DHCPv6, and just absolutely ignore it.

In the US, Comcast gives out a /60 to each client for some reason.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@KuJoe said:

@WSS said:

I'm lucky if it works even half the time with comcast in my region. V6 outages are(or were anyway, I disabled mine) pretty common with them it seems and if you call to ask about it they just say your internet is up and working. I guess they only check v4 stats or something, either way it would be nice if their ipv6 they were so proud of actually worked. Doesn't really help ipv6 adoption if you just have a "we support ipv6" sticker on your internet and it barely works for some people.

edited March 2017

@Setsura said:

@KuJoe said:

@WSS said:

I'm lucky if it works even half the time with comcast in my region. V6 outages are(or were anyway, I disabled mine) pretty common with them it seems and if you call to ask about it they just say your internet is up and working. I guess they only check v4 stats or something, either way it would be nice if their ipv6 they were so proud of actually worked. Doesn't really help ipv6 adoption if you just have a "we support ipv6" sticker on your internet and it barely works for some people.

For me it was the opposite, my IPv6 was amazing while IPv4 always had issues. I paid for 100Mbps and I'd always get above 120Mbps over IPv6 while IPv4 would be less than 50Mbps. I would regularly see some packet loss over IPv4 at least once a week, never experienced any packet loss over IPv6 (probably because they handed it off to Level3 after the first hop outside of my network). The latency over IPv4 would be double that of IPv6 so I'd only connect to my servers using IPv6 because there was no "lag" over SSH, RDP, VNC, etc... the thing I missed most about leaving Colorado was the lack of Comcast in my area in Florida. I did hate that they changed from a /64 to a /60 without telling anybody so my IPv6 went dark for a week until I found somebody talking about it online, but it wasn't a huge deal.

• @KuJoe said:
    For me it was the opposite, my IPv6 was amazing while IPv4 always had issues. I paid for 100Mbps and I'd always get above 120Mbps over IPv6 while IPv4 would be less than 50Mbps. I would regularly see some packet loss over IPv4 at least once a week, never experienced any packet loss over IPv6 (probably because they handed it off to Level3 after the first hop outside of my network). The latency over IPv4 would be double that of IPv6 so I'd only connect to my servers using IPv6 because there was no "lag" over SSH, RDP, VNC, etc... the thing I missed most about leaving Colorado was the lack of Comcast in my area in Florida. I did hate that they changed from a /64 to a /60 without telling anybody so my IPv6 went dark for a week until I found somebody talking about it online, but it wasn't a huge deal.

That is kinda a weird thing for me, I'd always heard people get throttled and whatnot on comcast, but my experience(v4) has mostly been black and white, either they are having a straight outage or it is working within acceptable levels for me. I rarely get throttling of any kind, and I only very rarely see packet loss, but the v6 experience was just packet loss hell all the time and they seemingly didn't want to do anything about it when I called.

Also, I feel you about leaving Florida, I used to live there too. Bright House was a fairly decent ISP for me, moving to a Comcast only area hasn't been pleasant for me.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:

@WSS said:

Charter are cunts.

@Setsura said:
    Also, I feel you about leaving Florida, I used to live there too. Bright House was a fairly decent ISP for me, moving to a Comcast only area hasn't been pleasant for me.

BHN was a nightmare in terms of packet loss, so much so that I had to switch to Verizon's FiOS and give up my awesome internet package I got through work and pay more than double for the same speeds, their customer service is a PITA but they're extremely stable and I like not having a modem, they just run a CAT5e cable into my house and I plug it straight into my Ubiquiti Edge Router to get online.

• @KuJoe said:

@Setsura said:

BHN was a nightmare in terms of packet loss, so much so that I had to switch to Verizon's FiOS and give up my awesome internet package I got through work and pay more than double for the same speeds, their customer service is a PITA but they're extremely stable and I like not having a modem, they just run a CAT5e cable into my house and I plug it straight into my Ubiquiti Edge Router to get online.

Hm odd, BHN was alright in my area, I was closer to Jacksonville though. You were Tampa area right? I heard they weren't so great there.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

After I bitched over chat about my /128, my modem rebooted and now I have a /64. (It was an aside- there was a poisoned ARP and shit was sucking bad.)

What the fuck am I going to do with a /64 that's locked to one MAC address? Thank god I have 128MB in the LEDE packet pusher.

• Digitalocean needs to hear this!

• muratai said: Digitalocean needs to hear this!

Linode too :) they give one IPv6 default, but they'll give /64 if you asking. Their reason
    This isn't something we get requests for that often, and we wouldn't want it to be abused in any way, so that is why we don't offer the ability to add a /64 block.

I wasting few hours debugging why IPv6 dont work in my openvpn because of this

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

sibaper said: but they'll give /64 if you asking

They can provide up to a /56: https://www.linode.com/docs/networking/native-ipv6-networking
    This will come in handy if you want to set up a multi-user VPN with IPv6.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

sibaper said: Linode too :) they give one IPv6 default, but they'll give /64 if you asking.

Other people may do this as well, they must take some steps to know the user knows what IPv6 is and that his firewall if he uses one is dual stack too. By abused, I think Linode means misused rather. If you go and ask for a /56, they would assume you know something about it.