Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMware in KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMware in KVM

ZealZeal Member

I am thinking of buying a high resource KVM and install VMware in it and create 4 VPS in it. Do you think it's feasible and functional?

Comments

• Why not just use OpenVZ?

• ZealZeal Member

@elwebmaster said:
    Why not just use OpenVZ?

I plan to run Atavism Online game servers for different builds. But, I only know how to operate them using Windows.

• Better buy dedi instead.

• Most KVM don't allow nested virtualization, so it'll run very slow. Buy a dedi with DDoS protection.

• DaipuXDaipuX Member
    edited March 2017

NO. You need a dedicated server.

Most VPSs do not allow nested virtualization and are also prohibited.

• Netcup.eu allows it at an extra charge, they also allocate dedicated CPUs on their VPS root servers. But check if location and bandwidth limitations work with your scenario (search around for reviews).

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Why not just go with multiple vps, $20 budget could also get you a dedi if you try.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

or a pooled resource / Virtual DC type of account where one can create multiple VMs properly?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

You can run VMware esx in KVM I support it on my KVM platform, you are limited to the ide bus for your disk image though ESX will not see virtio disks so don't expect any real performance.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I tried the setup with nested virt and it's not really worth the hassle unless you have an idea that brings in money.

Or if there are some other really good reason for your request.

• WSSWSS Member

@mikho said:

Usually alcohol is involved.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

Usually alcohol is involved.

Alcohol and esx is a bad combo. Even worse than hookers and pokemons.

• @zeal unless you need specific function provided by VMware, you would do better in your scenerio to install Debian on the VPS and then run yours VMs in virtualbox. Unless you are using it for a commercial purpose it's free, has an easy UI, and supports Windows.

If you are going to go through the hassel of installing VMware then as others suggested you would benefit greatly from a dedicated server.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• unless it's for reselling, try LXC / LXD system containers on a very new Linux kernel.

You are trying to build a VMware training lab maybe?

• It is a very very very bad idea to install windows on top of vmware on top of kvm. The performance penalty will be huge and, if kvm is rented, you will probably be kicked out by your provider.

• @Zeal said:

@elwebmaster said:
    Why not just use OpenVZ?

I plan to run Atavism Online game servers for different builds. But, I only know how to operate them using Windows.

Very bad idea. Like others have said you should go for a dedi. If you think you can get better CPU for the money with KVM you are fooling yourself, the way you are planning to use it will most certainly violate the acceptable use of your provider and your CPU will be throttled to an Atom speed or you will be kicked out altogether. Get a Kimsufi/Online deal and install your VMWare/VirtualBox on it.

• ZealZeal Member

Thanks, looking into a dedi now, saved me from installing VMware in a kvm.