Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS spec question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS spec question

I've got a question for the experts here. I currently have a wordpress site serving real estate info which has been running on shared hosting for the last year. The site itself sees about 5000 unique visitors a month and a couple hundred daily and has about 2000 properties listed. Now I've been with godaddy, inmotionhosting and A2 but shared anything is painfully slow especially when populating a google map with results. Now after some reading up I should be shifting something bigger with better software (nginx / mariaDB etc) but shared of course doesn't really give you the option needed to do so which leads me to the question at hand. What size VPS would you recommend I be on? Price point is important as it isn't earning anything currently it is a pet project and I'm on the east coast of Canada so would like to be based there for latency. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

OVH Canada KVM based on SSD perhaps?

• I can tell you that I have a wp site with 5k unique visitors a day (not a month) running smoothly on a 512 KB 2 vCores system.
    As for your database, 2k records is small. You might btw. also run it easily with Sqlite.

If you aren't experienced enough to properly configure everything, you might want to go with 2 vCores, 1GB memory.

As for east-coast canada, there should be quite some ovh resellers here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bsdguy said: I can tell you that I have a wp site with 5k unique visitors a day (not a month) running smoothly on a 512 KB 2 vCores system.

Simply serving a CMS is different than plotting thousands of properties on google maps.

• @Maounique said:

bsdguy said: I can tell you that I have a wp site with 5k unique visitors a day (not a month) running smoothly on a 512 KB 2 vCores system.

Simply serving a CMS is different than plotting thousands of properties on google maps.

Not really. Mainly 2 reasons: a) A reasonable approach would be to pre-plot/prepare those maps and to then simply show the image (and or link to google maps), b) each visitor wants just to see a couple of them, not all 2k.

Also keep in mind that 5K visitors/month is less than 200/day which means the system load wouldn't be high even if one stupidly created the maps for each visitor (which would be rather braindead anyway)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bsdguy said: Mainly 2 reasons: a) A reasonable approach would be to pre-plot/prepare those maps and to then simply show the image (and or link to google maps)

I mostly agree, but if the man wants to have it that way, who are we to say no. Just give him an idea on how much resources he should need.
    This is more about CPU and disk, so 1 GB should do for that, better have some reserves than stress the VM with swap or stuff, memory is pretty cheap these days. Rest, 2 cores, ssd, and that is that.

• bsdguy said:
    If you aren't experienced enough to properly configure everything

This is really the question that everything rests on. Someone who is only used to WordPress via managed/shared hosting could be in for a very rude awakening if they think they can just throw it on a cheap VPS and be good.

• @Maounique said:

bsdguy said: Mainly 2 reasons: a) A reasonable approach would be to pre-plot/prepare those maps and to then simply show the image (and or link to google maps)

I mostly agree, but if the man wants to have it that way, who are we to say no. Just give him an idea on how much resources he should need.
    This is more about CPU and disk, so 1 GB should do for that, better have some reserves than stress the VM with swap or stuff, memory is pretty cheap these days. Rest, 2 cores, ssd, and that is that.

Oops, I made a stupid mistake. He said "painfully slow especially when populating a google map with results." which for whatever weird wiring in my head I mistook to mean "show where a given real estate is" and I notice only now that it's actually probably about showing all available properties near/around a certain desired location ("what houses do you have in or near footown?").

For that two things might be helpful: a) someone having experience with google maps and b) some input from the OP regarding the size of area we're talking about. Is it more like "pretty much all properties are with 50 miles around my town" or is it more like "those 2000 properties are spread all over canada"? If the former, prepared maps (being updated whenever a new properties enters the system) could be used, if the latter one probably really needed to populate google maps for each visitor.

@impossiblystupid said:

bsdguy said:
    If you aren't experienced enough to properly configure everything

This is really the question that everything rests on. Someone who is only used to WordPress via managed/shared hosting could be in for a very rude awakening if they think they can just throw it on a cheap VPS and be good.

Absolutely. That's why I suggested to double RAM as this usually is a good first approach. Throwing memory at, uhm, less than optimal configurations usually "solves" most problems.
    And OP coming from a shared hosting background I felt it seemed reasonable to give that advice.

• The google maps is at the city level for searches but it can output a fair amount of results. On shared hosting the population time varies but even a city with only 50 entries takes 30-40 seconds which is excessive. I started on shared as it was easy / lazy at the time but it has outgrown that as an option. VPS doesn't scare I've been in the linux side of things a long time so I can handle setup / configuring it. That said you can't go wrong getting more spec wise so it does have room to grow if needed

Who are you currently with bsdguy if you don't mind me asking? Might be worth spinning on up to test how it works. Or anyone for that matter who's had good luck with a VPS provider I should have done it this way in the first place but being something in my own time I went for easy not smart... lesson learned there...lol

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited March 2017

@twilightzone

I'm with no one you'd care about as I'm in europe but you shouldn't have any problems to get what you need for about 50$/yr with a ovh reseller.

I'd strongly suggest to get a KVM based VPS. Don't get excited over ssd and rather prefer raided (R1) disks of any kind as most of your stuff will be in OS caches anyway. So, 2 vCores should be plenty enough, but get no less than 1GB memory. Looking at your traffic both connection speed and traffic volume should be no problem; 100Mbit (which is pretty standard) is good enough and 0.5TB is plenty enough, too I guess. If you spend extra money on anything then spend it on more RAM. You'll notice the difference.

As for the maps, well, if it's mainly city (or even city plus city+10 miles around) based I'd suggest to pre-generate the maps for any given city whenever you enter a new property and to simply serve the prepared image.

That job could btw. be done during quiet times (e.g. nightly) or even in your office (with the resulting images then uploaded).

For any further help you should tell us a little more about yourself in terms of IT experience and knowledge level. E.g. would it be feasible for you to develop small scripts? How much experience do you have in setting up and configuring a web server and a database? etc...

• Yeah site has regional content so only makes sense to have it in north america. I don't suppose you know any of those $50/yr host options with the spec you're talking about off the top of your head? You're very active here so might have input even if you've never directly used them. This site is a wealth of knowledge but the search function isn't the best.

I've been in IT for decades and using linux about that long as well. My typical focus hasn't been the web end of things but yes I can script automation has been making me look more productive for years..lol

• Use google instead of LET search.
    site:lowendtalk.com KEYWORD

I'd suggest giving LunaNode a try, they have a Toronto location and you can upgrade/downgrade your vm anytime.
    I could spin up a vm for you so you can test it if you'd like.

• bapbap Member

512mb KVM should be enough