Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS for Backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS for Backups

CronusCronus Member

I'm looking for a VPS to mostly capture backups from my other servers.

Would love these specs, although the disc space is the absolute required resource.

CPU 2 or More Cores (More the better for burst compiling)
2048MB Ram (1024MB should be fine, I currently have a backup server only using a few hundred Meg, but its nice to have extra for compiling test programs!)
100GB HDD Space (has to be this)
100Mbps Network
1 Ipv4 Address
Currently I use one with 2TB Bandwidth, but I don't really go over 100GB so any amoutn should be fine.

The kicker is I"m wanting this for $7/m

As I said its mostly for hourly backups, so there shouldn't be any real strain on a node.

Comments

• CronusCronus Member

Well I don't know what happened to the formatting, it looked fine while i was editing it! :\
    Sorry guys..

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can offer this in Seattle and LA for 7$ a month with 2GB RAM :)

HMU if interested and I will give you a signup link.

• it's very cheap if it's xen for 2GB ram

• Hey Cronus,

We're running a $7/m special for the following:
    2GB ram
    4GB vSwap
    100GB HDD
    5TB Bandwidth (1Gbps port)

You can order here if interested: https://crissic.net/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited June 2013

We can do a custom plan for this @ 1024MB $7 https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php to request it. New York only.

• I'm curious, in the storage VPS arena, which element of the VPS dictates the cost? IP, disk space, bandwidth, RAM?

I'm a heavy storage VPS user. I have storage VPS at BuyVM, Hostigation, Fliphost, and Webwidehosting for a total of about 1.5TB online storage. Stock pricing runs me about ~$40USD/mo.

Aside from the initial upload, I use just a few hundred MB bandwidth per month for incremental backups running nightly. So that isn't a strain on the network pipe nor the RAM, CPU, or disk.

After seeing that hosts are willing to do custom plans for folks like the OP for higher RAM and CPU cycles, I'm wondering if I should be negotiating custom plans for myself instead of paying stock pricing. Maybe I can get a price break given that I use it solely for syncing nightlies. Of course that's not goign to happen if the costs are dominated by disks and IPs. If costs are dominated by RAM or CPU cycles, maybe I'm in for a treat :)

• SonwebhostSonwebhost Member
    edited June 2013

I will upgrade to 100 GB just for you when you buy $6.95/mo
    Here is your link: http://www.sonwebhost.com/bill426/cart.php?gid=13

30 GB Disk Space

256 MB Guaranteed RAM
    512 MB Burstable to RAM
    1000 GB Bandwidth
    100 Mbit Network Speed
    1 IP Address
    Full Root Access

• @rajprakash said:
    I'm curious, in the storage VPS arena, which element of the VPS dictates the cost? IP, disk space, bandwidth, RAM?

I'm a heavy storage VPS user. I have storage VPS at BuyVM, Hostigation, Fliphost, and Webwidehosting for a total of about 1.5TB online storage. Stock pricing runs me about ~$40USD/mo.

Aside from the initial upload, I use just a few hundred MB bandwidth per month for incremental backups running nightly. So that isn't a strain on the network pipe nor the RAM, CPU, or disk.

After seeing that hosts are willing to do custom plans for folks like the OP for higher RAM and CPU cycles, I'm wondering if I should be negotiating custom plans for myself instead of paying stock pricing. Maybe I can get a price break given that I use it solely for syncing nightlies. Of course that's not goign to happen if the costs are dominated by disks and IPs. If costs are dominated by RAM or CPU cycles, maybe I'm in for a treat :)

I would say it's safe to assume most of the cost comes for disk space, but there's a fair amount involved with the ram as well - it's always worth a shot negotiating a custom package to see if you can get costs cut down a bit. Either way you don't lose much by trying ;)

• bobbybobby Member
    edited June 2013

Fliphost, no issues noted since i became a customer (100 days), also offer free mysql and no usage restrictions afaik. EU: prometeus or torqhost (but seldom stock on any of their storage plans).

• UPRUPR Member

I asked for a customized plan from backupsy and they obliged. +1 for backupsy.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@bobby Thanks for the mention :)