Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If a provider offers you a 1 year free 1GB RAM, 50GB HD, 4vCPU XEN VPS no string attached...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

If a provider offers you a 1 year free 1GB RAM, 50GB HD, 4vCPU XEN VPS no string attached...

You know the performance is not very good in terms of machine and network blend, support just fair enough, pricing a little high, ToS very strict, what would you do? Would you:

1. Recommend the provider eagerly to others with 5 shining stars.
  2. Recommend the provider while providing evidence of the real fact.
  3. Simply use it for 1 year without recommending or promoting them.
  4. Turn the offer down.

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    1. Wonder what kind of provider is able to give away free product, then do #4, since if i'm not paying a provider some $$$, then i'm not going to be able to leverage good service from them, meaning I'm not really going to be able to use the VM for anything other than a toy.
  • awsonawson Member
    edited May 2013

Four. I'd be putting the VPS to waste by having it idling.

• @Damian Good point
    @awson not even use it for testing?

• DerekDerek Member

I would do both #1 and #2, if its a pretty good preforming VPS that is :P. If its just a low resource VPS it would just be used for a bouncer and prob forgotten about.

• awsonawson Member

@vRozenSch00n said:
    awson not even use it for testing?

I'm too lazy for that; and 1 year to test is overkill.

• edited May 2013

Maybe setup some little app like small sites or private proxy and give others freely.

^ Yes I do mean leave it idling and waste the IPv4.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I'd setup a gameserver.

• @FtpIt_Radi said:
    I'd setup a gameserver.

What option will you choose #1, #2, or #3

• PaulPaul Member

I'd probably do number 1 or 2. It doesn't really hurt to say something nice about a product, especially if it's true. Plus it's free.

• vanarpvanarp Member

I would do option 2

• Option 2. Honestly review it and make clear that you were given the server for free.

• upfreakupfreak Member

Option 2

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited May 2013

Obviously not option 1 and 2, since the performance are not very good.
    Provide feedback, and see what improvement they can do. If no improvement is happening, either tell honest experience/review or just stick with #3.

• FritzFritz Veteran

3 then ask for another year.

• bigballbigball Member
    edited May 2013

@Fritz

+1

• PatrickPatrick Member

@Derek said:
    I would do both #1 and #2, if its a pretty good preforming VPS that is :P. If its just a low resource VPS it would just be used for a bouncer and prob forgotten about.

You would do anything

• jcalebjcaleb Member

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

2 and ask for another year :D

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2013

Option 3.

1 and 2 are out as I know the performance is not very good (OP) and I'm not going to recommend the provider (also OP) if the performance is poor.

4 is out as I think it's impolite to refuse gifts :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

2 but probably 4 and more context is needed :D

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Take the offer, look at the performance for a week (if there is no improvement from the beginning) then option 4.

• ztecztec Member

Turn it down. Like Damian says, you don't have any leverage.

• I would take the offer. Depending on how bad it is, I might just forget about it after that.

• 1 and 2. Free is free. I'd use it as a backup file server where performance isn't exactly an issue

• GaryGary Member

@vRozenSch00n said:
    You know the performance is not very good in terms of machine and network blend, support just fair enough, pricing a little high, ToS very strict, what would you do? Would you:

1. Recommend the provider eagerly to others with 5 shining stars.

That would be disingenuous. If performance is "not very good", it's in no way a 5-star product. If support is adequate, that's fair enough. If pricing is high, that again detracts from the value for money of it, but it's up to people to judge that for themselves. Pricing and ToS are there for all to see. Caveat emptor. If they had particularly stupid clauses, I might point them out.

1. Recommend the provider while providing evidence of the real fact.

What is there to recommend about a product that's "not very good"? Unless everyone's getting them for free, people will be paying for them. If people are paying for them, could you really in good conscience recommend a "not very good" VPS?

1. Simply use it for 1 year without recommending or promoting them.

I'd be honest. Even if it's free, if it's crap then say so. Maybe if they gave away less free VPSes, the performance would be better?

1. Turn the offer down.

I'd probably do this, to be honest. If it's not very good, it's no use to me because I already have decent boxes. I might use it as a testbed, a devbox or something like that. I wouldn't have it in production though. Not just because it's not great performance-wise, but if you're paying nothing, they've no real incentive to give you good support, and you wouldn't have any comeback if they decided they didn't want to give away free VPSes any more.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2013

2 - Recommending it to those who can benefit from this kind of service, such as students, VPS beginners, and those who need an extra server on the Internet where performance is not a specific issue (say, a secondary DNS server). The real question is what to do when the 1 year period expires.

Amazon offers a free year of EC2, although I don't know how the free tier specs compare with the offer above. I have avoided it so far, because I want to keep it in abeyance until I can really use it.

I have a free VPS from host1free.com, albeit with much lower specs than above. I plan to use it as a learning tool and as a secondary DNS server. Who knows, I might use it to host a small personal website someday, too.

Review of Host1Free.com VPS:
    It was a pain to get enrolled, and they reject many who apply (I don't know why). Performance is low, and network performance is poor, but the VPS has been reliable. Support is through their forums, and is better than you might expect.

Obviously, their goal is to convert a certain percentage of their free users into paying customers for their premium services, but a side effect is that they are helping to train a cadre of experienced VPS users who may someday be your customers, too.

• Four because I would never use a free VPS for production sites and I don't have any other reason to need a VPS.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Abdussamad said:
    Four because I would never use a free VPS for production sites and I don't have any other reason to need a VPS.

This.

• @Gary & @Abdussamad Thanks for the answer and the reasoning.