Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi backup code not working what to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi backup code not working what to do?

TinkuTinku Member

All of a sudden my kimsufi backup code stopped working and now when i try to login it shows me the page to enter my backup code and when i enter the code it says invalid. Same code was working fine the last time i tried to use it before a few days.

Any idea how to fix this?

Comments

• What kind of product do you have, since they do not sell backup hosting?

• TinkuTinku Member

@myhken said:
    What kind of product do you have, since they do not sell backup hosting?

I have servers with them and had this 2FA enabled so they enabled backup codes on my account and when i login i have to enter one of those codes to gain access to my account. Now the backup code i had isn't working i don't know why.

• Then nobody beside Kimsufi/OVH can help you. It's not good security if someone here on LET could just help you get access to your account.
    Not used 2FA there (I'm using dedicated IPs), but if your code don't work, yea then you are screwed.

• TinkuTinku Member

@myhken said:
    Then nobody beside Kimsufi/OVH can help you. It's not good security if someone here on LET could just help you get access to your account.
    Not used 2FA there (I'm using dedicated IPs), but if your code don't work, yea then you are screwed.

I just wanted to know if anyone else faced this issue before and if they did how it was fixed? contacting OVH support? and is there a long verification process?

• OVH/Kimsufi is not known for their support. It can be a painful process, taking a very long time.

But, you have 2FA on your account, then you have some kind of backup code if your 2FA is not working? Correct?
    So have your 2FA stopped working also, so you have to use your backup code?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Out of curiosity, why are you using backup codes as a normal 2FA login method? Isn't the point of 2FA to use an app such as Google Auth? I thought backup codes were one time use regardless...

Thanked by 2netomx Hxxx
  • Assuming you're referring to the backup codes used in case you lose your 2FA device, those are one-time use only. I think you get 10; just use the next one to login to your account, then reset your 2FA setup so you can use your regular 2FA device (e.g., Google Authenticator app on your phone). The backup codes are only for emergency use, you should not be using them normally to login.

• Check if the time is correct on your 2FA device - do an NTP update. 2FA combines current time and shared key.

Backup codes (in lieu of 2FA) are one-time use only. Use another backup code.

• TinkuTinku Member

Now here is the issue that i am only shown a screen to enter the backup code after login and there is no other option like sending sms pin to my number or google authenticator code entry etc

I had only 1 code didn't save all the 10 stupid me :(

I didn't knew the code is for one time only but why on earth there is no 2FA option to verify then? All i am getting is a box to enter backup code and nothing else after login

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Well, you'll now need to see what sort of support will OVH provide, maybe you'll be lucky and this will be solved for you quickly.

Good luck!

• Have you lost your phone in which you set up 2FA?

• Kimsufi suppport is really your only option if you don't have your 2FA unit anymore.

• I just logged into my Kimsufi account (with 2FA) to check. I went to

https://www.kimsufi.com/en/manager/?lang=en_US#/login

Select "Login", then enter username/password. The next screen should say

Mobile application
    Please enter the code generated by your mobile application:

That's when you enter the TOTP code from your phone app.

If all else fails, try the "Forgot your password?" link from the login page.

Best of luck,

• @Tinku said:

I just wanted to know if anyone else faced this issue before and if they did how it was fixed? contacting OVH support? and is there a long verification process?

I have the same problem. My phone was reset because it was broken and had to be send in for repair. I do have 10 codes, however I really can't figure out where to enter them.
    Now I can't login to the ovh and kimsufi panel. Contacted ovh and kimsufi support via mail on friday, going to wait a week before I going to call them.

• TinkuTinku Member

Unfortunately it isn't showing me any Mobile application enter code page although i am able to login successfully but stuck on the backup code enter page. I never enabled SMS or Application option in my account they are both disabled all i did was generated the emergency code once but only copied 1 of those codes.

I called OVH technical helpline in US and they guy on phone was friendly listened to the whole issue and asked me to contact the validation team through contact form they can recover it because only they handle to 2FA related issues. I sent all the details now let's see what happens and when they reply back and how they validate me hopefully i will get it back. I have access to everything including email,phone,past transaction/invoice ids, scanned copies of cards etc they used for validation before.

• Tinku said: I never enabled SMS or Application option in my account they are both disabled all i did was generated the emergency code once but only copied 1 of those codes.

And then you have learned not to do next. Why enable 2FA and not using the actual 2FA login system? Then you could just use the normal password login.

• FalzoFalzo Member

myhken said: Why enable 2FA and not using the actual 2FA login system?

lack of knowledge what 2FA actually means?

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited March 2017

@Falzo yes most likely heard about 2FA and that is very safe. So activate 2FA, but do not enable the actual 2FA, just generate a key(aka password). Must be much more safer then just using a normal password :D :D

• FalzoFalzo Member

@myhken said:
    @Falzo yes most likely heard about 2FA and that is very safe. So activate 2FA, but do not enable the actual 2FA, just generate a key(aka password). Must be much more safer then just using a normal password :D :D

but one has to admit, it is weird that you can enable 2FA at OVH without choosing at least one method to actually use it... a simple check on the form should avoid such problems ;-)

• their phone number is 1-855-OVH-LINE

• TinkuTinku Member

I guess i got lucky got a response from them within a day!

Dear Sir / Madam,

We can deactivate double authentication on your account, but first please send my copy of your ID/passport as a proof of your identity.

Sent them the copy of my id now lets see how much time it takes.

• TinkuTinku Member

Wow second reply from Kimsufi within 30 minutes and i can access my account now without anymore issues!

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for sending your document.

Double authentication on your Kimsufi account was just deactivated and you can login to your account now.
    I also requested to remove that authentication method from your account completely and when this will be done, I let you know.

• Next time, if you activate 2FA, do actual activate 2FA (phone or app)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I have same issue today. got notice SMS notification with some code to login, but i never made that request.

anyone have same issue ?

• @dgprasetya said:
    I have same issue today. got notice SMS notification with some code to login, but i never made that request.

anyone have same issue ?

That's most likely just somebody trying to login to your account. That's the reason why you have 2FA, so nobody else can login.

• @myhken said:

@dgprasetya said:
    I have same issue today. got notice SMS notification with some code to login, but i never made that request.

anyone have same issue ?

That's most likely just somebody trying to login to your account. That's the reason why you have 2FA, so nobody else can login.

How can somebody know my password ?

• dgprasetya said: How can somebody know my password ?

How do somebody get hacked?

• WSSWSS Member

@myhken said:

dgprasetya said: How can somebody know my password ?

They need to do way instain mother>

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • @WSS said:

@myhken said:

i worried kimsufi database was leaked

• FalzoFalzo Member

@dgprasetya said:

@WSS said:

@myhken said:

i worried kimsufi database was leaked

go and change your password then, and not only on kimsufi but everywhere else you used that pw

Thanked by 1dgprasetya