Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared hosting with SSH access but WITHOUT CPanel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared hosting with SSH access but WITHOUT CPanel?

This is more of a curiosity than an actual request, but feel free to name any host matching the thread's subject.

I'm wondering how many providers out there offer shared hosting with SSH access but without CPanel. I'm used to SSH for automating my deployments and backups, and I deeply dislike CPanel for (probably) irrational reasons.

I know of only 2 hosts matching the above criteria:

• NearlyFreeSpeech.net operates a PAYG model, it can be quite cheap or very expensive depending on how you use it
  • WebFaction, a solid host I'm using for a couple of non-profits, at 10$/month for the smallest plan though

There must be other out there: any names?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Pretty much any VPS that isn't listed under "Shared Hosting"?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • If a shared hosting provider wasn't running cPanel, I'd probably think they were too cheap to buy the license

• lurchlurch Member

I setup a server a while back that just did shell based hosting that a few friends could use to host sites read mail etc. Everything done from the command line I may resurrect it one day.

• WSSWSS Member

@lurch said:
    I setup a server a while back that just did shell based hosting that a few friends could use to host sites read mail etc. Everything done from the command line I may resurrect it one day.

• Like those free/cheap shell providers? Might work well for the OP's requirement.

• lurchlurch Member

@wss Yeah I used it for test sites I was going to sell it but ended up just doing it for beer money.

@doughmanes exactly that I could set it up again but don't have a provider tag yet and probably wouldn't charge anything as would be generally unsupported etc.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • It might work and could be very popular.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I used to offer vestacp without ssh access. It could easily be added but I moved everyone over to cPanel instead.

For $8/month I could open it up again for you. :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

If you don't mind DirectAdmin and Europe as a location, shoot me a message I might have something for you.

• @quicksilver03

For static sites, NearlyFreeSpeech is absolutely amazing :)

Just, the way RAUs work is confusing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Panels aren't just there for ease of use/handholding, though. They're also there to moderate the needs of users to submit configs - in other words, they're a sort of big sudo environment.

Examples:

1. Adding MySQL databases, unless you want to go down the path of "you only get one database, use table prefixes".

2. Adding virtual hosts (so the web server knows that testiclewarpaint.com maps to /home/nekki/public_html). This also applies to parked domains, redirects, etc.

3. Email aliases and config

4. DNS, custom entries, etc.

etc. You could do these things via scripts, etc...or you could just use a panel.

• DreamHost is one of the hosting companies which offers the criteria mentioned by OP.

• cociucociu Member

WSS said: Pretty much any VPS that isn't listed under "Shared Hosting"?

true !