Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows licensing question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows licensing question

wjtwjt Member

I have a worldstream server, and i provided the server 2016 eval image. They helped me to install it, because they said the file is too big that they cannot load into cdrom and did not gave me access to the KVM.

I was supposed to have 180 day trial, but after checking with them, they didn't seem to understand my question of why it's "not activated". Then i checked under winver.exe and I saw the licensing "This product is licensed under MS to Worldstream"

Apparently, it was installed as volume license or something. I don't know what's happening either. And 2016 didn't seem to bug me about the activation and no restarts so i left it as it is. But, i still would like to know how to get an actual 180 day trial without them performing the licensing to their organization.

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The only license that is to be used in a hosting environment is the SPLA license.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you get the license price on your next invoice.

• wjtwjt Member
    edited March 2017

mikho said: get the license price on your next invoice

This statement raises even more question. Why would they bill me for the image i provided ?

Anyhow, if the provider gave me access to the KVM, i will most likely be able to bypass having to put the organization name or use a key that identifies with it in the beginning. Right?

I have servers with other providers, and as long as i have access to use my own ISO, i don't even have problem getting a 180 day trial.

So, i went back and forth with their support email, and they swear they ARE using my image that i provided. So i asked, then why does it say "not activated"? And they couldn't answer it. Of course, this doesn't fall under their support, so I didn't bother them.

• wjt said: Why would they bill me for the image i provided ?

The license is not in the image. You can use any .iso file you want, but you still need a license on top of that to get activated.

• wjtwjt Member
    edited March 2017

myhken said: The license is not in the image

But if you use the EVAL iso, then the license is attached. All its needed is to activate. I tested it a couple times on a local machine, VM, other servers. No issues activating the trial mode.

• Yea, my mistake. Maybe the issue here is that you had to have your host to do the installation, and then they used one of their licenses. But, is it a issue if they do not charge you? Just wait to see, or maybe even better, just ask the host, why they used their license, and if they are going to charge you for it. Better to cancel now, then get a huge bill later on?

• wjtwjt Member

myhken said: they used one of their licenses

Well they do not have auto billing, and i was just issued the invoice of the original pricing. So even if they do bill me, i won't be getting into trouble if i just don't pay. I don't even have a cancellation option in the panel, so if i just let it expire they can't do anything. But yeah, i'm going to ask them again and see if they actually used their license.

I honestly haven't heard of any host that bills me when i did not buy their additional service. I don't think any host have rights to bill customers for something they did not purchase either. But i'm still curious to know if anyone gets billed extra for something stupid like this.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@wjt said:

mikho said: get the license price on your next invoice

This statement raises even more question. Why would they bill me for the image i provided ?

As

@myhken said:

wjt said: Why would they bill me for the image i provided ?

The license is not in the image. You can use any .iso file you want, but you still need a license on top of that to get activated.

@wjt said:
    Anyhow, if the provider gave me access to the KVM, i will most likely be able to bypass having to put the organization name or use a key that identifies with it in the beginning. Right?

Yes.

I have servers with other providers, and as long as i have access to use my own ISO, i don't even have problem getting a 180 day trial.

So, i went back and forth with their support email, and they swear they ARE using my image that i provided. So i asked, then why does it say "not activated"? And they couldn't answer it. Of course, this doesn't fall under their support, so I didn't bother them.

Winver.exe show the windows version and the name that was entered during installation.
    it could have said "Donald Duck" or "Mr. Party pants" .... it's only a registry value.

Save this gist https://gist.github.com/mikho/b7cdfa77f40aec2f8cb264d3f36c863d in a file and import it using regedit.exe.

Change the name from "Tech Writer" to the name you want to show in winver.exe