Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

W3 Total Cache - Error after fresh installation - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

W3 Total Cache - Error after fresh installation

2»

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2017

@pcfreak30 said:

I honestly don't see, at what point your client pages supersede @Ympker's page a lot. yes the numbers are both green, but as said before for having yslow giving him a better rating he might just want to get rid of the ?ver= on the css and js - which after all won't help really much with the speed esp. not before second visit and caching kicks in...

the only pattern I gather from your list is you having your clients put their static files onto a cdn and most probably reducing image-sizes and such things...
    that's nothing outstanding which would make me call you an expert of a kind.

we all can delve into the recommendations of gtmetrix and work our way through it, but that doesn't say nothing about what really is needed or makes sense for the site and customer.

also hosting on google cloud in conjunction with any crappy plugin to upload static ressources to a cdn IMHO isn't anywhere near real wordpress optimisation, but that's just me. I know clients are sometimes d... uninterested and just screaming for green numbers...

@Ympker's page does load quite fast here, but of course that is because I am located in germany too. and I don't see any need for him to optimize for other countries at this point, seeing his audience is german to a high percentage.

most of the time needed to load his page is plain TTFB which is nothing he can optimise on a shared host by himself (other then changing the host). using a CDN wont change that either. and his whole page consists of 25 request, how many of them would be content to push there?

so go ahead selling whatever your truth is ;-)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Falzo said:

@pcfreak30 said:

I honestly don't see, at what point your client pages supersede @Ympker's page a lot. yes the numbers are both green, but as said before for having yslow giving him a better rating he might just want to get rid of the ?ver= on the css and js - which after all won't help really much with the speed esp. not before second visit and caching kicks in...

the only pattern I gather from your list is you having your clients put their static files onto a cdn and most probably reducing image-sizes and such things...
    that's nothing outstanding which would make me call you an expert of a kind.

we all can delve into the recommendations of gtmetrix and work our way through it, but that doesn't say nothing about what really is needed or makes sense for the site and customer.

also hosting on google cloud in conjunction with any crappy plugin to upload static ressources to a cdn IMHO isn't anywhere near real wordpress optimisation, but that's just me. I know clients are sometimes d... uninterested and just screaming for green numbers...

@Ympker's page does load quite fast here, but of course that is because I am located in germany too. and I don't see any need for him to optimize for other countries at this point, seeing his audience is german to a high percentage.

most of the time needed to load his page is plain TTFB which is nothing he can optimise on a shared host by himself (other then changing the host). using a CDN wont change that either. and his whole page consists of 25 request, how many of them would be content to push there?

so go ahead selling whatever your truth is ;-)

The google cloud is wpengine, and majority of the time I migrate users to a shortlist of acceptable hosts. FTTB is important and that's why I only use a few hosts. Static cache is used, minification and some other things are done. But several of the sites are under 2 seconds loading time, and 1 I had under a second before. Being an expert is knowing how to get all these things combined and working together flawlessly. For me to do that, I wrote my own plugin solutions to handle it. Anyone can use these known techniques but maximizing their use, and using the right combination for the best result is what defines an expert. His site may be fast enough, but it can use better techniques for loading and go even faster.

If you can do what I did, and have only 1 CSS and 1 JS file loading on wordpress, and not use anything I wrote, then I would love to see it :).

As for HTTP/2 content pushing, that's not really supported yet in wordpress though I have researched it.

Peace.

• FalzoFalzo Member

pcfreak30 said: and have only 1 CSS and 1 JS file loading on wordpress

which for most cases doesn't make sense because you won't be able to defer the loading of those two files, so would need to load the whole of it before having the browser being able to render above the fold content.

oh wait... for sure you have written a plugin which handles this. don't forget to again link your github repo.

see that is the whole point of the discussion here. from my point of view optimisation of a clients site and their loading times simply doesn't equal maximisation of using known techniques... but the latter seems to be what you are so eager to convince me on - whoami to argue with the expert who wrote every WP-plugin on that sort of thing ;-)

I also won't delve deeper into your codeable.io expert knowledge needing fake reviews with stock images and such... would have expected that from you before graduating high school back in 2010 then :-D :-D

• @Falzo said:

pcfreak30 said: and have only 1 CSS and 1 JS file loading on wordpress

which for most cases doesn't make sense because you won't be able to defer the loading of those two files, so would need to load the whole of it before having the browser being able to render above the fold content.

oh wait... for sure you have written a plugin which handles this. don't forget to again link your github repo.

see that is the whole point of the discussion here. from my point of view optimisation of a clients site and their loading times simply doesn't equal maximisation of using known techniques... but the latter seems to be what you are so eager to convince me on - whoami to argue with the expert who wrote every WP-plugin on that sort of thing ;-)

I also won't delve deeper into your codeable.io expert knowledge needing fake reviews with stock images and such... would have expected that from you before graduating high school back in 2010 then :-D :-D

Fake reviews? haha. Ask the staff on chat if any reviews are fake. Every one is a happy client. I have had some 4.0 reviews to be honest but that's really under 10 out of my near 160 task count and was not for any site speed work. My exact rating is a 4.95 at the time of writing.

Not sure what you mean by stock images? If you mean the certification image, every expert is given one after their trial period is over. Im not the only one with it. And my personal site I rarely update as I hate blogging/content management.

As for defer the loading of those files I can and I do for every site I work on. The techniques there are known as well, but as you said I made plugins that implemented them.

If your definition of a fast site isn't having a high speed score, and low loading time, then what is it as I am drawing a blank otherwise.

Thanks.

• FaiziFaizi Member

@pcfreak

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/positek.net/QcVH3wSX. - a 1.01MB website with 22 requests fully loaded in 14.0 seconds?

How is that fast?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Faizi said:
    @pcfreak

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/positek.net/QcVH3wSX. - a 1.01MB website with 22 requests fully loaded in 14.0 seconds?

How is that fast?

but but but... only 1 js and 1 css, see? and numbers say 100%... he is an expert he sure will get it to 110% shortly ;-)

out of fun I just pressed the retest button: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/positek.net/upGKIsni

reminds me of:

Thanked by 3Ympker Junkless WSS
  • @Falzo said:

but but but... only 1 js and 1 css, see? and numbers say 100%... he is an expert he sure will get it to 110% shortly ;-)

out of fun I just pressed the retest button: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/positek.net/upGKIsni

reminds me of:

No matter how many times I see this video, never gets old.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Also if the client disables optimizations, thats on them. I have them setup right though.

• FalzoFalzo Member

pcfreak30 said: Also if the client disables optimizations, thats on them.

seems he really doesn't like your work anymore: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/positek.net/5vzUy3iY

(we can do this all week long)

finally you admit, that the client knows better than you whats best for his site and obviously wants to go without your expertise?
    or does your optimisation simply break things and the page doesn't display as wanted with all that cool stuff turned on? (hint: quickly blame it on some non-expert plugins!)

• WSSWSS Member

@Falzo said:
    seems he really doesn't like your work anymore: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/positek.net/5vzUy3iY

That site is such horseshit. I got "A" for everything, since I handrolled my site a decade ago back when we actually still worried a bit about bandwidth. I got a "YScore" of D because I didn't set expires on 5*10k filesize inline image thumbnails. :D

Thanked by 2Falzo Ympker
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@WSS said:

That site is such horseshit.

ssshhh, don't ruin everything the experts are based on. you and me are more likely just not getting it... the score is the score is the score ^^

• WSSWSS Member

@Falzo said:

@WSS said:

That site is such horseshit.

ssshhh, don't ruin everything the experts are based on. you and me are more likely just not getting it... the score is the score is the score ^^

He's also an expert at PCI compliance and why LE certificates are just as good- but I chose not to let him derail with his prattle.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2017

WSS said: but I chose not to let him derail with his prattle.

instead you came here, and that's good choice :-)
    probably any mod should set this thread to sink already... haha

(OT: finally found out
    how to do
    normal line breaks
    in vanilla...

should have asked an expert before ;-))

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • WSSWSS Member

@Falzo said:

WSS said: but I chose not to let him derail with his prattle.

instead you came here, and that's good choice :-)
    probably any mod should that this thread to sink already... haha

(OT: finally found out
    how todo
    normal line breaks
    in vanilla...

should have asked an expert before ;-))

I never bothered to lear, myself. I waited for someone to call me out because the backticks didn't always work right.

I've never liked Markdown- it's always felt like a ripoff of Textile.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Falzo said:

pcfreak30 said: Also if the client disables optimizations, thats on them.

(we can do this all week long)

finally you admit, that the client knows better than you whats best for his site and obviously wants to go without your expertise?
    or does your optimisation simply break things and the page doesn't display as wanted with all that cool stuff turned on? (hint: quickly blame it on some non-expert plugins!)

Most likely forgot to enable back after disabling. He has some other problems. Enough trolling seriously. Do a better job than me on speed with results or shut it.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@pcfreak30 said:

>

Do a better job than me on speed with results or shut it.

Why should I? I am not here to brag about questionable speed results I pretend to have drawn out of my ass on whatever bench.
    That's the whole point, there is no need. and while you still ain't getting it, at least one of your clients seemed to have noticed that it might not be pure gold you're selling.

To close the loop: I call bullshit.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WSSWSS Member

@Falzo said:

• @Falzo said:

@pcfreak30 said:

>

Do a better job than me on speed with results or shut it.

Why should I? I am not here to brag about questionable speed results I pretend to have drawn out of my ass on whatever bench.
    That's the whole point, there is no need. and while you still ain't getting it, at least one of your clients seemed to have noticed that it might not be pure gold you're selling.

I pinged that client about the issue, thanks, and my method isn't gold but it does its job.

And im not making anything up either. Getting a lot of work for this and everyone happy.

We are getting off track here as well. The bottom line is while you have a different definition of speed it seems, my opinion still stands that @Ympker has work to do.

We agree to disagree.

Peace.