Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSL Cert points to *.vanillaforums.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSL Cert points to *.vanillaforums.com

Why does LowEndTalk.com's SSL certificate valid only for *.vanillaforums.com? Not sure how one makes that kind of mistake.

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member

Yep, it sure does. Maybe this could be fixed?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

It's probably because they didn't buy a SSL cert for this site. They're just using Vanilla Forum's wildcard ssl.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

If LET need a SSL then I can buy a ssl for LET.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

@bcrlsn said:
    It's probably because they didn't buy a SSL cert for this site. They're just using Vanilla Forum's wildcard ssl.

@DewlanceVPS said:
    If LET need a SSL then I can buy a ssl for LET.

Maybe you should buy them a dedicate IP as well, because LET is running on shared hosting, specifically on Apache + Varnish Cache.

Here -> http://whois.domaintools.com/66.216.109.251

And here:

[mickey@slot5 /]# curl -I lowendtalk.com
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    X-Varnish: 1487308714
    Vary: Accept-Encoding
    X-Cacheable: YES
    X-Cache: MISS
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
    P3P: CP="CAO PSA OUR"
    Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 06:18:45 GMT
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    X-Frame-Options: SAMEORIGIN

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

That's where I always go.

• Afaik, Vanilla charge $60 for a dedicated IP

• marcmmarcm Member

@ShardHost said:
    Afaik, Vanilla charge $60 for a dedicated IP

@ShardHost - LoL - are you serious or joking? Can't really tell since Vanilla's pricing for their hosting is out of this world.

• @marcm said:
    ShardHost - LoL - are you serious or joking? Can't really tell since Vanilla's pricing for their hosting is out of this world.

http://vanillaforums.com/discussion/1571/enable-ssl

• marcmmarcm Member

@ShardHost

There is a $60 monthly recurring charge for enabling SSL on a custom domain. This is due to extra costs we incur to set up a dedicated IP for the site.

Lol, wtf? Highway robbery would be putting it mildly.

• awsonawson Member

I can only imagine Liam will eventually move LET away from vanillaforums.com.

• marcmmarcm Member

@awson - it took me half of one afternoon to properly set this up: http://budgethostingtalk.com - It's properly configured, secured and optimized on a high end KVM VPS. Fixing LET is no different than what I did, and they have several people working so I don't understand why it is so hard. That being said, if @Liam needs my help, I am more than willing to lend a hand.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@marcm said:
    Maybe you should buy them a dedicate IP as well, because LET is running on shared hosting, specifically on Apache + Varnish Cache.

So what? It doesn't matter to me. What does matter (to me) is that the site is up and running consistently.

I also fail to understand why you would create a LowEndTalk clone, then come back here to criticize, advertise your board and promote your services.

The reality is, LowEndTalk is now owned by CC and outsourced to VanillaForums. Anyone who can't accept that reality should make a clean break and move on.

• positivessl wildcard, mmm.

• @Liam said:
    Hey Guys.

I believe the plan is to move LET back to our own infrastructure/server once all the changes have been implemented. Eta is in the next 7 days.

OK, that's great. Bad speed here from China :( . But you will lost the reaction plugin and the thanks button. And check the compatibility,too.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited May 2013

@Liam said:
    It's should all be coming with us.

Will @Minion be adopted too? He/She/It seems funny.

• twaintwain Member

How about just let let do their thing and stop posting pointless threads like this. if you all know everything, then you could have easily surmised why they used a *.vanillaforums.com cert for the time being..

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2013

@ShardHost said: Afaik, Vanilla charge $60 for a dedicated IP.

I wonder how much longer it will be until $60 for an IPv4 address seems like a bargain? 3 years? 5 years?

• marcmmarcm Member

@Liam said:
    Hey Guys.

I believe the plan is to move LET back to our own infrastructure/server once all the changes have been implemented. Eta is in the next 7 days.

@Liam - When you move away from Vanillaforums.com paid hosting you will run into a bunch of issues. Their version of Vanilla Forums is customized and only available on their platform for their customers. Ask them if you don't believe me. What I don't understand is why it is so hard to set up a server with MySQL, PHP and Nginx and run this thing. That being said, ask for help if you need it.

@sleddog said:
    So what? It doesn't matter to me. What does matter (to me) is that the site is up and running consistently.

I also fail to understand why you would create a LowEndTalk clone, then come back here to criticize, advertise your board and promote your services.

The reality is, LowEndTalk is now owned by CC and outsourced to VanillaForums. Anyone who can't accept that reality should make a clean break and move on.

You need to chill before you blow a gasket. Surprisingly I don't have a problem with ColoCrossing owning LowEndTalk and LowEndBox. The person that is to blame for all this is "Chief" and childish and irresponsible attitude towards this community. I think that ColoCrossing should use their resources and modernize this forum. Vanilla is not meant for large communities, it comes buggy out of the box and even if you pay Vanillaforums.com for services they will still provide you with buggy software. I mean line breaks don't work here properly anymore. BHT is hardly a clone, unless you own the color green. It functions rather differently than this place and is set up so that community members can moderate it, vote, take down content they don't like and support the content that they want to visible. It's a pretty simple idea really: for the community, by the community.

• sleddogsleddog Member

@marcm said:
    You need to chill before you blow a gasket.

Oh don't be silly marcm. I've no need to "chill" as I'm not angry in the slightest. Maybe you need to turn down your sensitivity a few notches ;)