Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange IP Requests
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange IP Requests

Have any of you providers been getting odd requests for IPs? Something like...
To whoever is making these requests: No, we at BlueVM cannot do this, and I doubt any other providers can do this either. Also, opening 3 tickets for this is not needed.

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Maybe just hiding his request for lots of spam IPs with unusual requests?

• zfedorazfedora Member

It's for "Runescape".

TL;DW:

If your third octet is divisible by 8 and your fourth octet is < ~20, you will get to attack your opponent first or pick up the loot/gold/etc first.

Pretty stupid.

• Wow. Just... WOW. dies laughing

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

192.40.56.x I have a perfect 8 divisible IP, but that's just retarded they went off of IP for a calculation. RNG is more efficient.

• Looks like it. Seriously though. RUNESCAPE? Who plays Runescape these days?

• charge him 2k for this request

• awsonawson Member

@Magiobiwan said:
    Looks like it. Seriously though. RUNESCAPE? Who plays Runescape these days?

a few hundred million

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@awson said:
    a few hundred million

We had to ban game clients from our VPSes. The botters found OVerZold and were running tens of bots out of them doing load as high as 120.
    Apparently selling gold there is good business, they were reselling our services 3 times as high.
    And, yes, we got the same request...
    Compared to this guy I am perfectly sane.

• exussumexussum Member

afaik it was an old thing to do. now they don't do it

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@exussum said:
    afaik it was an old thing to do. now they don't do it

If you mean botting for gold, we still have some right now.
    I am not sure it is that old.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013

Heh. Seen that request, I still don't get why Runescape needs that.. Apparently he contacted a VPN provider who directed him to LEB so yeah.

Never played runescape tho...

• Yeah we also get these requests, they say its for SEO, some say its for runescape..

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited May 2013

@Infinity said:
    Heh. Seen that request, I still don't get why Runescape needs that.. Apparently he contacted a VPN provider who directed him to LEB so yeah.

Never played runescape tho...

I haven't played Runescape for a very long time, but if I'm not mistaken it gives advantage in the Duel arena, where you can challenge other players and stake Runescape's virtual currency (RSGP) or items, the player who has the lowest number in the xxx.xxx.xxx.[number] Gets the lowest PID (Player ID) and does the first hit.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    To whoever is making these requests: No, we at BlueVM cannot do this, and I doubt any other providers can do this either. Also, opening 3 tickets for this is not needed.

But thread is needed? :) Anyway it's just legit business request. If host can't fulfil it fine, but I don't see a reason to be upset about as long it's not abuse related attempt. Clients have different needs... and for you it should be just business.

@Makenai thank you for explanation. I was curious too.
    People are prepared to do for hobbies all possible. Often with great passion, money and time invested. That's what we do...
    And from this point of view seems reasonable request. If you can (or want) fulfil it or not that's the different story.

I agree with Spirit, if people want to do it, it's their right, and there is no harm in asking although I thought it was an odd request obviously I don't have the same interest as them.

• exussumexussum Member

@Maounique said:
    I am not sure it is that old.

no I mean the pid being based on ip address. its more random these days.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2013

@Magiobiwan Tell him to go fsck himself. I believe IP fetishes are not that healthy.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Janevski said:
    Magiobiwan Tell him to go fsck himself. I believe IP fetishes are not that healthy.

All that just for asking if a specific IP address is possible? Really?

• @perennate said:
    All that just for asking if a specific IP address is possible? Really?

Yes.

• Technically it is, but not with a normal /24 block. The provider would have to have a /23 or larger as one contiguous network block for that to work.

edited May 2013

fsck yourself @Magiobiwan

• How rude. Go rm -rf --no-preserve-root / yourself!

edited May 2013

@Janevski said:
    Yes.

There's no indication that this is the problem though; I don't see how this would resolve his issue. apt-get install brain is more likely to help anyway...

• @perennate That'd be too easy. He'd have to download and compile it from source.

@Magiobiwan said:
    perennate That'd be too easy. He'd have to download and compile it from source.

IMO you'd need at least half a brain to do that.

• bigballbigball Member

Fuck yeah, This is why I love LET, people was arguing with their command prompt, and I as a normal people still giggling, no need to worry, just passing by, go on.

• bigballbigball Member

@Zen said:
    You are on LET, you are not a normal people!

OMG, OMG OMG.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2013

@perennate said:
    There's no indication that this is the problem though; I don't see how this would resolve his issue. apt-get install brain is more likely to help anyway...

Obviously fsck ain't gonna do it for You, if You have the testicular fortitude while root You should then try rm -r -f / if that doesn't help try dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda and give it another go.

Now back on topic, odd, unjustified requests, regarding anything, might pose potential hazard for the VPS provider, that's why it's my strong opinion, that by a rule of thumb, such requests should be avoided, or if possible investigated thoroughly before approving. The VPS business, especially when smaller is quite fragile and one must be very careful when making all the decisions, and try not to destabilize the slow and steady growing system.