Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stick with Cloudflare or move to DNSMadeEasy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stick with Cloudflare or move to DNSMadeEasy?

ben1390ben1390 Member
edited March 2017 in General

I'm currently using Cloudflare free DNS only but have heard good things about DNSMadeEasy and wonder if it is worth the money?

Cloudflare or DNSMadeEasy?
  1. Cloudflare or DNSMadeEasy?80 votes
    1. Cloudflare
      67.50%
    2. DNSMadeEasy
      32.50%

Comments

• For now stick with the free cloudflare

• Cloudflare has like 30 DC's in Europe while DNSMadeEasy has 3. No thank you.

• sonicsonic Veteran

Why moving when you are happy with free plan at Cloudflare, dont you?

Thanked by 1mrmoor
  • I would stick with CloudFlare, I use it but deactivate the CloudFlare services so my sites aren't routed through the network.

• Yes I am happy with Cloudflare however I have read that DNSMadeEasy is faster than Cloudflare (http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/) and that there is no SLA with Cloudflare unless you have a business or enterprise plan whereas there is with DNSMadeEasy and wonder if these things make DNSMadeEasy worth the money.

• sonicsonic Veteran

@ben1390 said:
    Yes I am happy with Cloudflare

That's all.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Been using CloudFlare for various applications over the years, definitely stick with them!

• @Wicked said:
    Cloudflare has like 30 DC's in Europe while DNSMadeEasy has 3. No thank you.

I have used DNSMadeEasy for 7-8 years now and all my sites and servers are in Europe and I have never had any issues with them. So don't see your point.

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2017

Cloudflare is #1 in DNS speed for worldwide according to dnsperf.com for this month.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • @Wicked said:
    Cloudflare has like 30 DC's in Europe while DNSMadeEasy has 3. No thank you.

I would like to ask you @Wicked, just 3 questions.
    1) How many servers you have with you site/blog in Europe ? More than 3 ?
    2) Which is avg. time of your site generate ?
    3) Where is hosted?

• jhjh Member

DNSMadeEasy are great but why do you want to move?

• ArchArch Member

If Cloudflare goes down, there'll be worldwide coverage and dozens of news articles on it.

If the other goes down, they might be lucky to get a thread on the provider outage forum.

Which would you want maintaining a critical part of your infrastructure?

• WSSWSS Member

@liamcyruslol said:
    If Cloudflare goes down, there'll be worldwide coverage and dozens of news articles on it.

If the other goes down, they might be lucky to get a thread on the provider outage forum.

You mean the company who bases software on an inability to handle pointers? The fact that they leaked private information and it was acknowledged, but quickly swept under the rug as "mostly harmless"?

I'll take the latter.

• ArchArch Member

@WSS said:

@liamcyruslol said:

You mean the company who bases software on an inability to handle pointers? The fact that they leaked private information and it was acknowledged, but quickly swept under the rug as "mostly harmless"?

I'll take the latter.

Less than three hours ago Cloudflare's CEO tweeted a link to a blog post where they concede it was an "extremely serious bug" with a "potentially massive impact". I don't think that qualifies as sweeping under the rug.

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

@sin said:
    Cloudflare is #1 in DNS speed for worldwide according to dnsperf.com for this month.

For N.America & Europe, DNSMadeEasy is better it seems; CF gets a better overall score due to other regions.

EDIT: http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/2017/02

Pavin.

• ben1390 said: I'm currently using Cloudflare free DNS only but have heard good things about DNSMadeEasy and wonder if it is worth the money?

Your poll needs a third option:

Neither - self-hosted.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

Ok, perhaps sweeping it under the rug was a bit of hyperbole. However, even in their own statements regarding how it happened, and how they handled it, they essentially said "Google removed their caches", speaking nothing of Bing, or any other scrapers or sites which may have personal information cached.

See also: https://blog.cloudflare.com/incident-report-on-memory-leak-caused-by-cloudflare-parser-bug/?utm_content=buffere476a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We are very grateful to our colleagues at Google for contacting us about the problem and working closely with us through its resolution. All of which occurred without any reports that outside parties had identified the issue or exploited it.

How do you read that? I read it as "Google found it and told us and nobody else likely did." Do I trust them? Hell no.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • ArchArch Member

@WSS said:
    Ok, perhaps sweeping it under the rug was a bit of hyperbole. However, even in their own statements regarding how it happened, and how they handled it, they essentially said "Google removed their caches", speaking nothing of Bing, or any other scrapers or sites which may have personal information cached.

See also: https://blog.cloudflare.com/incident-report-on-memory-leak-caused-by-cloudflare-parser-bug/?utm_content=buffere476a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We are very grateful to our colleagues at Google for contacting us about the problem and working closely with us through its resolution. All of which occurred without any reports that outside parties had identified the issue or exploited it.

How do you read that? I read it as "Google found it and told us and nobody else likely did." Do I trust them? Hell no.

I mean, I think the most damning evidence about how Cloudflare reacted poorly when dealing with this situation isn't from their own blog posts, but from Tavis's thread: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

It outlines pretty clearly how poor they dealt with it. That said, I think once they started getting the negative PR they did a 180 on their approach and starting becoming more transparent about it. Does that excuse the issue in the first place? No, but I don't think that absolutely kills their credibility as a provider.

Things like this aren't happening 24/7, which is why I'd continue to recommend Cloudflare. Just like with the AWS outage, I'm sure they've learned from their mistakes and are taking steps to prevent it. Now, if Cloudflare was found to have a habit of routinely leaking secure data then that wouldn't be okay - but for the size of their infrastructure I think they're doing the best they can.

• WSSWSS Member

@liamcyruslol said:
    Things like this aren't happening 24/7, which is why I'd continue to recommend Cloudflare. Just like with the AWS outage, I'm sure they've learned from their mistakes and are taking steps to prevent it. Now, if Cloudflare was found to have a habit of routinely leaking secure data then that wouldn't be okay - but for the size of their infrastructure I think they're doing the best they can.

The fact that it was a trivial buffer overflow that nobody has seen in several years does not give me reason to trust their abilities any more than their product, itself.

My favorite part about S3 was that they couldn't update their notice about issues because S3 was down.

Thanked by 1Arch
  • miaumiau Member
    edited March 2017

@ben1390 said:
    Yes I am happy with Cloudflare however I have read that DNSMadeEasy is faster than Cloudflare (http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/).

Actually I dont understand.
    For authoritative dns is ms difference even matter?

Because at the end the end users will almost always use either google or their isp's nameserver right?

I mean as long your records is there, and doesnt take hours for your domain to talk to dns then its totally fine isn't it?
    Its not like your server IP changing every 100ms.

Thanked by 2angstrom marrco
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@sin dnsperf results are frozen for couple last months

Thanked by 1sin
  • Let's get back to the topic - the bug in CloudFlare did not affect DNS-only websites. Only those using it for web acceleration and DDoS protection.

If you are using it just for DNS, without the orange cloud in the dashboard, no data was stolen/leaked/given to fairies.

I'll +1 cloudflare

• I think cloudflare is the best FREE option out there.....

• Hurricane Electric offers also great free DNS hosting!

Thanked by 1WSS
  • How is HE compared to CF? I know they both offer anycast, but CF has nice dashboard and pretty fast DNS propagation

• tmwctmwc Member

HE has a bunch of DCs.

Aside, there's many people with HE and they're happy, so take the risk and try it. Unless you wanna stick with CF, which is fine, you're happy with it and you should stay there if you are.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • bapbap Member

Cloudflare free plan is more than enough for me. Guess what the reason I'll stick with cloudflare........ Its free! Hahaha...