Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner E3-1245v2 2x3TB vs E3-1270v3 2x4TB - €0.84 more - should I change?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner E3-1245v2 2x3TB vs E3-1270v3 2x4TB - €0.84 more - should I change?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited February 2017 in General

Today I have a Hetzner E3-1245v2 server with 32GB ECC RAM and 2 x 3 TB HDD's.
I got a new server today with the following specs: E3-1270v3 with 32 GB ECC RAM and 2 x 4 TB HDDs.

The old server have two Seagate ST33000650NS Constellation ES.2 disks with around 33.000 hours on them. I have used 17.500 hours of that since I have had the server for two years now.

The new server have one WD RE 4TB Enterprise Hard Drive with 12.000 hours on it, and one HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 with 22.000 hours on it.

The old server is using a Intel 82574L NIC and the new one are using a Intel I210 NIC.

The new server cost €0.84/mo extra. Should I just move all my data from the old server to the new one right away? Any downsize going from the old to the new server?
Just to be clear, the old server has worked without any issue the last two years. But the new server has less use on it.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2017

A better CPU and +2 TB space overall for less than 1 EUR extra? It's a no-brainer to choose the new one.

And don't concern yourself with HDD runtimes on a rented server, just keep your backups, they are replacing the HDD at no cost to you the moment any problem occurs anyway.

• So what is the question here ? Why do you even ask ?

• Junkless said: Why do you even ask ?

The HDD mix, two different types and runtime. And the fact going from a server that have worked 100% two years, to a new server never used. But I can see where you are going...it's a no-brainer.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Well...normally it's a no-brainer...but one of the points that might prevent you from moving to the new server is that E3-1245v2 cones with an integrated graphic card while E3-1270v3 does not. If that's not important for you, definitely take the move.

• dedipromo said: If that's not important for you, definitely take the move.

Can't see that it's important for me. Just use the server for some VM's (Win and Linux) and to store backup files on.

• Looking at Hetzner auction right now, the 1270v3 is 46 euro with DE VAT while you can get a 1245v2+2x3tb for 36 euro with VAT. So you could alternatively get the cheaper 1245 and let go of your old one and pay a little less.

Yes I'm slightly suspicious of the mismatched drives but whatever. Check the SMART stats and run a self-test, and if no prob, then deal with it if it happens.

If it were me I'd consider the lower cost 1245v2, instead of paying 10 more euro for a few extra passmark and 1TB of extra (raid) disk space. I could go either way though.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited February 2017

@willie I pay €37.82 for my old server, and I got the new one for €38.66. I do not pay VAT. So it's actually just €0.84/mo extra

Edit: Yes I can see one 1245v2 with 2x3TB for €31.93, so I could save some money yes.

• @myhken said:
    @willie I pay €37.82 for my old server, and I got the new one for €38.66. I do not pay VAT. So it's actually just €0.84/mo extra

Did you get lucky monitoring auction page or some magic involved?

/i don't know if it's normal hetzner pricing/

• @Yura they have at least one more for the same price:
    https://robot.your-server.de/order/market#646195

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Yura said:

Did you get lucky monitoring auction page or some magic involved?

It depends on what country's page you look at. The DE page I look at is:

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/DE?hdsize=3000

If you change DE to US it shows the non-VAT price. I mostly just follow for comparison and trends so I look at the VAT page which has rounder numbers. Also when I got my server they only showed with VAT, so I remember that my server (i7-3770, 32gb, 2x3tb) is 34 euro even though I'm actually charged 28.57.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

How is that even a question? Do it! Do it now you fool!

Thanked by 1myhken
  • LOL, I have to admit that when I created the thread I was sure the disks in the new server had allot more hours on them, more then the first server. But when I did do the math, I did discover that I had looked at the wrong numbers. :D
    I have now started to transfer all my data from the old server. Will take some time. A few TB of files ;)

• On new server you have 1TB more, if you using raid, or 2TB if not. So, €0.84 for 1TB - incredible cheap.

• @mrmoor not using RAID, but using Windows Server, and since my system disk only can be MBR, I'm loosing 1.7TB. But I did loose 700+GB on the old one also, so yes, I got 1 TB more on the second disk, for just €0.84

• @myhken Did you bought this server at Hetzner auction ? I had hdd failure on one busy server from auction, so without raid (or backup) you'll lost data/system. Take care.

• mrmoor said: Did you bought this server at Hetzner auction

Yes.

And I have really good backup routines. Actually this server is one of two backup servers I have. So everything on the server is just backup from other servers.
    And the few VMs I have, is also backup for other servers.

• @myhken So, you can sleep peacefully :)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @myhken said:
    @mrmoor not using RAID, but using Windows Server, and since my system disk only can be MBR, I'm loosing 1.7TB. But I did loose 700+GB on the old one also, so yes, I got 1 TB more on the second disk, for just €0.84

Order a LARA, set up windows as UEFI boot with GPT partition tables yourself.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • vishvish Member

@teamacc said:

@myhken said:
    @mrmoor not using RAID, but using Windows Server, and since my system disk only can be MBR, I'm loosing 1.7TB. But I did loose 700+GB on the old one also, so yes, I got 1 TB more on the second disk, for just €0.84

Order a LARA, set up windows as UEFI boot with GPT partition tables yourself.

That or use the bios fake-raid to make one smaller partition and one larger partition and then install windows to the smaller partition.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Much simpler (and free) is avoid Windows like pestilence ;)

• I like my main servers to have Windows and Hyper-V, I'm not so good at Linux stuff. Using Linux for my webservers, owncloud etc.

• @myhken Nobody know Linux after born. Same as Windows :D But it's worth to learn. Especially when you planning to have more servers in future.

• WSSWSS Member

You can possibly also do your own install under QEMU w/ EFI, but it's going to suck after you get it up under QEMU- make sure you install the drivers you need for the actual hardware before rebooting.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Good to know that I have several options if I really need the missing 1.8TB on my system disk.

• WSSWSS Member

You could easily adapt this script:

https://gist.github.com/Manouchehri/2b1b523eed834f295915

just change to -drive file=/dev/sda for the install, add drivers for the NIC and so forth (make sure you have them before rebooting or you'll have no choice but to reinstall). You can easily apt-get install qemu and the ovmh support from a rescue64 instance.

Thanked by 1myhken