Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Under 2Eur/mo Frankfurt located VPSes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Under 2Eur/mo Frankfurt located VPSes?

Hello,
I'm looking to get a cheap VPS located in Frankfurt. Doesn't matter if it's OVZ or KVM, I just need a machine in that location. I'm trying to get the lowest ping possible to use it as a vpn.
Any suggestions? I tried Arubacloud, recently their routing got shafted and from 26ms latency I started getting 46 constant ms. That's a no-go for my taste.

Comments

• niknik Member, Host Rep
  • Check virtono.com (%35 recurring discount code: LET35LIFE)

Check myvirtualserver.com

Check noez.de

• @HungryVM said:
    We have a Promo for our Germany Location "Falkenstein" -

you are aware that Hetzners location in Falkenstein is about 350km away from Frankfurt? latency between those should be around 5ms at least...

(it's Falkenstein/Vogtland not the Falkenstein (part of Königstein) near FFM)

Thanked by 1HungryVM
  • ucxoucxo Member
    edited February 2017

signaltransmitter.de has both OpenVZ and KVM plans starting at 1.50 € per month.

They don't deliver the 5 Gbit/s they promise, but I'm getting a consistent 1.2 Gbit/s.
    Also the disk IO on their KVM was pretty awful last time I tested it (around 38 MB/s), but that shouldn't matter too much for a VPN.

Edit: Just measured it again, still the same. The CPU (Xeon L5640) is also the slowest among all servers I currently have…

• Mostly depends on your ISP. Deutsche Telekom is notorious for NOT wanting to peer with anyone unless they get paid. You could check out hetzner with double paid traffic (https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Double_Paid_Traffic/en ), but it'll most likely be outside your budget.

• https://signaltransmitter.de/

KVM and OpenVZ starting at 1,50€ per month.

• @Multi said:
    https://signaltransmitter.de/

Read first, then comment. ;)

• @ucxo said:
    signaltransmitter.de has both OpenVZ and KVM plans starting at 1.50 € per month.

They don't deliver the 5 Gbit/s they promise, but I'm getting a consistent 1.2 Gbit/s.
    Also the disk IO on their KVM was pretty awful last time I tested it (around 38 MB/s), but that shouldn't matter too much for a VPN.

Edit: Just measured it again, still the same. The CPU (Xeon L5640) is also the slowest among all servers I currently have…

Does signaltransmitter lock you in a contract term or you can pay month by month?

• @ucxo said:

@Multi said:
    https://signaltransmitter.de/

Read first, then comment. ;)

Ohh, so I can recommend them aswell ;)

• @Spliddo said:
    Does signaltransmitter lock you in a contract term or you can pay month by month?

Month by month. In fact, there isn't a way to automatically renew the servers — you have to manually renew them (though you can do so for an arbitrary number of months in advance).

• @Falzo said:

@HungryVM said:
    We have a Promo for our Germany Location "Falkenstein" -

you are aware that Hetzners location in Falkenstein is about 350km away from Frankfurt? latency between those should be around 5ms at least...

(it's Falkenstein/Vogtland not the Falkenstein (part of Königstein) near FFM)

The latency isn't an issue between german servers. For some reason, in falkenstein, I get more ping (40) than Frankfurt. I'm located closer to Falkenstein, hover. Routing ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Thanked by 1HungryVM
  • http://noez.de has 0.80€ vpses

• @Falzo

Come on, that's nitpicking. For one I doubt the 350 km and then there is also a "europe IX" with FRA, Nuremberg, AMS, and some others dark-fiber interconnected and hey, those intra-german distances are flee-farts, that next to nothing.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

You might have a look at UltraVPS.
    Their regular KVM VPS start at 2 EUR/month (incl. German VAT).
    Their own DC is in Dusseldorf with quite good network connectivity. Depending on your actual destination you might see better results than with some providers in Frankfurt. You can use their Looking Glass to test connectivity.

There is also @AshleyUk providing services out of TeleHouse Frankfurt with good connectivity (Looking Glass). You can ask for a custom plan. But even with yearly payments it will probably end up towards 3 EUR/month, but it could really be worth spending that additional 1 EUR/month in order to get a proper VPS with constant good quality and connectivity.

I do have 3 VPS with both of them, and both provide solid reliable quality for more than a year.

Thanked by 2AshleyUk UltraVPS
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@bsdguy said:
    @Falzo

Come on, that's nitpicking. For one I doubt the 350 km and then there is also a "europe IX" with FRA, Nuremberg, AMS, and some others dark-fiber interconnected and hey, those intra-german distances are flee-farts, that next to nothing.

hrhr, more nitpicking:

google maps

of course the routes of fiber might differ from the streets but after all it will be around that distance.

and yes you are right it's all connected with the former 'dark-fiber', even hetzner states this in their wiki page:

The bandwidth of the connections between Nuremberg-Frankfurt, Nuremberg-Falkenstein and Falkenstein-Frankfurt are at least 120 Gbit/s. Through the Frankfurt location data is transported to the peering partners at DE-CIX and also to the uplinks Noris, GLBX, Aixit, AMS-IX, Init7 and Level3. At the Nuremberg location there are connections to Noris, KPN, Init7, Level3 and N-IX.

but it doesn't change the fact, that it adds around 5ms of latency (look at the difference between core1 in FFM and core23/rz19 in Falkenstein)

6    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  ae10-2021.fra20.core-backbone.com [80.255.14.6] 
      7    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  core-backbone-100g-fra.hetzner.de [80.255.15.122] 
      8    23 ms    23 ms    23 ms  core1.hetzner.de [213.239.245.9] 
      9    27 ms    28 ms    28 ms  core23.hetzner.de [213.239.203.154] 
     10    28 ms    28 ms    28 ms  ***.rz19.hetzner.de [213.239.***.**] 

I agree it might depend on the location of OP, but if his usual routing to Falkenstein first takes him to FFM anyways this would add 10ms to his latency overall for the way there and back again.

for @dfroe's suggestion of @UltraVPS I would have recommend them too, but as far as I have seen all of the routing to their DUS location runs through AMX so you most probably would see your route go to AMX then DUS (VPN) and then back to AMX and from there finally to FFM ... only the latter part is about 11ms on top.

don't get me wrong @UltraVPS offers really good services at a very valuable pricing point, I just doubt it is the right thing for what is requested.

if you want to have a VPN near a server located in FFM without additional latency simply go with a provider offering out of FFM. as already mentioned @AshleyUK provides excellent services there and probably some others too ;-)

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited March 2017

Feel free to check out our looking glass @ http://bandwidth.zxhost.co.uk

We are :
    0.327 ms from ECIX & DE-CIX
    0.471 ms from google

Peer with all the major EU IX's and local German ISP's.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:
    for @dfroe's suggestion of @UltraVPS I would have recommend them too, but as far as I have seen all of the routing to their DUS location runs through AMX so you most probably would see your route go to AMX then DUS (VPN) and then back to AMX and from there finally to FFM ... only the latter part is about 11ms on top.

You might be right. They do have peering point at AMS-IX and ECIX (DUS), but it indeed looks like all destinations I tried now are actually being routed via AMS, even the DTAG peering. I just reviewed their website and they mention all upstreams being 10 Gbps, having 10 Gbps at AMS-IX and 1 Gbps at ECIX. So ECIX might only be used as a backup.

RTT from UltraVPS to FRA seems to be around 10 ms in all cases, so it's not appropriate in this case.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

are actually being routed via AMS, even the DTAG peering.

That's strange, since we peer with DTAG in Düsseldorf only.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@UltraVPS said:

But true, I am around 200km northeast from DUS and with DTAG at home... routing goes down to FFM from here, up to AMS and back to DUS. Not complaining as latency or a few ms from within germany are really not an issue for me ;) just to confirm... if you are interested in MTRs let me know.

• UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

Falzo said: if you are interested in MTRs let me know.

That would be great. Thank you!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Well, OK, then let's nitpick ... *g

OP wants a VPS (and not a dedi) and to make it worse openvz is OK, too, for him. Does that sound like "that's gonna be one speed deamon of a vpn!"?

Moreover: VPN. In other words: the user might come from who knows where and the target might be who knows where, too. So what's the meaning of a low ping to the box?

I'm certainly no hetzner fan boy but hitting on some ms for the distance Fra/Fst doesn't make much sense in that context (nor does the request of OP).

Moreover those lower to mid single digit differences make no sense because the routing map may - and does - change, even frequently.

As for the vpn itself some advice to OP: You don't care about 5ms ping diff to the box. What you want to care about is a) fat backend pipes and b) a huge pot of fat peerings. Or in other words: You don't care about the 5 ms but about the 60 - 100 ms time to paint within europe.

That said, the real issue isn't time to paint anyway; that's just a ... oh well, whatsoever.

If I were wrong OPs request would look quite different and one would see that he did his homework (which he didn't). Hint: The information needed for OP isn't at LET, it's behind (not at but behind) bgp.he.net and the like.

• Vultr/KVM, $2.5/mo

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Falzo said:

@UltraVPS said:

just to follow up on that one again, I just run a traceroute this morning to see that indeed my dsl connection via DTAG goes directly to düsseldorf:

2    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  87.186.224.80 
      3    17 ms    17 ms    17 ms  87.186.206.202 
      4    24 ms    23 ms    24 ms  d-ed5-i.D.DE.NET.DTAG.DE [62.154.5.213] 
      5    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  87.128.235.82 
      6     *        *        *     Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
      7    24 ms    24 ms    24 ms  130.255.x.x

so my guess would be it depends on the load within DTAG to have your routing run different ways on different times. it's around 8 a.m. here so after all not so surprising to see something different then yesterday in the evening. will check later for sure.

@UltraVPS send you a PM ;-)