Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should RamNode upgrade their plans?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should RamNode upgrade their plans?

gappergapper Member
edited February 2017 in Providers

On July 2014 they upgraded their plans and changed the pricing structure: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/announcements.php?id=368

Do you think that it's time for them to a new upgrade? For example BuyVM offers 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD and unmetered bandwidth for $3.5 (KVM) while RamNode offers 1GB, 20GB SSD and 2TB bandwidth for $10 (KVM).

Another example: Linode offers 1GB/20GB SSD/1TB for $5.

Clearly RamNode plans are a bit overpriced for the low end market in terms of todays pricing of competitors.

What do you think? @Nick_A

Thanked by 1Abdussamad

Comments

• gapper said: Clearly RamNode plans are a bit overpriced for the low end market in terms of todays pricing of competitors.

Notice how RamNode never advertise on LET/LEB?

Yup, that's because they're done with the low end market. They've no interest in this market anymore, so they're not going to bother being competitive against LE hosts.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited February 2017

gapper said: BuyVM offers 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD and unmetered bandwidth for $3.5 (KVM)

"Unmetered" ? :) Are you sure ?
    KVM are from 500 GB to 5TB bandwidth and "slice" are from 1 TB to 10TB.

Do you work for them ?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@johnnymatt said:

gapper said: BuyVM offers 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD and unmetered bandwidth for $3.5 (KVM)

"Unmetered" ? :) Are you sure ?
    KVM are from 500 GB to 5TB bandwidth and "slice" are from 1 TB to 10TB

Is this a BuyVM sponsorhip post ?

The slices plans are unmetered now, I just haven't finished updating the site.

Thanks for the interest,

Francisco

• @Francisco said that BW for KVM slices is unmetered now.

• Ahh ok. I was saying that because ive seen on this forum a few times people posting "affiliate links" and this sort of things sometimes (and ofc to get banned). For me it was a "ring bell" your statement and to see on their site something completely different.
    Thanks for explanation :)

• You're welcome.

• @gapper said:
    Clearly RamNode plans are a bit overpriced for the low end market in terms of todays pricing of competitors.

What do you think? @Nick_A

I don't think they're interested in the race to the bottom. Presumably, Nick doesn't live in his parent's basement and has bills to pay.

Thanked by 3Hxxx doughmanes Nick_A
  • And I hope they don't. Prices keep abusers and kiddis away.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Hxxx said:
    And I hope they don't. Prices keep abusers and kiddis away.

And a good thing too, last thing you want is kiddies and abusers in the same place.

• At the low end Ramnode is still fine. I have several 128MB plans with them and they are very solid. If you compare a Ramnode OpenVZ plan to a comparably priced Linode plan (which is KVM) then Ramnode comes out better, especially in disk/SSD space. Ramnode's KVMs are more expensive and I haven't used them but I'd expect they are more conservatively provisioned. No idea how Linode compares.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

gapper said: Clearly RamNode plans are a bit overpriced for the low end market in terms of todays pricing of competitors.

gapper said: For example BuyVM offers 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD and unmetered bandwidth for $3.5 (KVM) while RamNode offers 1GB, 20GB SSD and 2TB bandwidth for $10 (KVM).

Dude, your comparison is comically, completely ridiculous.

You're comparing a Slice which is a dedicated CPU offer with 1/4 core versus Ramnode which is 2 fair-share cores. You really think performance will be the same?

Or perhaps since you only look at web page specs, maybe you should be comparing the SSD-cached which are 4 cores, 90GB space, 3TB...that is $10/mo at Ramnode. What's the BuyVM non-slice equivalent for 1024MB? 100GB storage, 5TB month at...$20/month. BTW, the BuyVM drives may be SSD-cached but it doesn't say that on the web, as Ramnode does.

BTW which provider has more config options? Which one is in more DCs?

Turns out there are pros and cons. Mind blown.

I love both BuyVM and Ramnode, and am/have been a customer of each. I'm not criticizing either. Instead, I'm criticizing this thread's premise.

• gappergapper Member
    edited February 2017

You're comparing a Slice which is a dedicated CPU offer with 1/4 core versus Ramnode which is 2 fair-share cores. You really think performance will be the same?

I'm not sure (and I'm not trolling). Which one is better? I guess the slice because it comes with dedicated CPU (even if it is 1/4).

Could you please explain a bit more this? Thanks.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

raindog308 said: What's the BuyVM non-slice equivalent for 1024MB?

There is none. Those plans are discontinued. BuyVM was one of the first VPS hosts with SSD caching, fwiw, so I expect their existing HDD plans are SSD cached.

• @raindog308 said:

gapper said: Clearly RamNode plans are a bit overpriced for the low end market in terms of todays pricing of competitors.

gapper said: For example BuyVM offers 1GB RAM, 20GB SSD and unmetered bandwidth for $3.5 (KVM) while RamNode offers 1GB, 20GB SSD and 2TB bandwidth for $10 (KVM).

Dude, your comparison is comically, completely ridiculous.

Plausible with Hudson..

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I believe the BuyVM slices are pure SSD I believe.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

gapper said:

I'm not sure (and I'm not trolling). Which one is better? I guess the slice because it comes with dedicated CPU (even if it is 1/4).

2 fair-share cores with enough host node headroom that you can actually burst to using both of them at 100% seems preferable to 1/4 core 24/7. In reality BuyVM's nodes aren't too cpu-loaded, so you can burst from the 1/4 core, but that's not guaranteed. Ramnode OTOH doesn't guarantee you anything at all, but there's observably decent cpu on their boxes.

The issue is that Ramnode might throttle you to (say) 1/10th of a core instead of 1/4 if you burn too much cpu for too long. But if you're doing that, you probably have the wrong product to start with. While with BuyVM, your being able to get good cpu at all relies on other VM's on the host choosing not to use their full allocation.

Ramnode and BuyVM both know what they're doing and I expect both have accurate predictions of what user VM's will do over time. And if there's enough usage to cause interference, they can always intervene somehow, such as by moving containers around between nodes to give the light users some headroom while letting the heavy users fight it out among themselves ;).

Thanked by 2gapper vimalware
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2017

gapper said: What do you think?

Stop posting on LET.

You're the bottom feeder who chases the lowest plan, requests downtime credits on 10 minutes of downtime, and eventually will get scammed if not scammed on a regular basis.

• I don't like you.

• From one cheapass to another- Stop trying to goad a provider into giving you cheaper/free shit. Even if they did, you'd still never be happy. Just pay for it and decide if it's good enough, or move your cheap ass to a different provider.

• The increase in slice/dedicated resources is due to the cheapos ruining nodes. You'll never know until you're on the other side and realize the error of your ways.

gapper said: I don't like you.

Awesome.

• gappergapper Member
    edited March 2017

And you all said that I was talking sh*t: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/announcements.php?id=415

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited March 2017

@gapper said:
    And you all said that I was talking sh*t: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/announcements.php?id=415

No, we all just thought you were a cu*t, which hasn't changed.

• I hardly think it was from you kicking tires

Thanked by 2Nick_A JahAGR
  • Well that sucks my plans are the CVZ ones that are now retired and don't get a double ram upgrade. I was thinking about canceling them, guess now I will for sure.

• HxxxHxxx Member

the VDS tho, hot hot