Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox V3.0 RC2 released
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox V3.0 RC2 released

RaymiiRaymii Member

Yeey, my favorite virtualization tool has got a new update, almost at the big 3 release!

Whats new since 2.3:

RC2 Released 15.05.2013

pve-kernel-2.6.32 2.6.32-100
  - fix CVE-2013-2094
  - update ceph packages to 0.61.2

libpve-common-perl 3.0-4:
  - fix bug #381: use persistent reservation file for ports

libpve-storage-perl 3.0-6
  rbd : clone volume to same pool that base volume
  - extend storage list API with useful parameters for clone
  - fix iscsi session scan bug

pve-cluster 3.0-2
  - fix bug 383: restart pveproxy instead of apache2

pve-manager 3.0-17
  - StorageSelector: allow to use new target option, used by Clone
  - fix bug #385: correctly handle Accept-Encoding
  - fix bug #374: correctly remove destroyed container from pool

pve-qemu-kvm 1.4-12
  - vma create: only store basename of config file.

qemu-server 3.0-12
  - clone disk : keep source volume params
  - clone: check is we can clone to target storage
  - fix bug #381: use PVE::Tools::next_migrate_port()
  - restore: do not restore template flag

vncterm 1.1-3
  - re-enable javascript-events.patch (needed by migrate)

RC1 Released 08.05.2013: See Downloads
  - based on Debian 7.0 (Wheezy)
  - new VM clone feature
  - new event driven API server (pveproxy)
  - completely replace apache2
  - efficient support for HTTP keep-alive
  - support bootlogd (boot log can be viewed on the GUI)
  - update qemu-kvm to 1.4.1
  - update kernel to vzkernel-2.6.32-042stab076.7.src.rpm
  - changed default IO Scheduler to 'deadline'
  - updated Intel network drivers for e1000e, igb and ixgbe
  - bug fixes (for all details see bugtracker and GIT

Source

Download ProxMox VE

As you can see I'm a big fan of Proxmox, used it both personally and professionally and have written a command line proxmox manager named proxbash.sh for it which you can find here: https://raymii.org/s/software/ProxBash.html (Saved my ass a lot of times when VPN configurations did not allow port 8006...)

Comments

• Updating right now, thanks for the heads up

• wilbowilbo Member

Can Proxmox be used to create Windows containers?

• @wilbo said:
    Can Proxmox be used to create Windows containers?

Yes, with KVM

• I think Proxmox is a pretty decent piece of software. I've had positive experiences using it.

• Don't forget to match up your /etc/apt/sources.list

Your "stable" should be "squeeze" if your Promox sources are "squeeze" also

If your Debian sources say stable and not squeeze, you're going to have a bad time

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@SysAdmin said:
    I think Proxmox is a pretty decent piece of software. I've had positive experiences using it.

Me too. Way better than vmware. Altough when vmware is set up and works it is quite stable, but when stuff goes wrong and you need support, the indian helpdesk is very very bad. And of course, no paravirtualization (containers) with vmware, proxmox allows me to get more performance out of the hardware when only *NIX boxes are needed...

• The only common complaint about Proxmox is the lack of IPv6 support which is a non issue on a shared web hosting box since cPanel.... does not support IPv6 either

• @doughmanes said:
    The only common complaint about Proxmox is the lack of IPv6 support which is a non issue on a shared web hosting box since cPanel.... does not support IPv6 either

It does support IPv6 I believe, just not sure how well it supports it. I remember being able to create an IPv6-only container on there.

• @mpkossen said:
    It does support IPv6 I believe, just not sure how well it supports it. I remember being able to create an IPv6-only container on there.

I think he means you can't assign ipv6 addresses and it won't set the AAAA records.

• @BronzeByte said:
    I think he means you can't assign ipv6 addresses and it won't set the AAAA records.

Ah, OK :-)

I may give Proxmox a spin again. If their IPv6 support would be up-to-par it would be even better!

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@mpkossen said:

I may give Proxmox a spin again. If their IPv6 support would be up-to-par it would be even better!

It can be done via the command line :) What more do you need? :P

• @Raymii said:
    It can be done via the command line :) What more do you need? :P

Exactly. But I'd just be using Proxmox to easily create and destroy containers for testing, etc (when writing guides).

• @mpkossen said:
    Exactly. But I'd just be using Proxmox to easily create and destroy containers for testing, etc (when writing guides).

Plus run KVM and OVZ on the same box ;-)

• wilbowilbo Member

v 3.0 released today

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am a fan too, our LEC should have been based on it, but has no way to give out pools with limits, unfortunately.
    It does evolve and get better, in the past i was torn between XCP and proxmox but for some reason Proxmox with KVM gives better performance than XCP with HVM.
    XCP with PV is still better than OVZ, tho, even if Proxmox supports veth.
    For linux only i choose XCP, for mixed environments, Proxmox, even tho I dont like OVZ "features".