Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how Backup without encryption and compression
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how Backup without encryption and compression

ThomLSAThomLSA Member
edited February 2017 in Help

Hello, i want to back-up my whole /home/ folder and database to a FTP server, without compression or encryption. Just in a zip or tar so i can unpack it easily.

How can i do this, was trying duplicity but still difftar files. ]

Is there maybe a simple back-up script?

Comments

• tar cvpf - $HOME | netcat

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

WSS said: tar cvpf - $HOME | netcat

Not sure why you'd want to get into netcat for someone who is obviously not a super-technical user?

Maybe just:

cd /home
    tar cpf username.tar username

And then you have a .tar to send. On the other side:

cd /home
    tar xpf username.tar

I believe it's possible to not compress with zip but...it's pointless since you can do that with tar and I don't feel like looking up the "turn off compression" flag for zip :-)

WSS said: I once hupped a thread in BSD-Reno, just to watch it die.

Now I'm wondering if BSD 4.3 had threads...I guess it probably did because I think that's the release where POSIX was stuffed in.

• Use webdav and auto-publish it on your web site. Don't forget to make it SEO friendly.

• @raindog308 said:

WSS said: I once hupped a thread in BSD-Reno, just to watch it die.

Now I'm wondering if BSD 4.3 had threads...I guess it probably did because I think that's the release where POSIX was stuffed in.

Guess you didn't make it to USENIX that year.. https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/compsystems/1990/win_boykin.pdf

• Is SSH an option? I can do that in one line.

Otherwise, a script involving ncftp is probably what is needed.